News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #951 MiLLeNNiuM, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Actually, I was not aware that Verizon now owns Yahoo.
    Have Go90 and Yahoo Sports merged their media platforms?
    As a larger media platform, my hope was that Yahoo Sports would makes matches more readily available for fans who cannot attend the games.
    Also, now that you mention it, I would think that the NWSL would tweak the old Verizon Go90 contract to better benefit the league, if they're going back to Verizon via Yahoo Sports.

2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Not really. What's happened so far is that the NFL games that were shown on Go90 have moved to the Yahoo Sports app (which isn't just a video streaming app like the WatchESPN app, it's more like a competitor to the "ESPN: Live Sports & Scores" app). But there's lots of other sports content that was on Go90 that is not on the Yahoo Sports app. So NWSL games will be the 2nd league to be streamed on that platform (even though the app currently doesn't even mention the NWSL...)

I'm not sure it's a larger media platform. Like sure Yahoo has a better brand recognition than Go90 did, but it's not exactly where most people go for watching media. For example, how many people even realize that the former free Hulu service is now Yahoo View? I think Yahoo Sports is still going to have the same issue as Go90, in that it will be a destination for fans looking specifically for NWSL games. People aren't going to be like, "Hmm... I feel like watching some sports, let's see what's streaming on Yahoo Sports" and just stumble upon a NWSL game.

Well they signed a "multiyear" contract in 2017. I couldn't find any mention of exactly how long that contract was for, but my guess is it is still in place for 2019. Now maybe Verizon could be held accountable for a breech in the contract or something for shutting down the service midseason without providing an alternate destination which the league could use to try to get some money as a concession (I'm not a lawyer, though, so I don't know), but it doesn't seem like the NWSL had any plans on terminating that contract...

3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Their contract w/ A&E Networks was a three-year deal, so yeah it's in place for 2019 but up for reneg after that.

4. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well they are two separate contracts, so they could have different lengths. But it would make sense to make them the same length.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Shades of 2011 coming through with a lawsuit threatening WoSo:
    The MLB Royals have sued the NWSL Royals for trademark infringement.
    The suit
    The response
    Perspective:

blissett repped this.
  6. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC

sitruc and blissett repped this.
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    wait wait DCU has expressed interest??

If feeling slighted is what gets them to buy into the Spirit, I guess that's steps forward! At the very least, I'm glad they apparently feel some responsibility to protect the Spirit from a questionable owner.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Whatever happens, it's certainly already shaping up to be quite the NWSL offseason. Lingering questions over Sky Blue, a lawsuit against Utah, and now a majority (though not full) sale of the Spirit (potentially to DCU)...
    *grabs popcorn*

blissett and lil_one repped this.
  9. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well, how much interest they have expressed isn't certain... might've just been a cursory inquisition to see what it would cost to get another tenant for their stadium. It does, however, seem the league would prefer DCU to Baldwin. This is pure speculation, but another angle might be that Lynch "leaked" this story as a way to try to push DCU into buying the team. So it'll be very interesting to see how it plays out.

[​IMG]

Airox, blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  10. Airox

Airox Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might as well grab some popcorn too!

I hope we're not watching a tragedy :whistling:

11. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Murphy kicked in the wallet by his soccer team, tax records show

https://www.nj.com/politics/index.s...eam_and_will_be_hit_b.html#incart_river_index

Gov. Phil Murphy took a a half-a-million dollar financial hit last year on the professional women's soccer team he owns, tax records his office revealed Thursday show.

The Democratic governor's 2017 taxes showed the governor reported about $500,000 in losses from Sky Blue. The governor is a majority owner in the team, which is based in Tinton Falls and plays home games at Yurcak Field at Rutgers University in Piscataway.

The financial hit from the team carried over from previous years exceeded $6 million, according to the tax documents.

12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That man has big pockets if he has already put $ 6.5M of his own money into the team. Then you have to ask what is the overall budget if Sky Blue makes a 500k loss and how much revenue they bring in.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The draft will be upon us in less than two months. Has Washington and/or Houston hired a new Coach yet? What's the situation in New Jersey?

16. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Washington seems to be held up by potential ownership changes. Houston held up by Canetti departure, but indicated they were interviewing a candidate last week.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  17. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    [​IMG]
    (as per http://nwsl.us/2zvnYvH )

The world cup "break" isn't much of a break. It's basically just one weekend off, as it's from Monday June 3rd to Thursday June 14th, so the only weekend days off are June 8th-9th.

blissett and lil_one repped this.
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ...yeah, it's not even the entire group stage, which is kinda insane. The group stage, which IIRC was entirely avoided last time (and is usually what MLS does for the MWC), doesn't end until the 20th...

I guess someone(s) voiced displeasure at last year's March 23rd opening? But at the same time, the season looks like it'll go a month later than last year did... I guess if they're planning on 9 teams again, they might be spacing things out to avoid as many midweek games. Aside from the WWC "break", I notice no mention whatsoever of avoiding FIFA windows this year, which was definitely mentioned the past two years in a row.

holden and blissett repped this.
  19. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  20. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    toad455, holden, blissett and 1 other person repped this.
  21. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Just give the team to the Red Bulls for $1 already.

orange crusader repped this.
  22. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Looking back at the 2013 NWSL draft class to see how they are doing, I can only identify 9 of 32 draftees who played in the NWSL in 2018. All of the draftees are now 27 or 28 years old, and most of them are already on the downside of their careers.

Following is a list of the 2013 draftees who played in 2018 and the total minutes they have played in regular season matches of the NWSL The draftees are listed by their draft order.

2. McCarty 4,124 .
    3. K. Mewis 8,225
    5. Short 4,349
    6. Franch 5,938
    7. Nairn 9,844
    11. Tymrak 6,579
    24. A. Brooks 7,423
    26. Hoy 4,460
    31. Kopmeyer 4,454

It looks to me like Nairn was the prize of the draft (up until now).. She is first in the NWSL in games played (128 out of 134 possible games) and 6th in total minutes played out of all NWSL players. Hoy and Kopmeyer were bargain-basement draftees who exceeded expectations.

To those who find this a trivial exercise, well, I have to do something during the off season.

CoachJon, holden, socalsoccer23 and 2 others repped this.
  23. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    It is interesting to look back at that. I wonder how much of that is due to the smaller salaries and uncertainty of the league's survival at the start and if the numbers will rise as later draft classes hit their 5 year anniversary. Of the 9, only 3 of them have had no interest from the NT at all.

24. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I see that Jess Fishlock is now royalty, awarded a Member of the Order of the British Empire. (MBE)

Well, deserved, Jess, uh, excuse me Dame Jess. Ma'am? Your Highness? Help! What's the protocol here?

SiberianThunderT, McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

...or they are looking to use an otherwise empty new stadium as a revenue source.