NWSL is in big trouble

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by WWC_Movement, Oct 10, 2017.

1. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Just got a text from someone who is connected to someone very important. With USA eliminated from the 2018 World Cup, this could ultimately mean decreased investment toward NWSL.

The women could be the ones to suffer the most from the failure of the men's team.

2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should result in increased support for the US NT that actually wins these things :devilish:

Alas, revenues are a function of the bigger dog's waggings.

MNT could arrange an NTIT (Invitational Tourney) with Chile, Netherlands, and whomever Iceland just knocked out :ROFLMAO: :oops:

3. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    #3 WWC_Movement, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Totally agree. But the USWNT getting knocked out in the Olympic Quarterfinal, and finishing in last place at their own SheBelieves Cup did not help matters at all. Both teams look like they are regressing over the past 12-18 months, and USSF is going to take a hard look at everything in the budget in addition to the decisions of personnel changes.

It also doesn't help that the rest of CONCACAF appears to be benefiting from MLS almost more so than the US is.

The USWNT better finish #1 in CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying, which is virtually a year from now. If Canada or Mexico beats them, that is a major strike against them, even if the USWNT still go on to qualify as the 2nd or 3rd team from CONCACAF, or a backdoor 4th place team to the World Cup.

They are no longer competing to just make the World Cup from CONCACAF. They need to sustain in showing their CONCACAF dominance, and the hiccup in late 2010 against Mexico is not going to be as tolerated this time around.

4. Kicking It Sports

Kicking It Sports New Member

Univerisity of Louisiana at Monroe Women's Soccer
    United States
    Sep 28, 2017
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NWSL will be fine. The WNT will be more than fine. We were in the same situation in 1998. The USMNT was in last place in the World Cup and the sky was falling.

The women gave us sunshine in 1999.

This collapse by the MNT will have us circling the wagons. Question about "pay for play" is now out in the open. We won't see the progress next year but the nationalistic pride of OUR beautiful game will rise.

As for teams moving, NWSL is a young league. We can admit it's successful enough that teams can move instead of just collapsing. I expect a great season next year.

5. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    I wasn't talking about the league folding.
    I'm talking about US Soccer's commitment and efforts into the league.
    Some, most, or all of that could disappear.

6. Kicking It Sports

Kicking It Sports New Member

Univerisity of Louisiana at Monroe Women's Soccer
    United States
    Sep 28, 2017
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the opposite will happen. People are looking at the success of the WNT and the failures of the MNT. US Soccer fans see these teams as equals, unlike other countries, and they won't stand by and let the WNT and NWSL lose funds. Some even respect the WNT more than the MNT for their heart and will to win games. I know Hope Solo and Abby Wambach would have something if their team played like the MNT played.