NWSL Franchise - Welcome to Utah

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SenordrummeR2, Nov 15, 2017.

1. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember a TV report that talked about how one of the USMNT members made money to continue to play soccer. This player would give soccer clinics in the summer and coach youth teams to make ends meet. I don't remember who it was but I think it was during the run up to the 1990 World Cup.

2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KMYU is owned by a group with other stations in the West. RSL has a deal with the whole group to televise RSL games. That's why I get to watch them in Las Vegas. I don't know if there would be interest in the NWSL that broadly. However, I guess a deal could be made with just KMYU.

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank you for posting - please feel free to post more. It's gonna be a long offseason here and we need new info.

rslfanboy, BlueCrimson, Ismitje and 3 others repped this.
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, so if you have national team players you have that much more room on your budget? Are national team players required to be evenly dispersed then?

5. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are cap adjustments, but I don't know the mechanisms.

6. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it would be a long offseason also but with the NWSL franchise news, it seems that it will be kind of short. At least until they announce the name of the new franchise and we can all start bitchin' about it (again!).

The Franchise repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is the hesitation on announcing it? Now that the FC KC part of it has been resolved it seems there shouldn't be anything limiting our part. Though, based on the information out there, it sounds like you could measure how much RSL has been aware of this in hours.

Which reminds me - this is all you need for anyone who still thinks DLH isn't a committed owner. You can argue that he meddles too much, you can argue he has a bit of nepotism, you can even argue he isn't educated enough on the sport. But you simply can't argue that he's committed. The guy is the only reason we still have a club and he's not satisfied with just that. He's doing almost everything he can to grow the sport. With the nonsense in Columbus, the apathy in New England, the bullshit in cRapids land, etc. we should probably all take note of just how lucky we are.

TheBiff, Allez RSL, RSLer and 10 others repped this.
  8. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven’t read the roster rules in a while, but at one point the USWNT pool players were evenly distributed through the league with 2-3 players per team. Our current WNT players are Becky Sauerbraun, Sydney Leroux, and Amy Rodriguez.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing in here about how many federation players each team can have
    Federation
    A Federation is one of the following entities: the Mexican Football Federation, Canadian Soccer Association or United States Soccer Federation (together, the “Federations”).

Federation Player
    A Federation Player is a Player whose compensation is underwritten by a Federation.

Unattached Federation Individual
    An Unattached Federation Individual (UFI) is an Individual who a Federation has designated as a potential Federation Player, but whose rights are not yet controlled by a Team. Unattached Federation Individuals are designated as such by one of the following mechanisms:
    A) From time to time, a Federation may choose to designate certain Individuals as Unattached Federation Individuals.
    B) Teams may, as permitted by the NWSL, choose to relinquish their rights to a Federation Player. Any Federation Player whose rights have been relinquished by a Team will become an Unattached Federation Individual.

Player Distribution Process
    The intent of the Player Distribution Process is to provide an equitable mechanism for distributing the rights to certain Individuals to Teams in the NWSL.
    Types of Individuals Available for Distribution. The following types of Individuals will have their rights distributed to Teams via the Distribution Process.
    A) Unattached Federation Individuals
    Collectively, these types of Individuals will be referred to as Distribution-Eligible Individuals.

10. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, does that mean that any player who has a designation as Federation Player whether Unattached or Attached(?) is being paid by their respective federations? And why would a team want to designate one of their as Unattached?

If I'm missing the point on this, duh.

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @BlueCrimson please do feel free to contribute. We're kind of an all-in group with players and teams associated with the brand, and are collectively looking forward to NWSL being part of our portfolio. But we have a learning curve for sure.

TheBiff, RSLer, rslfanboy and 3 others repped this.
  13. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We all knew DLH had interest in NWSL, but to get to the announcement (reportedly) only 15 days after the franchise became available is astounding. I have some concerns about cannibalizing the soccer market, but I hope the brand's turn out to be complimentary products instead.

14. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that the brands will be complimentary and provide an example for younger girls soccer teams as something they can strive for if they so desire.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the price points actually make it so the brand can reach different demographics it previously wasn't. I know people who couldn't afford to take the family to RSL games so they simply didn't go at all. Now they can afford Monarch games. And, best part, they are interested in the first team.

I'm really hopeful the women's side is setup as advertised - just as much focus as the first team. There is an obvious an noticeable difference in how the Monarchs and RSL are promoted and handled. That's fine, it should be that way. However, the women's team cannot fall towards the Monarchs in that regard. It needs to be first team level

16. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    My guess is that they want to space out their big news conferences a little. You get more buzz over an extended time through the off season rather than machine gunning everything in a matter of a couple of weeks.

I am hopeful thought that they will have jersey's or shirts available for the new team before Christmas, as I would like to get one for my little daughter. My guess though is they wont have anything until early spring.

Allez RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed on the jersey front
    though, if they can't have the kits ready by then, at least have the ability to buy season tickets figured out by then. The kickback email from filling out that form on the site indicated we should be hearing in December from the club.

18. trackrunner

trackrunner Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't that long ago in MLS. I recall in Grant Wahl book "The Beckham Experement" he discuss players on the minimum working second jobs and leaving pro ranks for careers in their degree feild.

TheBiff and Ismitje repped this.
  19. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    If we're getting Laroux, can we get Dom to RSL? Y'all may hate him in KC but I'd want him for RSL if the deal could be made.

SenordrummeR2 and El-ahrairah repped this.
  20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the players do have ways to make money on the side, through coaching clinics or even second jobs. And because the NWSL season is so short, a number of them go on loan in the offseason. Australia is the most popular destination because the season down there fits nicely into the NWSL's offseason.

15 to 32 repped this.
  21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions y'all might have about the NWSL or about the current roster. And there are things that even those that have been following from Day 1 are still finding out about today, so don't feel bad if you're confused about certain rules.

15 to 32 repped this.
  22. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our second point striker.

23. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if they would do it, but it might even be cool to see a package season ticket deal, where you can get the women's team plus the Monarchs as a combined package at a discount vs buying both sets on their own. It seems good on paper for families that can't afford RSL, but they have daughters they'd take to the women's team, and boys to take to the Monarchs. Or just cool in general for someone that wants to watch both.

At the very least, it wouldn't surprise me to see some cross promotions here and there, whether it's with the Monarchs or RSL. Especially early on to get people to go check it out.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've already paid a couple payments on my season tickets. I'll gladly add another payment or two if I can have my same seat for the NWSL games.

25. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    He'd be better than Yura. Have MLS teams made spousal hires before?