[NSR] ij vs. y

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by jott, Jul 27, 2006.

1. jott

jott Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've noticed a variation in the spelling of certain names (cruyff, kuyt, van nistelrooy) spelled with ij, usually in dutch publications. What is the reason for the difference and is there any special significance to it. Dank je wel.

2. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    Speaking from Canada--you just don't see ij in English--it is changed to y

We moved to Canada in 1952- I was 2 -and my dad changed our name to BRUYN from BRUIJN
    Today my Canadian passport has my Canadian spelling and my Dutch passport has my Dutch spelling--
    This may be considered subversive in the USA so when I travel there I use my Can.

3. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    It is indeed done because of spelling. Cruijff is Cruijff's real name, but for his international business he uses Cruyff. van Nistelrooy I believe actually changed his name to Van Nistelrooy and I think Kuijt is just Kuijt's real name.

4. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Jott, from what I've read and thru talking with my brother-in-law, the Dutch are just as confused as you and I are in this subject.

i, j, ij, and y have been used and interchanged throughout the years because of changes in Dutch spelling rules. ij has been or is the second to last letter in the Dutch alphabet depending on who and when you ask. You can see that ij is one letter when you see how the word "IJsselmeer" or the river "IJ" is capitalized.

You probably won't get a straight answer from anyone in this thread because it's confusing as hell.

5. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What I made out is that the old spelling was 'y', that's at least what all the buldings in Amsterdam are having. Most people type 'ij' nowadays, and that is what is used in the books I learn Dutch out of. For handwriting the Dutch people are used to write an 'ÿ' and still do that (even though it comes quite close to a 'ji')
    So, what I make out of this thread is that for internationalisation many people change back to 'y'.

6. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im too lazy to do it, but search these boards, there are a couple of threads on it (you may have to search a year or 2 back). they explain it very well.

7. TheWindmill

TheWindmill New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Groningen
    In Dutch grammar ij is very normal. In non-Dutch languages it's very strange. Not to confuse foreigners some dutch people change their names into someting with Y instead of IJ. Cruijff is the best example of it. Originaly it is spelled with the "IJFF". To make it easier for foreigners he changed the IJ for Y. Now it's Cruyff.
    So it's a Dutch service to foreigners. Nice people we are, aren't we!

(By the way, on Cruyff's website it is explained why he did the spell change. http://www.cruijff.com/hetfenomeen/cruijffanders/article3388881.ece
    It's a bit too long to translate, it's all dutch, but English typewriters didn't have the IJ on their Typewriter and to make it easier ffor them Johan came with the Y.
    Because off all these name changes also a lot of dutch people make a total mess of spelling his (and others) name (s) correctly!

8. Feijenoord changed the spelling some years ago into Feyenoord, because foreigners tried to pronounce it the way it is written, with some remarkable funny tongue injuries as a result.
    We have in the Dutch language what we call the iGrec = y, the ij and the ei, all pronounced in the same way. Why we have ij and ei I donot know.
    When you look in a Dutch dictionary you have to look in the i section for words spelled ij and in the e section for words spelled with ei.
    It gets funny when you add to that the different ways the ij and ei are pronounced in different parts of the countrie. We do that to confuse non Dutch:D

9. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Never mind the farmers, just listen to us from de Randstad.

10. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How things came about.
    In Middle Dutch (12th-15th centuries) the short and long varieties of vowels in closed syllables were rendered in writing by single and double symbols respectively. In accordance with this system, the short sound [ι], as in sit, was represented by the letter I, and the long sound [i:], as in see, by II. This representation was satisfactory until-during the 16th and 17th century - printers added two new symbols to the alphabet: J, formed by giving the Roman I a descender (or "tail"), and U, originally a graphic variant of the Roman V. As lower-case ii was easily confused with lower-case U, writers and printers took to dotting their Is and replacing the second one of a pair with a J. This resulted in IJ.

At the same time as this graphic innovation, a phonemic change took place. The sound [i:] went through a vowel shift, and gradually turned into the diphthong [εi] (close to English [ai], as in my). These simultaneous developments led to a chaotic situation, further aggravated by frequent confusion of IJ and Y. Absence of any ruling on the subject allowed authors and printers to go their own way until well into the 19th century. Stabilization was eventually achieved in the 1860s when the linguists De Vries and Te Winkel published a spelling system which appealed to the public at large, and was eventually laid down by law. Subsequent spelling reforms have left the notations for [εi] unchanged.

How things stand now.
    Modern Dutch has three graphic representations for the sound [εi]:

(1) IJ as in rijm 'rhyme', fijn 'fine', hij 'he', zij 'she', mij 'me'.

(2) EI as in trein 'train', meid 'maid', hei 'heather', zei 'said', mei 'May'.

(3) Y as in de onbekende y 'the unknown Y', y-as 'y-axis', Y-chromosoom, the chemical symbol Y for yttrium, etc.

This is not to say that IJ is consistently pronounced [εi]. The most frequent exception is the suffix -lijk, as in vriendelijk 'friendly', where the vowel is reduced to a schwa. (Several spelling reformers have suggested *vriendelik or *vriendeluk but have had no success.) Other examples are bijzonder 'special' and dikwijls 'often' where the IJ likewise appears in an unstressed syllable.

