News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    It doesn’t say she got fired. It says she got relieved of her duties, a prospect i hoped for my whole working career - to no avail.
    :)

Sawedoff, CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  2. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's wonderful news. I'm so happy for the Sky Blue players.

McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured out the team records starting with the first game the USWNT players were gone for the WC and ending Thurs 6-27(before last weekend games).
    I was going to wait until the USWNT players were back, but it was clear from last weekend that having the other national team players back made a significant impact.

TeamWinLossDrawPoints
    WAS40315
    RFC30312
    UT32211
    POR31211
    HOU2139
    NC1236
    CHI2406
    ORL1414
    SB0011

MiLLeNNiuM, McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  4. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speculation regarding the return dates for USWNT players to their clubs:

blissett repped this.
  6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If the rumors of an August 3rd friendly at the Rose Bowl are true, the first NWSL home game for the Courage with the four USWNT players will be August 24th.

August 24th.

sitruc repped this.
  8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    kolabear, Sawedoff, McSkillz and 4 others repped this.
  9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Props to Jon Tannenwald in Philly for another massive and substantial NWSL piece in the Inquirer today!
    https://www.inquirer.com/soccer/bud...ns-womens-soccer-20190723.html?outputType=amp
    Talks about everything from sponsorships to expansion to salaries and more, and almost every topic included some details that I haven't heard before!
    -the Budweiser deal was done pro bono by SUM
    -the Thorns, Royals, and Courage have entertained three prospective ownership groups recently, including a USL side
    -NWSL will be forcing a Sky Blue move at the end of this year, and the chance of NWSL getting out from under USSF seems higher than before
    -the idea of adding DP and HGP rules in NWSL has been gaining traction

sitruc, CoachJon, kolabear and 1 other person repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry, can I ask you to you spell out for me what the acronyms stand for?

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I believe it said that Sky Blue will be forced to move out of their current stadium at Rutgers not move out of NY/NJ area.

sitruc and blissett repped this.
  13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rules are from MLS. DP is a designated player. The designated player rule in MLS (sometimes called the Beckham rule) allows a team to sign a specific number of players at a salary or transfer fee that would otherwise be outside of the salary cap (essentially to get big name players).

HGP is a home-grown player, and the rule in MLS allows a team to sign a player from their own academy directly to the first team roster without going through the draft. In MLS, homegrown players also don't count against the budget until they're playing on the senior roster.

sitruc, blissett and kolabear repped this.
  14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    DP - Designated Player.

Effectively, Federation Players (USA/Canada, formerly Mexico) are "DP"s in NWSL in that their full salaries don't count against the team's Salary Budget (MLS's limit on the first 18-20 players, less DP overages and TAM/GAM buy-downs) or Salary Cap.

In MLS, the DP mechanism is also known as the "David Beckham" rule in that it was formalized when Beckham joined the league. From 1996 there were always players that made more than the maximum salary, but in general those were case by case and "for the good of the league". When LA signed Beckham, the mechanism was standardized.

HGP - Home Grown Player.

Like most American sports, amateur player acquisition in the NWSL (and early in MLS history) was via various Draft or Lottery mechanisms.

Given the historically terrible player identification/development system in the U.S. in soccer, MLS wanted to incentivize MLS teams to identify and develop their own players. In exchange for developing a youth player (free of charge to the player, not pay to play), MLS teams are granted "dibs" on those players signing an MLS contract. To avoid NCAA complications, those players are free to go play elsewhere in the world, or even in the USL without any MLS claim, but if the player wants to play in MLS, then the team that invested in their development is allowed to place a claim. Furthermore those players generally don't count against the MLS Salary Budget until they've either hit a specific age (24?) or played a significant amount of games.

sitruc, blissett and kolabear repped this.
  15. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In women's soccer, will the DP rule become known as the Cristiane Endler Rule? The Ada Hegerberg Rule? Sam Kerr Rule? Or...?
    :)

Reign Man and blissett repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't the WPS have an off-budget salary rule for players like Marta? I read she was making $500k back in 2010.

blissett repped this.
  17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I know! My bad for not being more specific in my post

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I would suggest the Alex Morgan rule.

I don't think we'll see an exodus of USWNT players this off-season with the Olympics next summer, but after the Olympics, the siren call of $250k/year and more will definitely lead to a fair number of players heading overseas - regardless of whether or not NWSL clubs are willing and able to match.

We just have to be ready for that. Established USWNT players won't have the incentive to stay in NWSL in 2021 and 2022. Being available for endless friendlies is nice, but cashing big paychecks and being international stars in soccer crazed cultures has an appeal for some.

The real question will be the 2023 season.

But once the NWSL/USSF deal ends and USWNT players will have to sign NWSL contracts, the pressure will be on the NWSL to establish mechanisms to be able to offer competitive wages to the USWNT players that are open to staying in the NWSL instead of going overseas for the money/experience.

Sure. And when David Beckham joined MLS, there were already five players making more than the "maximum" - Landon Donovan, Carlos Ruiz, Freddy Adu, Josh Wolff, and Eddie Johnson. From the beginning certain marquee players - Jorge Campos, Carlos Valderrama, Roberto Donadoni and so on - were paid more than the "maximum". But they were case by case.

In Marta's case in the WPS, the overage was phrased as not being over-max, but that she was getting some financial consideration from Nike(?) or another sponsor. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

sitruc and kolabear repped this.
  19. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex Morgan Rule - maybe/maybe not. I missed a very interesting Grant Wahl article a couple weeks ago. When it comes to Baby Horse, she likely makes more than Olympique Lyonnais' highest-paid player, Ada Hegerberg, despite the salary limitations, because of endorsements.
    I haven't heard about the NWSL/USSF deal ending on player salaries. I heard about USSF ending its management deal - aren't they separate issues or are they inextricably entwined?
    Grant Wahl's article touches on that. He quotes one agent who insists Marta's deal (the current one with NWSL; not talking about the earlier one with WPS) is within the salary cap guidelines, but others say she's paid through sponsors

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but I'm talking about the WPS days. And articles from back then reference the money being a burden on the club itself.

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2010/12/06/wps-salary

If you think Brazil superstar Marta's $500,000 salary was not a huge burden on the now defunct FC Gold Pride, think again. That figure is clearly an outlier -- WPS' version of a designated player -- but team owners will be looking to get everything they can out of free agent signings, especially in a World Cup year where top internationals will miss significant time for international duty.

So I would call it "the Marta Rule."

holden and kolabear repped this.
  21. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Best of luck to Mana Shim.

Reign Man, McSkillz and kolabear repped this.
  22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I remember Mana Shim's first couple of years with Portland, she was awesome!

CoachJon and Reign Man repped this.
  23. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    I know attendance numbers are impressive, what do the ESPN numbers look like? Those might be more important than actual butts in seats.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ellis is stepping down as USWNT coach. Anyone think that USSF poaches an NWSL coach? Harvey, Riley, Vlatko?

25. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Going that route would be smart, rather then going outside the country, especially with the Olympics right around the corner. Besides they would have more familiarity with the players and the inner workings of the WNT.