NWSL State of the Union - moving toward 2018

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by MRAD12, Sep 14, 2017.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Good to hear SKC might actually be on board now, but what caught my eye was: another Minn-based group is in talks with the team? I find that far too coincidental for it to not be the Loons... Although, if it were MNU, I guess the article was also mention it as being a fourth MLS association too... Hmm...

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    We sat next to the owner the last game of the season. Nice guy, and he is looking ahead.

MRAD12 repped this.
  3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Seattles big issue might be where they will play. I think they are getting kicked out of Memorial. The Sounders stadium is too big, so it might be back to Tukwila.

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Memorial is getting kicked out off of Memorial :eek:
    That plot of real estate is just too valuable.

Cliveworshipper repped this.
  5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Ahh...must be a Paul Allen thing. He owns the rest of that end of town.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    blissett repped this.
  7. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    didn't know Boston was in this kind of hole. Now it really sucks that Sporting KC didn't take over FCKC.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    From what I can tell, they had high hopes for FCKC and low hopes for BOS, so RSL was looking to take over BOS' spot - but then the situation flipped, because SKC fell through while an ownership group for BOS appeared, with just the one issue that the BOS group wasn't immediately able to take over.

I think the worst-case scenario at this point is that BOS takes a year hiatus to give the group that NWSL seems to like the time to take over the team... BOS at least has a really nice vertical structure including a Reserves team that by design is full of players who aren't NCAA-eligible, so there's the possibility of holding an exhibition season, too, I hope. Best-case scenario is that NWSL finds the stopgap that BOS needs and the new group slides in when they're ready with no disruption to the team.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't know. "But I can't take over this year for 'reasons'" isn't particularly reassuring with regards to Boston.

blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Anyway, once RSL week is over, I hope we can get definitive answers to two main questions before 2018 actually rolls around:
    --What exactly is the fate of Boston?
    --When can we expect a real Commissioner to appear? No knock on Amanda, she's doing a great job as acting leader of the league, but having a real commissioner would be a very good thing to have moving forward.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Really? The last two of them really didn’t do much. From my point of view Duffy is doing more than the actual commissioners

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Bailey literally helped (and probably organized much of) the founding of the league. Getting all the ownership on board, hashing out the allocation process... That's nothing to be sniffed at. And she did help get Houston on board, so she has an expansion under her belt as well.

Plush oversaw getting Orlando on board and bringing on A+E. We also know he fielded far more expansion interest than just Orlando, even if none of the other groups at the time worked out. You can argue how much influence he had over the two-year attendance growth from 14 to 15 to 16, but I think you have to give him some credit for helping the league capitalize on the big international tournaments in those years. And finally, he oversaw the sale of the Flash to NC, and oversaw the update to the allocation process.

Duffy has done a good job in her year as managing director of operations, for sure. But the only major thing that's happened under her watch that we've seen thus far is the buyback of KC and expansion to SLC. She's also had to juggle the TV and streaming issues this year, but that's not as big of a deal IMO, especially since it's something she's inherited and not started from scratch.

She's done great as acting commissioner, for sure. But that's not supposed to be her job, and to say she's done more than either of the two previous commissioners is, I think, letting past frustrations cloud judgement. I just want someone as dedicated commissioner, even if that means she gets "promoted" to that position officially while someone else is hired as director of operations. And whoever ultimately is next commissioner, how they respect the NWSLPA will be a big gauge in how I view them as a leader.

CoachJon repped this.
  13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

lil_one, sitruc and blissett repped this.
  14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The next thing is the schedule. Massively hard to reschedule 20 matches especially with some teams not controlling their venue. Equally tough to replace those matches with byes and lose that home attendance.

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Welp. Can't say I didn't see that coming but it's still sad anyway. On one hand as C. Murray said this could signal a change from smaller ownership to larger ownership groups. But this still leave a bad taste in the mouth as any franchise folding is never a good look.

One can expect this to be covered by all the leading sports media that otherwise ignores the league on a day to day basis.

On the bright side, is it wrong that I'm excited about the dispersal draft? Which order will they use?

blissett repped this.
  16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reverse order. (Wishful thinking.)

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah... especially this close to the season starting. Doesn't leave much time for players to change life plans.

I expect normal draft order... If they do a dispersal draft at all. I mean, that definitely sounds like the best option to me too, and I'd bet it happens, but this is NWSL and we don't have much time to work with.

18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    My guess is this will follow what ever order is used for UFI. Which if no one have traded their spots will be reverse order

19. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I wouldn't do reverse order but I might reverse the order of the non playoff teams. Washington has had enough sunshine for one year.

Seattle
    SkyBlue
    Utah
    Houston
    Washington
    Chicago
    Orlando
    NC
    Portland

Blaze20 repped this.
  20. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    On the other hand if Im Houston, getting with Morgan Andrews or Megan Oyster at #2 would be sweet.