The digraph EI, whose historical background is altogether different, will not be dealt with here. Suffice it to say that, thanks to the existence of two notations for the sound [εi], Dutch learners have to find their way through a maze of homophones (compare the last three examples given at (1) and (2) above).

The Y is only pronounced [εi] in scientific expressions, as shown under (3), and when called by its name (for instance, by children reciting the alphabet). Apart from these instances, it only occurs in loan words and foreign words, and is pronounced accordingly. Examples: Y sounds as [j] in yoghurt, as [ι] in lynchen, 'to lynch', as [i:] in jury, as [ai] in byte.

Note: Afrikaans has opted for Y instead of IJ. As a result, Y appears here in Germanic words, whereas the average Dutch speaker intuitively regards this letter as an 'alien' element. (Similar feelings exist about C, Q and X.)

Everyday problems.
    Do the Dutch treat their IJ as two separate letters or rather as a composite symbol that somehow has no place in the alphabet? The question may seem academic, but becomes of practical relevance if you don't know whether IJ should occupy one or two squares in your Dutch crossword puzzle. (The answer is: one. Dutch Scrabble sets accordingly include a separate IJ tile.) Here are a few observations which suggest preference for one or the other view.

In favour of the separate-letters view
    (a) There is no IJ in the Dutch alphabet.
    (b) In Dutch dictionaries entries with initial IJ are listed as if the first letter were an I and the second a J. Thus you will find the entries ignoreren 'to ignore', ijdel 'vain', ijzer 'iron', ik 'I' in this order. Dutch atlases use the same system in their indexes. The convention also applies, of course, to non-initial IJs.

In favour of the composite-symbol view
    (c) In Dutch telephone directories, names with initial IJ and initial Y are merged, and listed between X and Z. In train timetables the list of place-names is arranged in the same way, but in other reference books the entries may appear in the order either X-IJ-Y-Z or X-Y-IJ-Z. Still other variants exist. One well-known encyclopaedia has tried out four different systems in four successive editions.

(d) The combination IJ has its own name. It is called ij '[εi]' or, more specifically, lange ij 'long [εi]', or maybe we should translate it as 'tall [εi]' since the name refers not to any phonetic quality but to the elongated shape of the symbol, which distinguishes it from EI (sometimes called korte ei 'short [εi]') and from Y. The latter is called Griekse y 'Greek [εi]' or i-grec or, by children, ij zonder puntjes 'dotless [εi]'.

(e) Finally, there are a number of spelling and printing conventions. First, ij is capitalized as IJ, not as Ij (although there is some vacillation in Flanders). Second, when a word is letterspaced, no blank is inserted between i and j. So stijl 'style' becomes s t ij l, whereas steil 'steep' becomes s t e i l. Third, in end-of-line divisions, IJ is always left intact. And fourth, in compound words where a final I is followed by an initial J, the two letters are separated by a hyphen to prevent misreading. (Compounds are normally written solid in Dutch.) Examples: mini-jurk 'minidress', gummi-jas 'rubber coat'.

Well then, are we dealing with a letter, a digraph, a ligature, or just a homeless symbol? We don't know. All attempts to free Dutch IJ from its orthographic limbo have failed so far.

11. jott

jott Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that answers my question. Thanks.

12. TheWindmill

TheWindmill New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Groningen
    And offcourse the people from the Randstad area are as arrogant as usual!
    Losers........:eek: :D

13. I'm not arrogant. Don't mix me up with the like of Bertje etc.:) As a matter of fact I like the Twenthe and Drenthe accent a lot. Come to think about it the Limburg and Brabant and Groningen too

14. TheWindmill

TheWindmill New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Groningen
    Sorry man, i didn't want to insult you, i just wanted to piss of Bertje. Apologizes........;) :eek:

15. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    :D

I like a Brabant accent on a girl a lot, though.

16. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Okay, so what does the Dutch Alphabet look like? How many letters/caracters?

Wait, in essence is is the same except for IJ? so are there 27 letters?

17. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z. That makes 26 letters. Both IJ and EI are made of two letters.

18. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It should be the same as the English one, the IJ is not included. That makes it 26 letters as in the English and German alphabets. As the Germans, the Dutch use basically the English alphabet but use some other letters, which are not officialy included into the alphabet (German Ä,Ö,Ü,ß) plus some combinations of letters making differnt sounds (German: SCH, ACH, ICH, ST, SP; Dutch: CH). The IJ is somehow between that.
    The Spanish for example at the other hand have included combination of other sounds in their alphabet (Ñ for example, but from what I learned in school also CH, LL and RR, even though Wikipedia says they are not included).

19. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    Than why do you capitalize two letters at the start of IJsselmeer?

see, this shit is confusing. ;)

20. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    Who the hell ever needs to write ijsselmeer anyways?

21. Forza AZ

Forza AZ New Member

Jun 26, 2003
    Alkmaar
    IJ is one letter. But we still have 26 letters in the alphabet. Y and IJ are at the same place.

It indeed is confusing, because some dictionaries have the IJ under the I and others have it under the Y/IJ (like it should be in my opinion).

22. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    map makers.

23. Because Ijsselmeer doesnot look as good as IJsselmeer:D

24. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    They should find another hobby

25. CoAdriaanse

CoAdriaanse New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    On A Moving Platform
    the more posts i read the more confusing it gets....did one of you mention that the ij is somtimes said as a short "u" for example: Lelijk (ugly) - (Pronounced- lay'luck)...