PBP: NWSL Week 23 Discussion: WAS-NJ

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Gilmoy, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A one-game week is still a week :p

[WAS-NJ] Washington's starting line-up is not yet announced, due to ... weather.
    Meehan for K.Johnson; Gibbons for Lloyd; RB Skroski for LM Dorsey (and LM <= Hoy, Tiernan => RM, LB <= Frisbie; LCB <= Richardson; RCB <= Freeman).

Sky Blue: Q Meehan / OUT Stott / INTL Dorsey (USA U-23), K.Johnson (MEX), Lloyd, McCaskill (USA U-23), Rodriguez (CRC)
    Washington: Q nil / OUT Huster E.Johnson Wys / D45 Weimer / PITRPATR Matthews / INTL ARG Banini; BIH Haracic; CAN Quinn; USA Lavelle Pugh; USA U-23 Eubanks Hatch Sullivan :thumbsup:

Washington D.C. is currently in a weather delay, gates open no sooner than 20:00 EDT. That puts kick-off at least 1 hour away.

2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Two minutes ago, the Spirit's Twitter said gates were gonna open for the game to start at 9:55pm, but if there are any other lightning delays (which I'm kinda expecting) then the game will be postponed. Some responses to said Tweet are already saying it's off for tonight..

blissett repped this.
  3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lightning struck, but has since passed.
    Kickoff shall be at 18:55 PDT ... in 11 minutes? Are they off by an hour?

Huh, it occurs to me now that the odd voice saying "Nope, can't hear you" every couple of minutes is ... from the NWSL WAS-NJ stream. He must be a sound technician prepping the game audio.

I shall test the hypothesis by muting the Pac-12 stream. If I hear him again, it's NWSL :D

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Less than a minute ago, the official Spirit account confirmed that the game will be played tomorrow at 10am

blissett repped this.
  5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [WAS-NJ] is postponed. Lightning and curfew.

It shall be played tomorrow morning, 09/02 Sun at 07:00 PDT.

blissett repped this.
  6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game's on. No one else up watching the bottom two, I guess. But I'm seriously hoping for a NJ win.

blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm following tangentially on Twitter. Sad to think that NJ was awarded a penalty and missed it.

blissett repped this.
  8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also sad to think NJ have to play Chicago on Tuesday...with travel. Its ridiculous. Their legs are going to be dead.

Now at halftime. Still 0-0.

blissett repped this.
  9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Killion lead the league in made PKs her rookie year? I know her success rate dropped off. She was banged up by the foul, so, absent Lloyd, it made sense to have Groom take it. Dan Lauletta has said it seems that Groom has lost her nose for the goal.........

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Frisbie complained about that on Twitter

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ok, really no hope for NJ this year: Arielle Ship just scored at 71'. :(

But even before that, Sky Blue players were looking tired, out of ideas and technically prone to any kind of mistake. Pierre-Louis, who had just entered the pitch after subbing-in for Hoy, basically gifted the ball to Ship without even trying to retrieve it. And after that, the scramble in front of Sky Blue's goal that led to the goal epitomized all of the confusion and of the technical poorness that this team can showcase, that already lead to countless goals against in this season.

Well, I guess Sky Blue are a hopeless case this year... :unsure:

12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And now Sky Blue hits the crossbar at 77', after water break. :x3:

Just hopeless... Everything against them: everything could go wrong goes wrong and everything could go right, goes wrong anyway.

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Killion scores from just inside the box at 86'!!!! :eek:

Sky Blue happened to lose beyond 90' in this season: maybe they can try to win in the last minutes, for a change??? :cautious:

Edit: 4 minutes of stoppage-time: come on Sky Blue, you can make it!!! :ninja:

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nothing to do: 1-1 FT.

Sky Blue players at the final whistle look disheartened and lower their heads in dismay as if they've just lost a knock-out round in a tournament. :(

15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, Sky Blue can't buy a win. Hit the crossbar twice in the game and had the run of play but still only manages a draw against a team that had only scored one goal since May.

blissett repped this.
  16. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Gotta love the goal by Killion. Apparently she didn't think the game was over.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You don't hit the bottom of the table without being bad, but there's definitely a certain amount of unluckiness that rattled Sky Blue these past two months, as most of us would call it at least. I remember not too long ago some university math team in England came out with an analysis of luck for the 17-18 Premier League in collaboration with ESPN, and unfortunately for Sky Blue, hitting the woodwork is not one of the "official" luck factors even though we as fans often talk about it that way (though a goal scored past allotted time *is* one of the luck factors, which would have at least given them their win versus Utah).

blissett repped this.
  18. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't watch sky blue FC anymore. It's like watching a train wreck unfold. I hope those players have access to mental health care and are able to smile at something at the end of the day. That team deserves better than the way the league has treated them these last few years.