NSR: MLS 2010 Non-Sporting Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by kopiteinkc, Jan 12, 2010.

1. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I the only one who likes the idea of August - May?

Let's say they agreed to start doing it in 2013, I hate that we play through the heat of the summer.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they do it, no way it's by 2013, the stuff I've read with quotes from Garber makes it seem like they're just starting to actually talk about it.

"The heat of the summer" is overstated, especially with most games at night. The problem comes when they have to deal with TV schedules wanting the afternoon games.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of surprised that CO isn't using that last sub on Lopez with an eye towards PKs...

4. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trading games in June for games in February is just insane.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fantastic save by Pickens

6. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enough to win the MVP award?

For me, absolutely...

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's Casey Conor?

But that's a fair MVP, he worked his ass off all game.

8. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arrgh, the Colorado Douchebags won MLS Cup.

I feel a little happiness for the long-suffering Rapids fans, but I absolutely detest their team and the way they play. And Toledo, for letting them play like that.

9. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every level of American Soccer plays in either Fall or Spring- no one else plays in the summer.

There could be an argument made that playing when youth, high school, and college are playing causes conflicts for your fans but...... when do the kids in England play? Weekend Mornings?

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PDL is amateur, they play during the summer. There are tons of youth soccer tournaments during the summer including US Youth Soccer National Championships.

11. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I typed Leagues and somehow it didn't end up in my final draft-

PDL plays in the summer so that it can use those amateurs from college in their off season......I think it is a complex question for MLS to address the change and I also think it is risky to confront Gridiron and Basketball but I don't think it is crazy at all to imagine playing in those months or being a spectator in those months because of the weather.

12. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid decision.

Right now, we are only head-to-head with a lot of sports for a part of the season. During the summer, baseball and MLS are it. in the winter we have nfl, nba, nhl, college football, college basketball, wnba, and other sports. We would be competing with those leagues not only for fans but for media coverage which is already an issue. In addition, we would compete against international leagues more as well. ESPN and FOX already give them more attention anyway.

13. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://twitter.com/#!/GrantWahl/status/6541918238408704

Not sure whether Garber's statement has legs, so let's wait until January before jumping off the deep end..

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i didn't really have a preference going into the game as far as who i wanted to win, but now i'm really disappointed colorado won. biggest bunch of thugs, and then crybabies, this side of the mexican national team.

16. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I pretty much share in this.

Conor worked his nutz off, but I think he was probably the biggest thug out there. And I feel weird saying it, but I agree with Lalas - that was no PK.

Bad luck on the OG, but Pickens came up HUGE in the end.

17. Replicant

Replicant Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conor was a thug throughout. He played really, but he was nasty sometimes. Pushing and shoving and repeatedly going at the ref (and some other players) and getting in his face.

With all the tussles in this game, I was half expecting a fight.

18. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he ever not that thug? That's probably why he didn't do so well with the Nats: he wasn't the biggest guy out there anymore.

This was one of those games I didn't want to end. Partially it means the season is over but it was just an entertaining game. Did anyone notice the (lack of) fans at the game? Was it just the weather or was it the teams? I'm guessing both. Maybe it's just me but if we held the Cup in KC I would want to go no matter who the teams are. There would be a few exceptions possibly, but most likely I'd still go. I have no wonder how upset the MLS FO is about how this all unfolded.

So, does anyone remember that time when we expected Colorado to have the toughest remaining schedule and were counting on them to drop points so we could get into the playoffs at their expense? Yeah, good times. :cool:

On a side note, a friend in Seattle is bitching about how a 7th seeded team just won the cup with the easiest route while a higher seeded team had the toughest road. Welcome to MLS, my friend. It's even funnier because the other day he was saying he's happy the MLS season is over so he can stop watching that "shit" and get back to EUFA stuff. Bitter much? Yeah, I love seeing Seattle fail and their fans complain. It's like my happy place lately.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TFC season ticket holders were forced to purchase a ticket to this game with their season ticket package. A lot of them didn't show up out of spite.

20. jtreg

jtreg Member

Aug 16, 2010
    State of denial
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't know what bothers me more: seeing the empty seats, or hearing the "SOUNDERS!" last year.

21. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a lot of the ones that did show up, left early.

22. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I hate the fact that they are going to 10 teams in the playoffs. We finally get a season where we can have LESS than 50% of the league make it to the playoffs... and they change it so that more than 50% of the teams make it to the playoffs. That's so stupid.

Also, not a fan of August - May scheduling. I seriously doubt I would remain a season ticket holder if it meant that I had to show up to games in the middle of winter.

23. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That being said. I might be okay with a playoff play in game if it takes the play of the two leg quarterfinal match.

24. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    10 teams on in the playoffs is bullshit ...... I mean that just makes the playoffs a tool that eliminates the sub par teams rather than including only the above average. I was looking forward to the days where a team like the Wizards this year could not go on a late season run and pinch a spot in the post season by a point or goal difference .... this only encourages averageness.

8 teams just feels more prestigious.

25. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    has to be driven only by wanting more games/more tickets sold/more money