PBP: NWSL Week 8 discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by lil_one, May 16, 2018.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got my GOTW vote locked in. This was pretty.

2. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *(also the first player born in the 21st Century)

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  3. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Lloyd's goal ruin my prediction

blissett repped this.
  4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    You missed Kleiner for Nielsen

6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I have motion sickness

7. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Another wasted opportunity from Taylor

8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    07' 0-0 Rapinoe passes to Taylor clean through box top right post. Taylor veers left to 12m left post, muffed left instep shot has neither pace nor placement, skitters softly directly to Naeher. Shiba says 'mlem'.

9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note for next week: Lavelle could come off the injury list! :eek::thumbsup:

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  10. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+2' (of +3') 0-0 Half-chances and scrambles in both boxes, but mostly we stopped each other.

FT 0-0. Lack of edge. Both GKs were way too good for the wistful fluff that reached them.

Lack of fans, too :mad::oops:

59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :laugh:

Carli "Spanish Inquisition" Lloyd!

CoachJon repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, of course, when I predict NC to win by 1-0, they decide to win by 2-1. But at Least Lloyd's goal let me have the goal difference right.

(Awful week for my overall predictions, anyway! :x3:)

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just finished watching highights, ad in fact Taylor has been incredibly wasteful so far. o_O

14. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Regarding the Seattle/Chicago game, it proved that both Rapinoe and Kerr are mortal.

Gilliland and Huerta stuck to Rapinoe like fly-paper most of the game. Chicago couldn't get the ball to Kerr often -- and Seattle's back line kept her away from the goal.

Fishlock for Seattle seems prone to minor injury these days -- not as durable as she has been in past years. Jasmyn Spencer very impressive for Seattle in her 20 minutes on the field -- although recalling past seasons she usually has problems getting shots on goal.

Player of the Match? Hard to say. The center backs of both teams were equal to the task. Maybe Naughton for Chicago? Or Gordon of Chicago?

I've complained often that Chicago's offense underperforms. That seems to be true this year, as well as in the past. Maybe Huerta should move into attacking mid-field, the number 10, role? She has played that a little bit and seems good at it.

blissett repped this.
  15. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #40 CoachJon, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    My game report from NC at Sky Blue.
    I had fun chatting with @LucyFearsTheMorningStar and meeting some of the Cloud 9 crew. I also met Mike and his family who came down from Rochester. Mike’s daughter has the same birthday as Sabrina D’Angelo; they were, of course, disappointed that D’Angelo was not there. Over the years, they have won some of the Flash jersey raffles, including Adriana Martin and Liz Eddy.

From very early in the day, it rained and rained and rained and rained and rained. Fans stayed sheltered underneath the stands even during the pre-game warm ups. Wonderfully, the rain stopped for the game. The field was in excellent shape, aside from its blotchy coloring. In the second half, the temperatures dropped a bit and the surface was more slippery than the first half. Fog appeared as well – it was very hard to distinguish players who were on the far side of the field. The lights were reflected back up and diffused like car lights do when driving in a fog.

I enjoyed the battle between McCaskill and Hinkle in front of us during the first half. If one didn’t know better, one might have thought that Hinkle was the outside forward and McCaskill was the right fullback from where most of the confrontations took place.

After Sully’s fair charge bump that left McCaskill on the ground, I remembered something Riley said about her and I decided that I would refer to her as Denise (The108 Pound Beast) O’Sullivan.

During the game, I was bemoaning how nearly all free kick shots were going over the goal. The pros practice these all the time – in my mind, it should be like taking a basketball free throw – they should be able to hit either top ¼ of the goal every time. Carly Lloyd made my point in stoppage time. When her shot went in I thought: “That is how you do it.”

As further proof that gambling can have a negative impact on sports. I actually felt kind of happy when Lloyd’s shot went in because it made my game prediction score exactly right..........

P.S. Jill Ellis was at the game. Before it started she was up in the stands and crossed through the empty seats in front of me to make her way back to the press box.