NWSL General - Info / Comments / News

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by MRAD12, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000

spoken like true fans.

but there is no nwsl without the uswnt right now. maybe in the future - we can only hope. but weekly club woso has no support that can keep it afloat, while the wnt has very good fan underpinnings. i'd like some more support for the nwsl. but ussf and the women are right in putting the emphasis on the wnt and the wc.

2. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    There's a difference between putting an emphasis on the NT and pissing on the NWSL...

A little cross promotion for the NWSL would do far more to help the league (which in turn would help USSF) than it would hurt the NT/USSF... in fact I'd wager it wouldn't hurt the NT at all (I mean, is someone really gonna go, "Well I bought my NWSL tickets. Now I'm just gonna completely ignore the NT...").

SiberianThunderT and JanBalk repped this.
  3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    MRAD12 mentioned that there was a Red Stars booth at the friendly in St Louis but that they werent allowed to sell team merchandise. To me this is just another way the USSF treats their pet project as a red headed step child.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #3579 MRAD12, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    That was my understanding that they weren't allowed to sell merchandise just hand out flyers. I wonder how much is involved in getting approval to sell merchandise?
    But I am grateful as a CRS fan that they were allowed to have a presence inside the stadium to at least talk to people and make people aware of the Chicago Red Stars brand and the Red Stars staff did a GREAT job with the little they had to work with.

Can you imagine how much money the Red Stars could have made selling those beautiful kits with Press, Chalupny and Johnston or Boxx on the back. IMO, much better looking then the new USWNT kits, in my opinion.

holden repped this.
  5. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It just seems like a small way to help out the league. This is supposed to be a partnership but always comes off as big sister little sister. Why wouldnt it be a good thing for the NWSL to have a booth at every USSoccer match selling NWSL apparel and handing out info?

6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Can you confirm that USSF were the ones that prevented CRS from selling merc? For all we know it could be stadium policy. The same way stadiums usually have one company that is license concession provider, I'm sure there are similar agreements for merchandise.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #3582 MRAD12, Apr 6, 2015
    I don't know if it was a stadium policy or if it was something to do with USSF or with sponsors. Have no idea. Or maybe legal stuff. Maybe you have to get a license to sell there, or something?
    I wouldn't make a big deal of it. Who knows what kind of hurdles and permissions you have to go through to get a license to sell merchandise at a place like that.

I was glad the CRS were allowed to have a booth at the game, nevertheless. And I hope Sky Blue will be allowed to do the same at Red Bull arena.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do the National teams have the same Jersey makers as the NWSL?

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm guessing it's more a stadium policy thing... Probably some norm of the American sports landscape, honestly, with teams controlling what gets sold on their grounds, either directly or as a consequence of deals they have with their existing vendors. I don't ever remember going to a stadium/arena/whatever and seeing a team that wasn't the tenant selling stuff. Handouts, I've seen a lot of, though.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So folks, when do NWSL teams have to cut to their 20 players? It is 20, right? Is it today?

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Yup

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If that were the case then USSoccer wouldnt have been allowed to sell merchandise either which I doubt was the case. Now I can certainly see Busch not letting the Red Stars come in and sell things...that makes perfect sense. What I suggested was that wherever the USWNT plays in the US there also be an NWSL booth. That would be part of the same negotiation as getting the USSoccer booth with profits going into league coffers. And since Nike does both the NT and the league I dont think it's about them.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well I was just speaking generally, I'm not clued in to businessese and such. I guess I should have qualified my statement to "tenants or teams playing", since I know Busch has hosted some big friendlies recently and I'm sure they sold jerseys then (Chelsea, Man City, Argentina, heck even USWNT). Whatever's going on, it has to do with who's playing and what kind of deal they cut with the stadium owners and how that deal interacts with whatever existing vendor contracts are out there. You can't have random organizations suddenly show up and start selling stuff on your grounds, after all. But I agree, I think than USSF should make sure that any deals they cut concerning WNT events include an NWSL merch booth as part of the agreement.

kernel_thai repped this.
  14. WNYChelseaFan

WNYChelseaFan Member

Apr 5, 2014
    NY
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Here is just a random idea. The league should have a vendor of some sort that travels to different premier level youth tournaments (Usually 500+ teams) throughout the nation and market their product. There are many high level youth tournaments throughout the nation. Some of these tournaments are hosting some of the NWSL Academy teams playing in them as well. Just a thought.

15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Also saw this. Not sure if it's a positive or a negative for the league

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Team rosters are pouring in...

I wish someone will include all roster in one graphic per position.

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So final roster names are starting to roll in. Just waiting on Chicago and Portland now.

18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Here you go.

upload_2015-4-6_17-3-50.png

Gilmoy, kernel_thai, CoachJon and 2 others repped this.
  19. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Not really sure if this is the best place to put this, but now that Jamia Fields didn't make the Breakers roster, the Leroux trade breaks down to be for Kristie Mewis, Amy Barczuk, and half of Stephanie McCaffrey.

20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Which half of McCaffrey? Right leg, Left leg or head

21. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Whichever half equals Danielle Colaprico... :sick:

22. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    #3597 WWC_Movement, Apr 6, 2015
    Apparently they got her right half, according to her profile picture on the website.
    I guess one of the other teams has her left half.
    [​IMG]

DON'T CUT PEOPLE IN HALF, UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING !!!!!!

23. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    No, her other half was traded for the pick that would become Sofia Huerta. But that pick was not part of the Leroux trade.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im afraid that's neither leg.

25. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Interesting that after all the debate about whether Frisbee would play forward or defender at this level, WNY has her listed as a midfielder.