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's who's on the Boston roster/drafted list ... acknowledgement and thanks to Jen Cooper of Keeper Notes:

BOSTON As of 1/18
    Jsy # Player POS Off-Season 2018 Status Requires Int'l Slot
    3 Brooke Elby D signed for 2018
    7 Lotta Ökvist D/M signed for 2018 Y (Sweden)
    18 Tiffany Weimer F signed for 2018
    20 Christen Westphal D signed for 2018
    26 Angela Salem M signed for 2018
    23 Katie Stengel F Newcastle (Australia) signed for 2018
    2 Allysha Chapman D (2017 federation player)
    11 Rose Lavelle M (2017 federation player)
    4 Megan Oyster D 2nd yr contract option exercised
    8 Julie King D 2nd yr contract option exercised
    9 Natasha Dowie F Melbourne Victory (Australia) 2nd yr contract option exercised Y (England)
    10 Rosie White M 2nd yr contract option exercised Y (New Zealand)
    14 Abby Smith GK 2nd yr contract option exercised
    15 Sammy Jo Prudhomme GK 2nd yr contract option exercised
    17 Amanda Frisbie D Perth Glory (Australia) 2nd yr contract option exercised
    19 Adriana Leon M 2nd yr contract option exercised Y (Canada)
    21 Midge Purce D 2nd yr contract option exercised
    22 Ifeoma Onumonu F 2nd yr contract option exercised
    25 Morgan Andrews M 2nd yr contract option exercised
    33 Hayley Dowd F 2nd yr contract option exercised
    Savannah McCaskill F 2018 draftee
    Elizabeth Wenger D 2018 draftee
    Ashton Miller M/F 2018 draftee
    Joanna Boyles M/F 2018 draftee

As a reminder, all of the player contracts, except for the federation players, are with the NWSL, not with the individual clubs. The NWSL assigns the players to teams. What we think of as the team owners actually are Team Operators, who operate the teams under contracts with the NWSL. Now if the players don't want to move to another city, that is an issue to be dealt with. But, Boston's going under doesn't make the players free agents. Rather, they're still NWSL players, but they aren't currently assigned to a team. The same is true of the former KC players, except that I think the NWSL already has assigned them to RSL.

If my understanding is right, there are several groups of players that, in a sense, are "dispersal" players:

Players just coming out of college, dispersed via the college draft, in reverse order of how the teams finished in the last season (subject to trades)

Unattached Federation Individuals, dispersed via a "claims" process, following the same order as the college draft

Discovery players that remain unsigned. Where a team has not timely signed a discover player, the rights go to the next team with the player on its discovery list. If I'm reading the rule correctly, during the off-season, where more than one team has a player on its discovery list, the rights to try to sign the player follow the same order as the college draft.

Players under contract with the league from a team that is closing shop, such as Boston (and possibly also players to which they have rights but currently aren't under contract?). I don't see any rule on these players. I'm guessing, however, that the NWSL will put these players on a waiver list. If they do, then their dispersal follows the college draft order.
    One of the problems for teams wishing to acquire former Boston players (or players to which Boston had rights) is that they already are well into signing players and have to fit any non-federation players into their salary caps. And, as to international players, into their available international player caps. This is going to make things much more complex than teams simply claiming the players they think are the "best" based on their college draft positions.

lil_one repped this.
  22. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    maybe they'll do the thing we used to do in high school u go last to first then for the next round u go 1st to last

23. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    It's called the snake draft. Screwed me in my fantasy soccer league this year

kernel_thai repped this.
  24. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am very disappointed.
    I thought pretty hard aboout how to keep the team afloat in 2018, but any temporary measure makes it a lame duck team; not good for the players or the league.
    So an owner is needed. And there is no one that wants it. So the team folds. And 'expansion' for 2019 becomes 'replacement' and in my mind becomes urgent.
    :(

blissett repped this.
  25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Correct me if I am wrong: along with the salary cap, are't NWSL rosters bound to a quite tight limit?

Dispersal draft looks anyway sad to me, because all of Boston's players can't possibly fit into other teams' rosters. I'd dare to say that every Boston player re-allocated somewhere means another player losing her place in that team (give or take a few, because of retirements, transfers overseas, etc.).

So, basically, any way you look at it, about 20 players who would have had a job for next season will be weaved by their teams (or won't find a team, if from Boston Breakers). Dispersal draft is not going to change this: for every Lavelle or Leon who will find a place somewhere, another "minor" player will lose her job in some team.
    On the other hand, as cpthomas correctly put it, when we're this close to the beginning of the season, there are signed contracts that you can't just throw in the gutter. The teams were all more-or-less defined: how many of them, by looking ahead, have carved a niche in their roster in the possibility that Boston was going to fold? Maybe some keen-sighted one did, but I am not sure how many of them can easily accomodate players who weren't in their plans at all.

Not sure though: I admit I don't know much of how these things go, both technically, legally and financially, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.