NYCFC Academy League

Discussion in 'MLS: Youth & Development' started by soccershins, Feb 9, 2015.

1. soccershins

soccershins Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    FC Porto
    NYCFC announced that they will be creating an entire academy league with their 11 youth affiliate teams. This seems like it has the potential to be huge for them and will help distinguish themselves from the red bulls. Thoughts?

Link: NYCFC Academy League

2. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much of it will depend on how they execute, but I am expecting big things from this set-up! With such a massive population in the tri-state metro area, the opportunity is massive. We have seen such a low amount of quality talent coming from this region, hopefully this type of set-up will change that.

3. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's.....a pretty brilliant idea.

More smart decisions like this moving forward, and less ridiculous, silly, boneheaded ones would do them a world of good.

tab5g repped this.
  4. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    At the age groups they're talking about (9-11) what does running your own league buy you in terms of development?

Easier to keep an on eye the teams?

msilverstein47 repped this.
  5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    We can talk about their stadium issues and Lampard, but the one thing I've been confident about NYCFC is their commitment to youth development. Something different and needed for MLS and American soccer overall. Ferran Soriano is the Global Technical Director for CFG and I'd expect some very high level coaches (and teaching for NYCFC's affiliate coaches) for NYCFC's academy when it's launched.

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just keeping an eye on the teams, but also tying a large pool of players to the NYCFC USDA team rather than leaving them "in the wild" where the Red Bulls could potentially grab them.

7. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if they do it right, it will allow them to partner with established organizations who know their communities. If NYCFC provides additional support such as financial, travel and access to world-class coaching and training of coaches, this could make this a great foundation to a youth academy, which will likely incorporate the more elite players from this league.
    Had they not set this system up, these organizations likely would have been competing with NYCFC instead of cooperating.

8. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I understand the need for having affiliates, that's not what's new here, tons of teams have various affiliates.

The new thing in this announcement is that all the affiliates are playing in a new league together, and that's what i'm trying to figure out what that actually means.

9. scheck

scheck Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like they're trying to create not just one academy, but many.

http://www.nycfc.com/post/2015/02/0...ce-ground-breaking-youth-development-league-1

I get the feeling nycfc has more control over the day to days of these teams than a typical affiliation would bring.

10. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    so, man city just expanded their youth pool. cool

11. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much. But it will also have some pretty big benefits for NYCFC. While the cream of the crop will likely go to MCFC, there are going to be a lot of players below MCFC level of play, but still in NYCFC's.

12. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    wouldn't that have been the case for any youth players in the NYCFC pool? MLS embracing a dream of being AA isn't exactly new with this.

13. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except of course when MLS becomes a top league in the world by 2024 (or whatever it's supposed to be) and this academy will encompass the Man City youth pool.

profiled and tab5g repped this.
  14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I'd imagine it would be easier for kids in this academy system to eventually sign with MLS rather than to get the necessary WPs and such to sign with MCFC.

This is good business for all involved (hopefully).