NYCFC Stadium News (Or Lack Thereof)

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by sozopol, Aug 20, 2014.

1. sozopol

sozopol Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    This is really demoralizing.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/artic...s-over-soccer-site-stall-city-looks-elsewhere

I really thought the Bronx site was going to happen, but it sounds like nothing is happening. Despite the mayor's spokesperson saying they are working hard to find a site blah blah...

Very disturbing that the club spokesperson said they would build in NYC if possible... that's the first time I heard the back door cracking open like that....

Anyone want to hazard a guess how this is going to end up?

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it's going to take time. And you will not hear about it on BigSoccer first.

3. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Maybe NYCFC will get lucky and build next to NYRB.

cwilke1 repped this.
  4. storming06

storming06 Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm hoping they have a better site in mind now and have just moved on. I'm sure they elevator guy was wanting a big number, but I doubt that would stop a deal alone given the financial resources of the team

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yonkers here they come...

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there is a pretty stadium in Harrison, maybe they can buy 50% and rebrand it RedBullcityarena.

7. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fans need to get involved. Hold a demonstration. Get on the news. Yeah right! ;)

8. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    503960294855831552 is not a valid tweet id

[​IMG]

9. sozopol

sozopol Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    From a supporters group twitter? Sorry I don't buy it. I hope I'm wrong.

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That supporters group is very entwined with the NYCFC front office.

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Yankees sister stadium is dead?

12. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I guess Yankee Stadium is going to be home for quite some time.. :oops:

13. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope not, but until we here something further let's make the best of it. Despite it not being a soccer stadium, I am confident that huge passionate crowds can help overcome some of the problems. Pack the house!

napolisoccer repped this.
  14. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    this isn't a bad thing in a certain respect.

I think NYCFC isn't being as transparent enough. I have a buddy in NYC, I live in FL now, that was offered to buy season tix for his company. If there are season ticket holders and supportors group they need to be sending a very detailed and transparent weekly update especially so on there stadium plans.

I think they might be putting the cart before the horse. SKC is showing a stadium doesn;t have to be downtown anymore to have success. What's needed is a FO that makes the supportor groups, the diehards and season ticketholders feel they are involved and make them feel they have a voice and in certain respect a say in matters.

then the stadium can go almost anywhere those people will follow because theyve invested emotionally enough to go see the stadium no matter where it's built.

that said the size of the stadium should be kept small, definitely un 25k maybe even under 20k. That doesnt mean the stadium needs to look junior varsity. having a multi decked grand stand and a roof over all stands and making the stands steep will make it feel big despite being 20k. Having comfortable seats yet seats that are close together will allow most od the capacity to be along the touchlines and thus will provide more atmosphere. it's basic psycology if ppl feel they are in a sea of ppl or a mob they devlop a mod mentality, that's one ofr the reasons terrace stands also create more atmosphere.

having the lowest bowl having traditional tight not cramped seating helps, and the rest of the stadium have safe standing ie rail seating.

i hope these pics show my idea
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    at least have this in the supporter in supporter ends

and have majoirty of capacity along touchlines like below estadio jose rico perez

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I satdium like this with roof and safe stand area behind at least one goal, and a front very communicative with season ticket holders and supporting group that say maybe are given some sort of say on GM selection ala Seattle set up or La Liga setup where they vote for a club Pres.

I think with these things the stadium can be anywhere ppl willl go

15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Except Harrison, NJ.

16. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hate these "features" in stadiums. It feels like I'm about to go on some cork-screw roller coaster. Also, in that second picture, didn't England ban those crowd control bars in supporter sections? You know, some of the elements that people got crushed against in Hillsborough? Yeah, not a feature I would tout.

Resurgens repped this.
  17. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This unfortunately is not the way it works. When you are dealing with negotiations between City leaders and departments, creditors (parking garage), and other third party's (GAL) you pretty much have to stay silent. The supporters know that they are working on it, I can't imagine they plan to be at Yankee Stadium any longer than they have too. Any information they put out will likely be a.) detrimental to their negotiating tactics b.) allow for outsiders to voice concerns and slow the whole thing down and c.) lead to increased frustration if information they put out ends up falling apart.
    I'm not sure if you were around during the early Metrostars days, but the constant 60-90 days statement the club made for so long, that kept passing by with no new info, only led to more anger and frustration among the fan base. They (and now US) would have been much better off staying quiet and using the "We are working on many possibilities right now and are optimistic" and other stock statements.

It does not have to be in downtown, it has to be in a location that is convenient and close to the population centers. In KC, they built the stadium in a very popular and trendy area with easy access. In NYC, the population center is so huge that it does not matter where you build as long as the site has great access and is in a place where most NY'ers are familiar with. This is why the Yankee Stadium garage location is go great and will be hard to beat.

12thman and MiLo4891 repped this.
  18. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Absolutely agree.

19. sozopol

sozopol Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    What does everyone think of the Aqueduct site, as reported in that CNY article? Not ideal at all, being pretty far from "downtown" (whatever that means in NYC-- Manhattan below 72nd and downtown Brooklyn?) But at least it would be right at a subway station.

I'd prefer the GAL/Yankee Stadium site but it sounds like that is pretty much off the table at this point.

20. davidrpaige

davidrpaige Member

May 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Given the ties that NYCFC have with the Yankees it would have been better to be in the Bronx. The other bonus would have been the multiple subway lines that stopped at Yankee Stadium. It'll be interesting to see how locals welcome a Yankee backed NYCFC in Queens, more of a Mets stronghold.

Aquaduct has a lot of potential for further development, so that is a bonus to the site. An Aquaduct stadium is on the A line, which is great. Let me revise that: It is great is on the subway, too bad it is the A line. The A sucks. It could always be worse, like being on the N or the R...or the F! Yikes, that would be the worst if it was on the F.

Overall, I think Aquaduct can become a good site but it definitely has that "plan C" feel to it.

Zoidberg repped this.
  21. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 whill4, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    Kinda meh on aquaduct location. But it's better than nothing I suppose. It's just that the Bronx site would have been perfect.

22. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Yonkers be a better location for NYCFC than Brooklyn or Queens if it's not possible to do it in the Bronx? I know it's way north, but if it would seem to be more convenient for fans who live in Upper Manhattan, the Bronx and Westchester.

23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Two problems with Yonkers. One is that the NYC subway doesn't go there. Two is that NYCFC's ads have been touting themselves as the team for New York's 5 boroughs.

Resurgens repped this.
  24. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is New York CITY FC !!!!!