PBP: NWSL Week 14* Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Semblance17, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando Pride had a goal, actually an own goal by NC, but negated by a phantom foul call. Currently NC is dominating and up 2-0.

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was up all early morning watching FIVB VNL-w semis :thumbsup: then :sleep:
    [ORL-NC]

1013142671806861312 is not a valid tweet id

Orlando: Q Mônica (starting) / OUT none
    North Carolina: Q Dahlkemper (starting) Hinkle S.Mewis / OUT Eddy King

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    37' 0-1 Debinha simple pass to Dunn at arc top right, and Debinha back-cuts her defender on a hard run through arc top. Dunn lifts a scoop-pass to spot, nobody gets the 1st bounce. Debinha juggles before 2nd bounce, spins to backshield, then steps back to 10m right post and hooks a shot low to 1/4 right. Harris is wrong-footed still going toward right post, sprawls right and gets a glove on ball, but it trickles over the line.

4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That 4-4-2 for Orlando was a terrible idea. Game could have gone differently had he stayed with a 4-3-3.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    39' 0-2 NC circulate left-to-right across arc top. Debinha final pass right to Mathias coming up unmarked to box top right. Mathias one-touch right foot shot rising -- deflects down off Zadorsky(?), wrong-foots Harris again, bounces into center back low.

40' 0-3 Van Egmond dribbles to 35m center, rolls a soft pass to Dunn facing away at 23m center. Three heads swivel Dunn-ward, J.McDonald begins her hard cut through arc top mid-left. Dunn rolls a pass through arc left to 12m 6-left, McDonald snaps one-touch right instep bend around Harris, into back right edge 1/2 high. Blown coverage, RCB Mônica was caught way inside watching Dunn, and never went with McDonald.

FT 0-3.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    In two consecutive games, NC has demolished the then-second-place team by a combined score of 7-1. The Shield is theirs, but I hope they run in to the Royals in the playoffs, since Utah seems to be the one team to really give NC trouble, having taken 4pts from 2g against the Courage.

blissett repped this.
  7. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the consensus on Van Egmond? I have not been impressed.

8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [SEA-POR] Addo for Kawasumi; Yanez for Andrews; Barnes for McNabb; L.Williams for Betos.

Raso for Menges (and Reynolds => LCB, Carpenter => RB).

Seattle: Q none / OUT Averbuch Dallstream Fishlock J.Johnson
    Portland: Q Heath Purce; OUT Foord Menges Morris

9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [UTA-SkB] Stengel for Rodriguez; Tymrak for Matheson (and Gorry => LM); S.Johnson for Corsie (and Sauerbrunn => RCB).

Tiernan for McCaskill (and Beckie => LF, Groom => RF, Dorsey => LM).

Utah: Q none / OUT Arlitt Doniak Laddish O’Hara
    Sky Blue: Q Meehan / OUT Hoy K.Johnson Pierre-Louis Stott

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rude. Everyone wants the Courage to fail, and I'm getting tired of it.

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you know how I feel sometimes. (Although the Courage are so far ahead, I'm glad to see them win against the Pride.)

12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know! I'm for Golden State (because I watched Klay live at WSU), and the rest of the league is salty toward "us"!

... I love it :D

13. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [UTA-SkB]
    07' 1-0 Bowen right throw-in at arc top, back to Gorry. Gorry passes up right touch to Bowen, backpass to Gorry. Gorry turns and bends a ground cross to 8m right post, behind Richardson and Freeman stranded too high at 15m. Jónsdóttir makes a hard cut through box top center toward right post, dragging RB Skroski with her -- ruh roh, Press now lurks unmarked at spot! Ball skips just over Jónsdóttir's left foot, rolls across to 4m 5-left. Press runs around ball, shoots left instep pull under Sheridan at left post, across mouth into back right low. Brilliant run by Jónsdóttir, she basically beat the entire back line by herself.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Eh, nothing against the Courage from me - I'm not annoyed with them like I was with the Reign for two years. (Don't ask me why, I'm not sure myself what irked me about Seattle that currently isn't irking me about NC.) But I'm all for a supposedly-high-parity league never having the Double happen unless both trophies were truly toss-ups.

15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Speaking of high parity, if both live results end up standing and Chicago beats DC tomorrow, we'll have teams 2-6 all within 1pt of each other! Which is a clumping that I find highly entertaining. =-)

[I just think high parity doesn't mean much if it doesn't extend to the top of the table. Remember year 1 when we could've had a 4-way tie for first going in to the last matchday? That was AWESOME.]

blissett repped this.
  16. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just you. There's a lot of fans (I'm not including Seattle fans in this) who were all gung-ho for the Reign being dominant in 2014, but are actively rooting for NC to lose every week. It's been a complete double standard, and I'm sick of it.

17. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    24' 2-0 S.Johnson fires a long ground pass from circle tangent back left to Press at 32m mid-left. Press quickly rolls a perfect diagonal through-ball through arc top center for Stengel outrunning Richardson and Frisbie, with Freeman and Skroski stranded above arc top right and not even chasing. Stengel follows to 9m 3-right, Sheridan slides out low, Stengel mini-chips right foottop over Sheridan's legs and lifts ball across mouth, dropping into left side netting low.

28' 3-0 Gorry fk at 31m box right, sailed to 9m 1/5 left. Stengel starts in a 2-v-2 pile at box top arc left, steps out of that centerward up to Freeman's back, then back-cuts her as Freeman watches ball. Stengel jumps alone :oops:, twist-snaps a header perfectly into left 90. Then Stengel runs into own right end zone, to the concrete wall at the start of the end zone seats -- and sits in the golden throne :eek:

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    62' 3-1 S.Johnson chips long to circle center, Killion(?) heads down to circle top. Beckie counters up centerline to 26m left post, taps a diagonal pass to box top arc right for Groom. Groom cuts inside past S.Johnson to 12m right post, left foot shot kick-saved by A.Smith, out to 11m 4-left. Dorsey runs through it, one-touch tap back to box top right post. Lloyd steps back to ball, perfect one-touch left instep bend into back left edge 1/2 high, past A.Smith's dive.

Everybody saw that instep bend by Cavani today :eek: aerodynamics is beautiful

19. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #69 Gilmoy, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    [SEA-POR]
    89' 1-0 Rapinoe stands over ball at box top mid-left, drives 1-v-1 on Carpenter to 5m. Stutter-and-cross through a tiny window, fast to 5m center through a host of Thorn defenders. Boureille has sagged leftward away from J.Taylor inexplicably wide-open, Taylor is almost falling over forward and gets barely a foot-drag to ball -- right up open centerline, rolls into center back low. Basically, Rapinoe banked the ball in off her :barefoot:

Wow, all of Franch's amazing saves on tougher shots, and yet that's the one that gets through. +5' ...

FT 1-0. Yanez made a cut to left post that tied up Reynolds and Franch, and made Boureille take one wrong step. That's very similar to Jónsdóttir's cut across Skroski that collapsed Sky Blue's shape.

20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you ever criticized the Portland haters? They show up here from time to time.

21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'll be malicious and I'll claim that, from what we've seen this season, it looks like Taylor can only score this way, with the ball that basically bounces off her. :sneaky:

This was a veritable key-win vs a direct rival and in a difficult moment of the season. It could be a turning point for Seattle. For sure, we can't say that they didn't grab their points vs Portland, this season! :ninja:

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Back in Chicago folks. Heading to the Red Stars vs Washington game.
    Three NWSL games in five days. I have to tell you, it is hotter in Chicago than Orlando.

One thing I like about Orlando is how the local media including TV mentions the Pride consistently. They give game highlites, have Sermanni's after game comments on multiple TV stations, several times that I saw. Chicago media of Red Stars coverage is non-existent.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    He was trying to get numbers up in the midfield and still managed to get over run. Hopefully this was a learning experience

24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [CHI-WAS] Chicago's line-up tweet may contain sensitive information :unsure:
    Stanton for Brian.
    1013537531831439360 is not a valid tweet id

Dougherty Howard for Lohman (and T.Huster => RF, Ordega => LF).

Chicago: Q Brian White / OUT McCaffrey
    Washington: Q Banini Eubanks Lavelle Solaun / OUT Farquharson Matthews Pugh Ship
    Washington always seems to have the most spectacular injury reports.

go90 stream just went live. It's Dog Day at Toyota Park :thumbsup:

blissett repped this.
  25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... but with temperatures soaring (86°F, heat index 94°F), non-stop rain, and swirling winds ~15 mph, I'd settle for Human Day at Toyota Park :(

01' 0-0 Mautz crosses from wide left to 8m center, Bledsoe dives on ball but carries self + ball into Vasconcelos's legs. Ball pops out to spot, Kerr pounces and shoots one-touch past Bledsoe still down -- chest-blocked by Church, cleared.

15' 0-0 Chicago have most of the attacks, but no real opportunities yet. Windy swirls carry the ball in weird ways, and it's slippery.