2019 Player Moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Sep 11, 2018.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yes, we still have the postseason to play still, but that hasn't stopped player moves from happening already. Specifically, Van Wyk has already announced her departure from Houston. This thread is for all the offseason player (and coach? and league staff? and team??) moves we may get!

blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  3. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Well that will be two new coaches for next season? Just where are they going to find one? Any promising assistants? With the success Pauw has had at Houston, can we expect any more coaches by way of Europe?

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    blissett repped this.
  5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    As much as I like the idea of getting new coaching blood, I also like Tom in general. I'm kinda hoping that, as Riley just didn't fit with Portland, that Tom just didn't fit with Orlando and he gets picked up elsewhere in NWSL. The Spirit are currently sitting on an interim coach, and there are certainly question marks in Houston too.

...having more teams would help get new coaching blood, too, but that's unlikely to happen for 2019. Fingers crossed for 2020. (And we still very much need a commish.)

blissett repped this.
  6. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like every American professional women's soccer league we've had seems to want to implode right before a WWC year. Let's hope the NWSL clubs are able to stick around next season though it's not looking great for SBFC right now with their supporters group refusing to buy season tickets until things change.

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are rumors that Pauw might be leaving Houston. Also there are hints from media on twitter to the effect that if Pauw wasn't leaving, some players were going to leave.

8. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors, as in leaving Houston and going to another NWSL team or leaving the country?

9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    https://equalizersoccer.com/2018/09/20/vera-pauw-out-as-head-coach-of-houston-dash/

...says she wants to go back to husband in the netherlands.

MiLLeNNiuM and lil_one repped this.
  10. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Family decision. ;)

DynamoManiac repped this.
  12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    sounds like a variant of the well worn "spend more time with my family" departing statement.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This page published today on OL's website confirms that Jessica Fishlock is going to join OL, but it's just a loan until the end of the European season:

I am going to translate for non-French-speakers:

"OL women's team made a big hit on the last day of transfer market, Friday the 12th of September. Midfielder Jessica Fishlock joins Reynald Pedros' roster until the end of the season, on loan from American club Seattle Reign FC, where she was playing along with former Lyon's player Megan Rapinoe and where she just had to bow [to Portland] in play-offs' semifinals".

So it looks like Fishlock just changed her destination for NWSL off-season, from Australia to France. :coffee:

CoachJon repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UEFA Champions League Final is May 18 (if OL makes it to the final), so she'll hopefully be back for a good portion of the NWSL season.

blissett repped this.
  15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of course they'll make it, as in the last three years. :coffee:

:p

16. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Do I remember well that Reign had already tried to sign Kellond-Knight last season but there had been problems (most likely with visa)? :coffee:

This will probably mean that Seattle will have to waive an international (Kawasumi, since she's not a starter anymore in Vlatko's plans?).

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Close but no. It was confusion over NWSL's "discovery player" rules that stopped her from coming. At some point before the 2018 season started, NCC had claimed her as a discovery player, and either wouldn't or couldn't release their claim for Seattle to take her.

blissett repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Bledsoe has re-signed with the Spirit and will be going out on loan to Sydney FC (@BlueCrimson) for the offseason.

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    blissett and lil_one repped this.
  22. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Already posted that in the Sky Blue thread, but I repeat it here, where it could have more visibility:

Per the Norway thread, we get to know that Rebekah Stott and Amanda Frisbie signed for teams in Toppserien for 2019 season (Avaldsnes and Klepp respectively). Now, this doesn't look at all like some kind of off-season committment (à la Aussie-W-League): Norway season goes from March to November (with a long break in summer for WWC in France), so it more or less completely overlaps with NWSL.

What can it mean that two Sky Blue DFs (and starters in season 2018, if I remember well) decided to leave the ship? It could just mean that their experience in New Jersey was miserable, for the reasons we know, and that they want to change, but do I read too much into it if I doubt that they could have the feeling that there will be no Sky Blue in NWSL next season? :cautious:

24. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Yes, I think that's reading a bit too much into it. Other teams have had starters leave for Europe. And if SBFC were to fold, some players might be more inclined to stay, as that would mean they wouldn't be playing for SBFC anymore ;) So probably the more people we see go abroad the more likely it is that SBFC is staying and the people just wanted out of NJ.

blissett repped this.
  25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Leroux might miss the start of the 2019 season - she's announced that she's pregnant again. (I say "might" because IDK what her due date is, and I haven't seen the Pride say anything aside from "congrats".)

sitruc and blissett repped this.