NSR-Getting to know each other

Discussion in 'Paris Saint Germain' started by Catfish, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know some of you think the idea of this thread is sad, but I like knowing whom I am posting with.

So please tell us about yourself and how you became interested in PSG.

Mods,
    Please sticky this thread.
    Thanks.

2. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Answers : Paris European Odissey when I was a teenager, Bernard Lama, George Weah and other great players, drama, being in the minority, spending one year in Paris thus witnessing PSG play at PdP.

I'm not anti-OM at all though.

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Great to have you on this forum, Nanbawan. Post often.

4. Marsiglia29

Marsiglia29 New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Breizh,Celtic,Brest
    Grace à Paul Le Guen et David Ginola

My Idol Bernard Lama et Paul Le Guen

5. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Thanks a lot. But I'll try to put more quality and less quantity because I think I'm spending too much time on BS. :eek:

Or, I break my leg and stay here the whole day ;)

6. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Lama and Papin...The non connaisseurs in the world missed some kind of players, didn't they ?

If only we had been in USA 94 :(

7. Papa Bouba Diop

Papa Bouba Diop New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    ^So many regrets, living in Canada, the family and I we're planning on driving down south for some France games. Merci Ginola.

8. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    The way I came to support PSG, is as about as painful and disturbing as the performances that PSG come up with.

I come from the North-East of England (Middlesbrough to be exact.)

When I was in Secondary School (High-school) my French teacher was a massive PSG fan, he used always tell me about the team and I get really interested in the club. Now you've got to remember, these were in my pre-Internet days, so I hardly knew alot about the team other than the stuff he used to tell me and the programmes and magazines we would use in class.

Then there was the World Cup, so as a consequence I got to go to France and watch football, albeit, International football. So it was in 1998/99, that I first came to watch PSG - mainly on the satetlite channels. Then at the end of May, I got hooked into the world-wide web and then I started to browse stuff like crazy on French football and PSG.

I sat my exams, and then failed some more. Thought fvcki it, its not working - I'm depressed bored, lonely - Can't stand it here. So went I appllied for some volunteer work, helping kids with social/mental problems etc (which I had alot of - so I know best)

By a bizarre twist of fate, I got a placement working and studying in Paris for a local college in the North. I choose PSG, and now by the cosmic gates of energy and fate - it was choosing me.

I went to my first game in 2001 - *I think - might have been 2002, can't remember.....*

I was hooked ever since, and have even been to follow them away from home. Thanks to the internet, European TV any where in the world you can see Ligue 1 - I became a fan.

I still work the occasional job in Paris (If I can get a good contract), and would like to work somewhere abroad in Russia or the far-east (Mainly because I want to see Loko play :))

Now, I'm just bobbing along the bread-line trying to earn a crust (not that I harbour dreams of being a millionaire playboy) Kinda still work on an ad-hoc basis doing mainly charity / volunteer stuff.

I'm now mulling over a career change and I'm stumped because I don't know what I want to do. Might take a computer course in graphical design, to see whats its like (after all I need a steady paid job :rolleyes: )

My favourite all-time PSG player = Rai was amazing, loved him.

Best match ever seen at the PdP = Last years win at home to Marseille. It was the most beautiful springs day. We beat them 2-1 and when we walked out the stadium, it was late-afternoon, early evening - it was just a truly beautiful day.

High as a PSG fan = Going to a cup-final in 2004, and seeing them lift silverware for the first time.

Low as a PSG fan = Ugh, about every-single away game this year. Chelsea was just sickening as was Lens when we went 2-0 to go to 2-2 in the last 5 minutes.

Right thats my life as a PSG fan........

Oh yeah, I like pretty all-types of music, films and food. I'm easy to please. I'll listen/watch/eat anything. But I guess given my avatar, you can take a stab at what film takes my fancy this week. :rolleyes:

9. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hello Donnie...

BTW, Why Lokomotiv ? :confused:

10. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    lol. That's even more puzzling....

Well it all kicked with a match I watched on some god for saken newtwork whilst flicking around on my satelite dish. It ws Loko playing Rotor Volgograd (?) It was a crappy ground, cold and very dull and not very entertaining - but somehow I liked it and started to follow them. Even more so when I read their story.

It was a few years later that they reached the semi finals of the Cup Winners Cup and played Lazio at the Luzhniki. So as a result they got exposure here the west, and I began an armachair fan.

Then, I think it was a year later, Loko played Leeds in our old crappy Cherikovzo ground. So, my I went as an away fan to that game (but secretly followed Loko instead) They got turned over by the famous O'Leary side at the time and they went on to play Galatasaray in the semis.

It was then that they bulldozed the ground, moved to Ramonskoye (about 60km outside of Moscow) and above all win their first ever title. Prior to Semin who took over in 1986 - we had won jack s***t, and strolled about in the second division as the poorer cousins of the other big Moscow teams. This was also a main reason for me following them (as I felt sorry for them.)

I've followed them ever since, but due to their location and the travel costs - I've seen them play live about 3 times in as many years. :(

Many people though condemn me as a glory hunter - yet they had hardly nothing at all when I first saw them play - and played in a crappy s***t-hole of a stadium. Even now, our fan base is still poor. Though the amount of young student types like myself are taking a keen interest.

11. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was involved in RCA's minorities in engineering program, and they gave away Commodore products as part of the participation at the time when Commodore sponsored PSG; thus, Weah and Co. were on everything we saw/were given, and, being an African-American who was always interested in football, the idea of Liberia (and the freed slaves who left America to return to Africa via Liberia), and skillz, I became a George Weah fan, and, thus, a PSG fan.

I hated engineering, but continued to try to follow PSG.

I consumed all I could on the club, and actually found places to see their CL run, and those goals by Weah against Bayern in the knockout phases...

When he left, I stayed. The rest is history, although until very recently it's been difficult to be an informed PSG fan in the States; the advent of the 'Net and sat TV changed that. Even the abdication of a robust English option on www.PSG.fr forces me to work on my french, mais j'ai besoin de practiquer. My wife, who lived there for a time, is much better.

I live in the UK now, and get over to see PSG every chance I get, which isn't often.

I also support D.C. United, as MLS is my national league, and, well, you gotta support somebody. But PSG is first and foremost.

I doesn't hurt that Paris is my favorite city.

12. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Mel,

Channel 4 has a Ligue 1 highlights show and late-night replay of a featured match. Can't remember the time.

Eurosport channel 410 on Sky Digital - eurogoals, every monday and tuesday replayed often.

TV5 channel 825 on Sky Digital - 8pm Sunday - France foot.

You could also plump for the hefty illegal linkup option....

13. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    Started following PSG last April, when they started putting heavy pressure on Lyon towards the end of the season. My fiancée lived in Paris for 6 months. I was in Paris for a week visiting her and met two of my fiancée's friends that were Arsenal fans. They convinced me to support PSG. Although this season has been horrible. I like Ljuboja, Armand, Rothen, Cana, Mendy and Pauleta.

14. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YEah I should be able to catch the C4 option, butI live on-campus, so the sat stuff is not possible...yet. Soon, hopefully.

15. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    You must have a crap uni then. :rolleyes:

At Leeds and Teeside uni we have a satelite resource centre where you can tape channels from all around the world, including those in the UK.

I once asked someone to record Loko v Shinnik on RTR - last season's title match, no one battered an eye lid.

Not sure that Canal+ will be so easy to come by though. :D

Surely you could ask a mate to tape it for you. Sky Digital's pretty wide-spread.

16. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, it's a little harsh towards Ginola ; he made his error next to the Bulgarian goal line, the French had all the time and space to stop the counter attack. I might say even by committing a cynical foul on the ball bearer (or anywhere if fact), when a WC qualification is at stake, you gotta do what you gotta do... :eek:

17. Papa Bouba Diop

Papa Bouba Diop New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    ^ Yes I know, but it's so much easier to blame Ginola. Same for Cantona.

18. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes: Well, I didn't come here for the sat channels; I came b/c when I worked for CONCACAF and FIFA I found this is to be the most accomplished department of academics devoted to the study of sport on earth, and, thus, the best place to pursue my PhD.

That being said, my "hopefully soon" referred NOT to the uni sat capabilities, whch are in fact substantive, but exclusive; rather, I referred to ebay UK...where I've purchased a dish and digibox to place outside the back door of my flat.

Soon, life will be all good. :cool:

19. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mel Brennan,

I really enjoyed your story. Glad to have you here.

20. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm Nick. I live in Columbus, Ohio. I'm 16 years old and a sophomore in high school. I was given the opportunity to go to Europe a few years back as a student ambassador. I fell in love with Paris when I visited. My only problem is that I'm learning Spanish and German...not French to go along with my passion for France. I usually put my support behind clubs from cities that I like. Paris is such a beautiful city and so I have to support the captial club. It's wierd here in the states, but in my car I have a PSG pennant hanging up.
    I help run a supporters club for the Columbus Crew here in the states. We're called Legion 04. I also stand with Sam's Army for the US national team behind the goal. I drummed at the last game in Columbus. Other teams that I support. The three HUGE ones for me are Columbus, PSG, and Arsenal...(The first team named is the one I support most, the others are some that I like)

United States: Columbus Crew
    United Kingdom: Arsenal/Liverpool
    France: Paris Saint-Germain
    Germany: Hertha Berlin
    Spain: Real Madrid/Barcelona

I'm happy to meet all of you!

Allez Paris!!!

21. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia

I like Hertha too. Lived there when I was kid. Great place. Love to go there for the WC.

22. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    You lived pretty much anywhere in continental Europe it seems...Are you managing a hidden sleeping Al Qaeda franchised terror cell ? :D

23. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Middlesbrough (all me life)
    Berlin (3 months)
    Paris (3 years - I think :rolleyes: )
    Moscow (three times - for about a week at most)

Other than that. Pretty dull.

Oh yes, and i'm going to Lisbon and Miami next week................. :rolleyes:

:D

24. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I actually forgot my teaching stint in Osijek in 2003 for 4 months.

:eek:

Oh and my campaign to rid North Korea of WMD's :rolleyes:

25. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We really should sticky this thread.

Mods, a little help, please.

Thanks.