NYC and the nightlife

Discussion in 'NYC OT' started by napolisoccer, Nov 9, 2008.

1. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    NYC is a mythical city in the world for many reasons : economical, financial, architectural and above all because it is the most multiethnic city in the world. But another fundamental aspect of this city is that it is a 24/7 city : in fact the subway, buses, trains , delis, groceries etc are open 24/7.
    Even the 4 AM LAST CALL in the bars and clubs to contribute to create the world myth of the CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS.
    Yesterday I read this article of the last 18th April about the new NYC clubs and bars ( http://www.nysun.com/new-york/4-am-last-calls-could-be-headed-the-way-of-smoky/74836/ ) and I am a little worried.
    I know that almost all the NYC SOCCER fans live in NYC and are youngs.
    WHAT IS THE ACTUAL SITUATION ABOUT THE TIME CLOSING OF THE NEW CLUBS / BARS OF NYC ? I HOPE THAT ALSO THE MOST OF THEY HAVE THE LAST CALLS AT 4 AM.

2. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    these closing time stipulations are for new establishments, not already existing ones, so don't worry too much. I know both Brad Hoylman and Susan Stetzer, and they should be ashamed of themselves. Both are keenly aware of the mystique that is nyc, and they know that their neighborhoods have always been at the heart of the nightlife scene, so they should know, and do know, that what they are trying to do is backwards thinking. Nevertheless, they are responding to stodgy old neighborhood residents who belong to the community board who are at the pinnacle of NIMBY ("not in my backyard thinking")

The stupidest thing of all of this is that when you have a closing time of 4 a.m., it spreads out the time people leave, which means less time in the street. If bars and clubs suddenly all had to close at 2, the streets will be riotous at that time.

3. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    most bars in nYC close at 4 - there are some - that if you knock on the door and you are known - will let you in beyound that!! :)

4. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks boys. Fortunately I have seen on NYC citysearch site that also some new bars / clubs are open until 4 AM for 7 days.
    I have another little curiosity : in Italy the Saturday late night ( 12 AM - 5 AM ) and Sunday late night ( 12 AM - 5 AM ) are the days with more people in the bars/clubs and on the streets. Instead I know that in NYC that happens above all the Friday late night, the Saturday late night and also the Thursday late night.
    My ask is this : what is instead the night ( 12 AM / 5 AM ) with fewer people in the bars / clubs and in the streets of NYC ? Is it Sunday late night or Tuesday late night for example ?

5. tommymcb

tommymcb Member

Feb 14, 2007
    CT
    Napoli, where in nyc do you live and why have you not been to any borough boy events? Why, napoli, why?

6. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Unfortunately lo live in NYC is only a my dream.........................

7. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Napoli you are misinformed...

the city that never sleeps is BUENOS AIRES...... NY is in bed and sleeping at 4 am

Buenos Aires is non stop all night long night clubs end at 7 am and you can continue at after hours... only in buenos aires can you buy pizza at a 24 hour pizza parlor and eat a major meal at a proper restaurant not a diner mind you....

montevideo night life shuts down at 7 am and after hours kicks up at 7:01 in the morning....

I wont even mention GLAM Punta del este which right now as we speak my friends just text me that they just left at 14:41 (2:41pm for you yanks) a sunday night electronica festival thats started last night at 00:00 Hours last night...(12 am for you yanks)

sorry to break the news napoli NY sleeps well while in other places the party is a non stop...

send me a napoli banderine PM me nap.....

8. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Before the no-fun fascist regimes of Rudy and Bloomy.. NYC used to be the city that never sleeps

I remember getting out of places like Twilo at 10-11 and heading over the Kinsale for a match ..

9. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have to disagree - i still know of places where at 4AM - you can go to continue the evening! Maybe not as many and you might have to know where to find them but they still exist

10. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I do to ... but there are alot fewer than there used to be.

11. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Buenos Aires hasn't a subway open 24/7/365.......................

12. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    actually yes it does..................................................

13. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Actually it does not. Actually, it shuts down at the tea-totling hour of 11 pm. As for the rest, Flaco, if you're not staying out past 4 in NYC, it's because 1) you're a sleepyhead, or 2) you don't know where to go. At least that was my experience in my day, which wasn't too long ago.

And I have to say, Punta Del Este is crap. Benidorm, but worse. And Montevideo is about as interesting as Baltimore.

14. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Actually, it's worse than I thought!

The subway system runs Monday to Friday from 6am to 10pm. and Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays from 6am to 8pm. The price is $ 0.70.

15. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  16. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually not having the metro running all night isn't that big of a deal in BsAs. You can always find a cab at any hour of the day which are pretty economical and the cab drivers unlike in the City can actually speak the local language. For the record though I have always loved the ability to take the subway at any time or place.

What about Punta del Este made you think it was crap?

17. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OK, unfortunately I never have been in NYC. But flaco loves this fantastic city ?
    I know at least 500 / 600 places ( delis, restaurants etc ) open 24/7 in Manhattan. Is it true that I know they just thanks to internet, but is it so important ?

18. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I love Buenos Aires, and might be the best city in the world to see football (when there's not violence). I was just responding to Flaco, who said the subway was open 24/7, which it's not.

Punta del este, on the other hand has all the obnoxiousness of the hamptons and all the physical charms of places like Benidorm or Rimini.

19. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I know you were responding to Flaco, I was simply pointing out that the train is really a non-issue much like in the City where you can always get around. As far as Punta de Este is concerned, it's obviously the Argentines on vacation you don't like:D

20. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    It has to be said... sorry.