News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could be right. But, as I read the rule, I think lawyers wrote it, which is what I would expect. If they did, they wouldn't go with "I just didn't think it was necessary." That's not the way lawyers write rules.:eek::)

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    blissett repped this.
  3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    League rules should require each team has at least one US Fed player. The purpose of allocation is to help the teams meet financial limits not to give Ellis another knife to twist.

4. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Uh... they effectively used to, and everyone hated that.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I missed this yesterday, but the Washington Spirit have finally announced - after being the lone NWSL holdout for years - that they're having a Pride Night this year.

6. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Teams have had US Fed players and traded them. Others acquired players who have become US Fed players. It's on the teams if they don't have allocated players.

CoachJon repped this.
  7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Does anyone know when the teams gave to go down to 25 players? is it by tomorrow, Monday?

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Does anyone know if there will be any kind of live feed of the Thorns Spring Invitational?

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Apparently NCC decimated a full-strength Pride lineup in a preseason match today, 4-0. Both teams picking up exactly where they left off, it looks like.

blissett repped this.
  10. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess no feed.

It was great weather, 3,420 fans in attendance (basically a sell-out for Merlo Field). Thorns scored one early and one late, Red Stars scored one in the middle. Final Thorns 2, Red Stars 1.

The Red Stars goal came on a header by Kayla Sharples off a corner kick. A pretty goal, but someone on the Thorns missed her mark as Sharples was wide open.

Both teams had rough spots and good spots. If I were a Red Stars fan, I'd be a little concerned about my back line, they seemed vulnerable to opposing players getting behind them on through passes.

I thought Ertz had a good game. Also rookie Maria Sanchez, who should be a good one if she can play consistently close to her highest level. Short also had a pretty good game, but her shots are woeful. Kerr played only the first half, and she got enough attention from the Thorns that she couldn't do much.

Here's the Thorns' post game report, with the lineups and subs.

11. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Thanks for the review of the game. I'm glad to see that Maria Sanchez did well. She's my favorite underdog draftee -- the daughter of workers at a potato-processing factory in a small town in Idaho.

I was also pleased to see that Zoey Goralski got a look-see. I was surprised she wasn't drafted.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  12. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Who's going to be playing right back for Houston? That's Ari Romero's position --- but Huerta wants to play there. It looks like in their preseason game they each played a half.

Maybe Huerta gets some time at right back and also some time as attacking midfielder? Or traded?

13. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Comeau was supposed to start but got injured in warmups. Romero played there first half, Murray second half. Huerta played attacking mid. Never has played outside back for the Dash, very likely never will.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks for posting. Wish I was there. I am happy the Red Stars and Portland organization have a good relationship that Chicago gets invited to this tournament every year.

I am also pulling for Maria Sanchez. She has a wicked cross from her left foot that has a mean curl to it.

Let us know how the other games are that you watch at this tournament, please.

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will do. From what I've heard, all of the internationals will be gone for the Wednesday and Saturday games. That being the case, the iternationals got a good deal of time in yesterday's game.

I'll be interested to see the non-internationals play.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks for the info on international players. I was wonder when they will leave for camp.

17. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preseason Potpourri

a. My D3 Woso antennae chirped when I saw this on Reign FC twitter about the Reign-Thorns game:

At draft time, I look for players who have entered the draft from Non-D1 schools. In January I noted this:

NAIA
    Bethany Balcer, 5’9”, Forward-Midfield, Spring Arbor University
    From Hudsonville, MI
    3x NAIA National Player of the Year
    Career: 98 games, 129 G – 45 A, 1.3 goals per game

I wonder how she got on Vlatko’s radar?​

b. Have you seen Abby Erceg’s workout videos on her Instagram? Defender of the Year is jacked! https://www.instagram.com/abbyerceg/

c. My impression is that Skinner is being well received at Orlando, as is Clarkson at Houston. The Sky Blue environment has improved, but I don’t know if Reddy is pushing the soccer up a level or two that it needs. I haven’t seen much out of Washington, so I have no reaction to what Richie Burke is doing.

MRAD12, lil_one and Gilmoy repped this.
  18. Myrtle

Myrtle Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    A. Vlatko keeps in close contact with KC area coaches and lives in KC...at least part time. Spring Arbor University played Benedictine College in the NAIA play-offs and i'm sure her name was passed on to Vlatko from the coach of Benedictine College (school is near KC and gets a lot of KC talent). Coach Roblee has been a huge fixture for many years in KC area soccer both club/college. Since Balcer took 13 shots and scored 2 goals in that game, i'd imagine she turned some heads.

BUSA Bulldog and CoachJon repped this.
  19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I as well love seeing stories of kids from lower division schools making it.

CoachJon repped this.
  20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    CoachJon and cpthomas repped this.
  21. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, great letter.

Sounds like he feels secure about the future of the NWSL and of the Red Stars. And, that he's determined to have a successful big market NWSL franchise, whatever it takes.

And, sounds like the Breakers will be back.

22. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I had read that line more like confident optimism rather than something that's definitely in the works, but I certainly would enjoy their return.

23. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .....real quick: Bethany Balcer played for the Seatle Sounders WPSL team this year (May-July) and they won the WPSL championship.

Now back to Mr. Whisler!

Myrtle repped this.
  24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The only team I can't find a Final Roster news is the Orlando Pride.
    Does anyone have that information?

25. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City