NSR -- Holland at the World Baseball Classic

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by zxzm, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Vandervaart

Vandervaart Member

May 21, 2003
    London
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How good is the Dutch team really? I mean they beat the DR twice, I'm pretty sure the DR players didn't underestimate the Dutch the second game no?

2. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Overall the DR team is prolly better, you cant judge by just 2 games.

But we're moving on, and they are not :D

3. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The word "honkball" just sounds funny to us.

4. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    What a great story. I wish I could have seen their second game against the DR but unfortunately it wasnt on cable (dont think anyone with half a brain would have thought Holland would have been a tv draw:D). Heres hoping theyll be joining the US from pool 2 for a trip to the final round in LA. Two things are going to make this a big time event for Americans: The US team taking this seriously (check) and seeing a cinderella run (looks like we have that right now).

5. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Johan, how many actually live in Holland and speak Dutch??

6. Vandervaart

Vandervaart Member

May 21, 2003
    London
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hey! They speak dutch in the Antilles!! Sort of.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well Dutch is the offical language in the Dutch Antilles along with Papiamentu. They will all have been taught in Dutch at primary school at least but I went to university with a couple of people from the Dutch antilles and they all struggle with the Dutch language in my experience. Half the squad isn't actually from the Dutch Antilles though, I just researched it. The majority play in the Dutch league, the Dutch baseball league teams Kinheim and Neptunus have supplied the most players. The full squad with their club and number of international games prior to the Classic between brackets:

Pitchers (13): David Bergman (Corendon Kinheim, 30 interlands), Leon Boyd (DOOR Neptunus, 18), Rob Cordemans (Sparta/Feyenoord, 68) Berry van Driel (DOOR Neptunus, 6), Rick van den Hurk (Florida Marlins, 0), Michiel van Kampen (Corendon Kinheim, 60), Diegomar Markwell (DOOR Neptunus, 35), Dennis Neuman (Boston Red Sox, 0), Sidney Ponson (no club, 0), Alexander Smit (Cincinnati Reds, 19), Tom Stuifbergen (Minnesota Twins, 6), Juan Carlos Sulbaran (Cincinnati Reds, 3), Pim Walsma (L&D Amsterdam, 7)
    Catchers (2): Kenley Jansen (Los Angeles Dodgers, 0), Sidney de Jong (L&D Amsterdam, 126)
    Infielders (8): Sharnol Adriana (Rojos del Aguila de Veracruz, Mexico, 121), Yurendell de Caster (Detroit Tigers, 43), Michael Duursma (Konica Minolta Pioniers, 87), Sharlon Schoop (San Francisco Giants, 0), Randall Simon (Newark Bears, 3), Curt Smith (St. Louis Cardinals, 0), Hainley Statia (Los Angeles Angels, 26), Vince Rooi (L&D Amsterdam, 51)
    Outfielders (5): Bryan Engelhardt (Corendon Kinheim, 86), Gregory Halman (Seattle Mariners, 19), Eugène Kingsale (DOOR Neptunus, 64), Dirk van 't Klooster (Corendon Kinheim, 207), Danny Rombley (Corendon Kinheim, 93)

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Dutch fans you can follow the game v Puerto Rico live online on the www.nos.nl site.

9. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I put this together yesterday on the baseball sub-forum.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17167273&postcount=235

10. FCGrunn

FCGrunn Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Groningen
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  11. psv88

psv88 New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  13. psv88

psv88 New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    AHHHHHHHHHHHH....great game pitched by Ponson and Cordemans...then this guy Neuman comes in and sucks it up....damn it....god im so pissed.

14. Vandervaart

Vandervaart Member

May 21, 2003
    London
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Do they have to play twice against Venezuela and the US as well in this round?? Why is that?

15. psv88

psv88 New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No...they play the US next...since the US got rocked by Puerto Rico...if the dutch win, they US is out, and vis versa...if the Dutch win, then they play the loser of puerto rico and venezuela, and if they win that game, they move on to the semi-finals...

16. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Game is today, I cant wait :cool:

17. psv88

psv88 New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This sucks big time...i dont know who to route for...one of my teams is eliminated no matter what, and then one has to face either Venezuela or PR...whatever.

U--S--A.

18. psv88

psv88 New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    New York
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well thats it...kudos to the Dutch team...other than tonight, played well...Hup Holland Hup