News: NWSL general news and info

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Sep 14, 2016.

1. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Governor Murphy, the majority owner, is getting bad press in NJ from this:

Life on N.J. pro soccer club owned by Gov. Murphy is sad and bleak, players allege

Hey, Gov. Murphy: Fix your sweatshop of a women's soccer team | Politi

https://www.nj.com/politics/index.s...v_murphy_is_sad_and_bleak_players_allege.html

https://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/07/hey_gov_murphy_fix_your_disgraceful_sweatshop_of_a.html

blissett repped this.
  2. orange crusader

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    blissett repped this.
  3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  4. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    blissett repped this.
  6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bummer also for players called into replace players on international duty as well as all the players who probably would have got a couple of days off this week if not for this scheduled game.

blissett repped this.
  7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Chile. This is a match that falls in a FIFA window, unlike the Tournament of Nations.

9. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #834 CoachJon, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, NWSL doesn't have its own "Cup" competition, so I guess they're in the clear there. X-D

blissett and CoachJon repped this.
  11. luka74

luka74 Member

Melbourne CIty, St Pauli, VFL Wolfsburg Frauen, Chelsea WSL
    Australia
    Nov 13, 2017
    Melbourne
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Disappointed to read all this stuff re player welfare and the terrible conditions. I began following Sky Blue only this current season as my favourite player from down under Rebekah Stott got traded there from Seattle. The club Stotty plays for here in Australia is Melbourne City which is a CFG club, same as NYCFC. They have done huge things for women’s soccer in Australia and have made the rest of the clubs upgrade their facilities and spending on the women’s game, which has improved the league greatly. It would be cool if maybe they took over at Sky Blue because I know they don’t have an NWSL team currently and it sounds like new owners are required. They already have right colours and image to be part of city group and the fans would get to keep their club. It would be a shame to see them have to move as other teams have, and seems to be quite common in US sports.. it not something that is common here in Australia.

CoachJon repped this.
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Sky Blue had, quite a while ago, been in talk with both NYRB and NYCFC about partnerships/buyouts, but the Sky Blue owners at the time din't feel it was a good deal. I'm kinda hoping all this negative publicity forces their hand, though, as I too would like to see one of the NY MLS teams buy Sky Blue, and (as you say) NYCFC could very conceivably keep the "Sky Blue FC" name, crest, and colors while still being entirely inside of CFG's larger branding.

luka74 and CoachJon repped this.
  13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  14. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :ROFLMAO:This is too good to post just in the Seattle subforum:

holden and blissett repped this.
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The Wall Street Journal decided to do a piece on NWSL, and I think it's the first piece I've seen from a major news source that does a good job of pointing out the good and the bad fairly:
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/womens-soccers-new-play-massages-and-a-1-million-locker-room-1533482881

I almost got excited when I saw, near the end of the article, DLH and "expansion fees" mentioned in the same sentence, since I don't think we've ever seen an NWSL expansion fee made public yet - but he was just talking about how MLS expansion fees have grown from 2005 to now. Blargh.

blissett repped this.
  16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Can someone summarize the highlights (without quoting the entire article) for those of us outside the paywall?

17. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read it once, but now am outside the paywall as well. But from what I remember, not a lot of new info but a summary of the state of the league, mostly positive: the progress made by Utah and Portland while also mentioning low salaries and struggles by teams like SkyBlue. There was also mention of other positives like the high number of season ticket renewals by Courage fans (over 95%). There also were a couple of interesting quotes, one from Rapinoe in which she mentions a couple of teams that "have to get lopped off" as well as some needed expansion. Then there was a quote from Dell Loy Hansen about appreciating woso women not diving or rolling around after getting fouled. That's all I can remember.

MiLLeNNiuM and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ah shit sorry! I always forget that I get access to things on campus that I (and most others) don't get normally. X-D
    But yeah, @lil_one summarized all the things I can remember at the moment, too.

19. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good thing they used to be teammates. Flash 2011; Thorns 2015
    Photos by Shane Lardinois
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heeligan2 and blissett repped this.
  20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And tell me, how is that not a foul? Note the shoulder firmly planted atop the head in the first frame.

21. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course it is a foul. I never intended to imply otherwise. I do not know when in the game it happened, so I don't know what the referee did.

blissett and cpthomas repped this.
  22. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I wasn't intending to suggest you were suggesting otherwise. (Double suggest?)

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    CoachJon repped this.
  24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, left arm isn't wrapped over the top, and the left shoulder is way too low. Ponytail hasn't begun snapping Sinc-ward, so this must be just before impact.

Sinclair's arms are different, and her spine was vertical, not leaning forward.

Also, the angle of the sun :)

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, there are Opta stats, including heat maps and shot maps and all kinds of other fun things, on the NWSL website now. I'm kind of ridiculously excited about this. :geek:

To get there, go to a match page and click on stats for that match: there are options for heat maps, shots, key passes, and much more.