NWSL Retirements

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Calci0, Oct 12, 2015.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  2. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    What are the chances Goodsen will be returning again?

3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course the NWSL isn't there yet; they still have to play the games to figure out who wins.:D

I.just. couldn't. resist.

4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we have another Seattle player to add to the list. Melis is retiring.

5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I always found it strange that she would have played another year so not too surprised that she is retiring.

6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Only three years a pro. That's definitely too early, but if there's a tantalizing job offer on the table... Oh well. =-/

8. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Why? I know she left the Nat. team, but has she stated future plans in the past that would make you think retirement was coming?

9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    indeed.

jazzmine reeves, a much better player, retired after 1 year, when amazon put some money on the table.

10. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    She was a Lynn Williams type of talent.
    She could have really developed in this league.

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing her injury was too great to overcome, realistically. Having had the chance to watch her play in person, that's really too bad. For those who want to see highly skilled technical players, she fit the mold really well. She was great to watch. I'm sorry to know she's out, I hope she comes back to Portland and coaches youth soccer (some of which she did while with the Thorns).

14. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Sad news about Farrelly. The league is losing skilled playmakers - Holiday, Freels, Farrelly, Little, others - and they are not being replaced at the same rate unfortunately. I wasn't aware of Farrelly's car accident - maybe I just wasn't checking the right news sources but I don't think this was very well publicized or explained by the Breakers last season. I had no idea she suffered such a traumatic thing. Anyway, best wishes and I hope she can fully recover a normal functional life without the pressure of soccer fitness weighing on her.

On the topic of Reeves (mentioned above), NWSL badly needs a strategic plan to help non-WNT players in their mid and upper 20s stay in the league. Some kind of office to work with players and connect them with employers for off-season jobs in their metro markets, etc. Otherwise NWSL will turn into 25 well-paid players ranging from 23-35 years old, and the rest will be young 20-somethings fresh out of college playing for scraps. That isn't a good breakdown, you need young, medium, and older seasoned pros to make up a good professional roster.

I am happy the league is on sustainable financial footing, not undervaluing that at all (having witnessed the WUSA/WPS collapses). But having experienced, mature players stick around for more than a few seasons is important. And if Ellis is serious about blowing open the WNT player pool, letting more league players compete for spots, it is in the NT's interest for these players to stick around too!

15. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #90 MiLLeNNiuM, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    You mean you weren't reading the BigSoccer forums?
    Actually, I'm surprised no one posted it before on this board (at least I missed it too).
    That kind of information usually only comes out via some obscure tweet.

16. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we need to give it a few more years. I believe the NWSL is headed in the right direction, but during its growth, will end up letting a few really good players slip by, it's inevitable.

I really think that the NWSL will become sustainable in another 5-10 years with the proper support. Tying the NWSL clubs to MLS clubs, IMO, will be the key to building a proper foundation, but, again, will take time.

17. LucyFearsTheMorningStar

Sep 27, 2015
    Club:
    Atlanta Beat
    I think the original news might have been dropped by thrace in a tweet and them got reaffirmed when she was put on a 45 day IR. No actual information beyond car accident has ever been released for what the actual injury was.

18. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I was told very early last year that Farrelly would not play the whole season, but Boston never really disclosed the extent of the damage and I could not therefore acknowledge it publicly.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In one of those "never announced as a retirement, but just never comes back" moves, Rachel Quon describes herself as "a former professional soccer player."

http://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/2016/12/08/news-earthquakes-introduce-innovation-advisory-board

Rachel Quon

Rachel Quon is currently a Marketing Associate at Costanoa Ventures. She is a former professional soccer player for the Chicago Red Stars of the National Women’s Soccer League from 2013-16 after a standout collegiate career at Stanford University, where she led the Cardinal to their first-ever NCAA National Title in 2011. Rachel also represented the Canada National Team from 2013-16.

RockyTopFan and CoachJon repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    That's the 2nd big retirement loss for Seattle this offseason. Fletcher had a fairly long professional career, though. So she bucks that trend, at least.

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Also fits well with Seattle drafting Bauer

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Players who've had long careers *are* the trend at this point. I mean, look at the list of players we've mentioned in this thread since August of last year (i.e. ignoring the slew of early retirements during yr2/yr3 of NWSL; two non-NWSL players had previously been mentioned for comparison):

Fletcher started her post-collegiate career in 2006 with the NJ Wildcats of the W-League (and was Pali Blues' first ever player in 2008), started pro in 2009 with the LA Sol
    Quon - three years with the Red Stars (started 2013)
    Farrelly started in 2011 with the Philly Independence
    Silva - three years with FCKC (started 2013)
    Melis started playing for Malmo in 2007
    Goodson was semipro with the San Diego SeaLions in 2010, then played for Twente (falling victim to WPS folding, as she had been drafted by Philly in 2012) before joining NWSL in 2013
    Gordon started with the Breakers in 2013
    Williamson
    was semipro with the Ottawa Fury in 2012 before joining NWSL in 2013
    Edwards
    was part of the 2006 NJ Wildcats team and even played for the Freedom Reserves before joining FCGP in 2010
    Winters started with the Breakers in 2011
    Kessler
    bounced between the first and second Bundesligas with her first club but joined Turbine Potsdam in 2009
    Necib started with Montpellier in 2006
    Hemmings and Angeli both started with the Boston Breakers in 2010
    Pathman was very recent, starting with Boston in just 2014

Of all those 15 players, just 5 players had 4 or fewer years as pros (or otherwise top-flight), with everyone else having 6 or more years. And none of the retirees had 2 or fewer years.

cpthomas, CoachJon and BostonRed repped this.
  25. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    And yet none of the people you mentioned retired over the age of 30, except Fletcher. A couple did retire at 30, but most most were under 30. I guess the term "long career" is subjective. But, IMHO, retiring before 30 is not a long career, it's a decent career, sure, but not long.

blissett and Calci0 repped this.