Review: NT Ranking

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Pipiolo, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Which are the best NT's since WC14? I only watched the Germany vs Italy and France vs Portugal matches from the Euro, so can't really tell what is the true level of Portugal, Wales, Iceland, etc. I would rank the top ten something like this:

Germany
    Chile
    Argentina
    France
    Portugal
    Uruguay
    Algeria
    Colombia
    Italy
    Belgium

The last AFC, CA-C and Euro have shown the lions are not *quite* as painted. Likely it's going to be an era of great parity in the international game, in stark contrast to club football.

PS: Congrats to all Portuguese posters (@benficafan3 @artielange84 @---Z---). Greatness was thrust upon you and it was well taken.

carlito86 and artielange84 repped this.
  2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes, with the exception of Spain, Germany, France and England imho (and in case of the first two it has been like that for a while). Below those the differences are small or smaller. France does need a better coach and staff to be placed in that group; England is on their way.

[just my opinion but I think the various measurements back it up]

3. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England is not on their way. They've wasted over a decade on poor NT managers. Wasted their golden generation on Sven. Wasted a World Cup and a EURO on Roy Hodgeson who has never done anything at club level, and was exposed to be mediocre at best when he had any opportunity to manager a big club.

Belgium is actually quite similar to England. They've got the talent, but unless they find themself a better manager, they're not going anywhere.

4. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This England generation is a better and more modern generation than the so called Golden Generation. By and large players like Ali or Kane have better positional sense. Can press better, better movement and don't have the radius of an oil tanker (think of Steven Gerrard). Their defensive midfielders can actually play football. I sincerely believe it are more modern players and already good enough material to win something.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...laims-progress-10-times-better-Germany-s.html
    http://www.thefa.com/news/england/2014/aug/kompany-says-the-future-is-bright-for-england

England can hire the best people and create a Harvard like environment. At many places it has been remarked what Guardiola & his assistants added and enhanced in Germany (forces combined to lure him - if you need to see links let me know). Now he's in England. A time will come when managers will first go to England and then to other countries. Eventually they will get it right.

Belgium is too shallow in depth and at some key positions to be classed in the first group. Besides, their golden generation can be over sooner than they want. It is also not a sustainable model and following an FIFA decision concerning training compensation academies have already made budget cuts (not just my opinion but in the Netherlands board this was posted by member 'Blondo').

5. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It looks like big Sam may get the england job.. Andy Carroll will be pleased about that !

6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    OK, that can cost five years.

lanman and giles varley repped this.
  7. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    This is based purely on 2014-16

1. Germany
    2. Argentina
    3. Chile
    4. France
    5. Colombia
    6. Portugal
    7. Belgium
    8. Italy
    9. Spain
    10. Switzerland

Portugal is a very difficult team to rate because they play to the level of their opponent. If they are up against a strong team (Spain 2012, France 2016) they will raise their game and play well. When they are up against an average or underwhelming team (Hungary, Iceland, Austria) they will play poorly.

8. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    England has been on their way for the last 40 years