[NSR] Guatemala at the XXX Summer Olympic Games, London 2012 - the quest for the first ever medal

Discussion in 'Guatemala' started by ChaChaFut, Apr 18, 2012.

1. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  2. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    Dang, two of these chicks could get it for a lifetime. I'll let you guys guess which ones.

3. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Ana Sofía Gómez starts off well at the qualification, totaling 56.132 from 14.533 (vault), 13.266 (bars), 14.333 (beam), 14.000 (floor). She ranks second overall in all-around individual after 2 of 5 subdivisions have completed participation.
    [​IMG]
    Photo gallery: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150958789826976.412110.262409496975&type=3&l=50832051d5

The best 24 individual gymnasts (maximum 2 from each country) go through to the Individual All-Around final, where gymnasts compete on all apparatus. The best 8 gymnasts on each apparatus (maximum 2 from each country) go through to the individual apparatus finals.

4. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Update: Ana Sofía has qualified in 16th place to the indiv. all-around final on Thu. Aug. 2.

5. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Juan Ignacio Maegli in second place after two rounds. He won the first regata, and ended up 10th in the second one, so he currently has 11 points. The leader, the Australian Tom Slingsby has 3 points.

First place gets 1 point, second place 2 points, etc. The participant with the least points wins.

ChaChaFut repped this.
  6. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Kevin Cordón (ranked #38 in the world) vs. Rajiv Ouseph (#25) scheduled tomorrow morning at 08:40 EDT. Winner to face Sho Sasaki (#7) in 1/8 finals. Too bad I'll be at work, it will surely be a hell of a match.

7. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Maegli

[​IMG]

jfcule repped this.
  8. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    edcalvi repped this.
  9. aramada

aramada Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Washington DC
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Kevin Cordon ended up defeating Rajiv Ouseph in the round of 16 in a match that went the full 3 games. After losing the first game, Cordon ended up winning the next two for a spot in the Quarterfinals. If he can win one more match he will be in the medals round.

10. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    He beat Ouseph in the group stage to get into 1/8 finals actually.

Video interview: http://www.prensalibre.com/tododeportes/td_media/#239011

11. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    So two more wins and he medals for sure. Wow. Beating a Great Britan competitor at home is HUGE. His confidence has to be out of this world right now. Can we be looking at Guate's first ever medal? I gotta find a way to watch his upcoming match, you guys think there'll be a streaming?

jfcule repped this.
  12. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Omg que dios te oiga!

jfcule repped this.
  13. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    No se dió, pero de cualquier forma bastante buena la actuación de Kevin, cada vez mejorando y llegando mas lejos.

Ana Sofía just went on the beam. I figured an image is worth a thousand words:

[​IMG]

14. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    She's in 13th out of 20. And she still has 3 more elements.

15. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Gómez has concluded her participation in London with a total of 54.899 in the all-around final (beam 13.133, floor 13.400, vault 14.633, bars 13.733), ranking 22nd overall as of this post, with the vault being her best ranked apparatus (15th). I'm sure she's learned a ton this summer, and hopefully she will continue to improve so she can make it to Rio in 4 years at 20 years old.

Gabby Douglas (USA) won the event with an absolutely magnificent performance.

16. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Juani Maegli 5th overall after 6 races, not too shabby!

17. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Maegli still 5th after 8 races, being the top ranked competitor from the Western Hemisphere. Looks like he's a lock for the medal race (top 10) , where if he combines a good place finish with some luck, there could be a possibility of bronze for him. Regardless, he is making history with this performance.

Tomorrow the event everyone is waiting for, Erick Bernabé Barrondo taking on the 20km walk at 12:00 EDT. Him and Jean Pierre Brol , who competes on Sunday morning, are IMO the two biggest medal chances for Guate.

18. Itzallboutgtown

Mar 27, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Barreondo en 4to ... prefiero ver a mi nacional que al futbol , vamos Barreondo!!

BallinBear and ChaChaFut repped this.
  19. kman1456

kman1456 Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erick Barrondo finishes 2nd, congratulations.

edcalvi, BallinBear and ChaChaFut repped this.
  20. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Oficial: Guatemala medalla de plata en marcha 20km Londres 2012 lo mas grande que hemos logrado. Gracias Erick Barrondo, es ud. ahora el mas grande

slaminsams and BallinBear repped this.
  21. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
  22. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Y en sus alas levante hasta el cielo! Guatemala tu nombre inmortal! Grande Barrondo!

23. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Omg I'm so happy.I was driving and my brother called me and told me "Guatemala gano medalla de plata en la caminata marika" LMAO

jfcule repped this.
  24. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    Lol, could be caminata marika but Barrondo just won himself Q500,000 ($63,803) and a place in the history of the country.

[​IMG]Following
    Ricardo Arjona @Ricardo_Arjona
    Erick Barrondo. Que Dios te bendiga. Mas orgulloso que nunca. Nuestra primer medalla gracias a vos. Que viva Guate.

https://twitter.com/Ricardo_Arjona/status/231809851871854592

edcalvi repped this.
  25. aramada

aramada Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Washington DC
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Could not be happier for him and for our beautiful country, all the way from Argentina. Thank you, Erick Barrondo