(NQR) The USMNT Thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by proud smurf, Feb 7, 2007.

1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have, and I still believe that despite published reports and endless innuendo, Landon Donovan will find a way to play in both the CONCACAF Gold Cup and the Copa America.

That's based on a hunch, but also recall what I said about him making himself available to the USMNT at every avenue. That's got to count for something, too.

2. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and I've always considered myself lucky to see him play with the 'Quakes. All along I knew at some point he'd move on, I'd just hoped it would have been the next level in Europe.

I've always been more disappointed in him because of his failure in Europe rather than his coming back to play in L.A. He may not have what it takes, character wise, to be a 90min field general, the way Reyna was in '02, but he's not stupid either. Why come back to a dysfunctional organization, (which is what San Jose was in 2005) no matter who you blame, he's still smart not to have come back to San Jose.

So his real forte is as a withdrawn forward, with people around him that either know that if they touch it off to him, 9 times out of 10 it's coming back to them it the best spot possible and if they have the ball and there is a hint of space (al la Ching/Donavan for goal #2 against Ecuador) they just pop it down there and he'll be the first one to it.

It's too bad he couldn't have been the guy to go back and tear a new one on those two right side defenders against Guatemala who kept taking the midfield out of the game by dumping long balls over the top of Feilhaber and Bradley. HE had the arm band on but you can tell your not going to get that from Landon because he can only talk about being a leader he can't go out and "Just do it". If he could others would be saying "he's a leader" and he wouldn't have to say a thing.

I think the biggest problem is that there is no one around him now who is a proven leader that he can learn from. He'd probably still be in Germany if someone there decided to to for him what Etcheverry did for Ben Olson. Maybe Beckham could do it for him...

Ramble over

3. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Cakes" is much the preferred appelation.

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I disagree. "Why come back to a 'dysfunctional organization'"? First of all, there was nothing dysfunctional about the soccer side of things in San Jose, and Dom and the team proved that in no uncertain terms (Supporter's Shield, MLS record for least losses, first undefeated home season, etc.). So how about the opportunity to play on a very good team with a very good coach? Despite the championships, the Gals were the dysfunctional team in 2005, not the Quakes, and I think even Gal fans would agree (and blame it on the coach). Heck even Donovan said something to that effect during the season. He was clearly not happy with the soccer side of things in MLS in 2005 despite the happy ending. And then 2006 was even much worse for most of the season.

Second, does loyalty to an organization or a fan base mean nothing at all? I don't think there's anything "smart" about turning your back on your team and the fan base that's supported you for the first 4 years of your career. It's a welcome invitation to bad karma.

Third, I'm not sure that I'd call Quakes '05 a "dysfunctional organization" in the first place. I think the front office was fine. Even Alexi deserves credit for helping make the deals to rebuild a large part of the team. The only "dysfunction" was AEG's threats to move the team. So what's the worst thing that can happen to a player if the team moves? You move geographically but from the soccer side, you're playing with the same very good team under the same very good coach.

So really the only way you can rationalize the Gal defection as "smart" is purely from a personal geographical convenience perspective - going back home to be with g-friend, mom, and sister, etc. But other aspects have not been so positive - playing for most of two years on a dysfunctional team, making enemies out of friends in San Jose and inviting bad karma due to the defection, and, who knows how it will work out, possibly even getting squeezed out of LA by Becks due to the DP rule.

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the one hand, yes, he's made himself available for the Nats. On the other hand, he doesn't always bring his "A game," or even a "C game." He really sucked in WC '06. Bruce should have sent Nacissus's ass home on the first jet after that miserable, cowardly performance against the Czechs. I am completely serious about this. That would have shown all of the team that you need to play hard when wearing the National Team jersey.

Would you rather I called him EvilTraitorousF#$%! 'Cuz that's your other choice. He's a self-centered, whining, spoiled, self-absorbed twit. He's got a ton of talent, but no spine to go with it. Remember that this turd expected San Jose fans to be happy for him that he got to live and play in evil, water-stealing SmogAngesleaze. The boy is without loyalty to anyone other than himself and his maybe his family.

You're assuming that Narcissus has what it takes to lead the national team. I don't think he does. He excelled when he had real leaders on the pitch: Agoos, Stewart, Reyna, JOB and so on. But when Narcissus has to be TheMan, it's a more iffy proposition. Sometimes he's up to the challenge, but often he is not. I would give that mantle to a lesser talented, but more stable, more determined player.

I think that we need to find that player still. I think that Bradley can find that player, and it might turn out to be Michael Bradley, Feilhaber, Beckerman, or someone else. We need an attacking midfielder who plays like DeRo, or even Dario Brose. (Just had to.) ;) We need someone who leads by example and makes the other guys around him work together. Narcissus doesn't do that.

Because he has no spine. He is not a leader of men. Because when the money is on the line for the Nats, his record is that he is not reliable.

This is not to say that I don't want him on the team. I think he could be a great forward or right side middie. But I want him playing second fiddle to someone else. Someone with balls.

QUAKES FOREVER!!
    GO USA!!!
    fuaeg!
    fumls!

- Mark

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent post!

Couple that with his stupid, whining comments about how he didn't understand why the San Jose fans hated him shows that he is so self-centered he doesn't understand team loyalty or fan passion. What a wanker!!

Are you really more narcissistic than that BT? I mean, I hear that you dyed your hair blond and that you call yourself "the most dashing bartender in the Telestra Dome," (which you no doubt are), but surely you have some loyalty to team, town, friends and co-workers yes?

QUAKES FOREVER!!
    GO USA!!!!
    GO WOLFF!!
    GO SSV!!!
    GO SJSU!!!!!
    fuaeg!
    fumls!
    fuaeg!
    fuaeg!

- Mark

7. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the best post I have read since I have been here (which hasn't been very long by the way:D ) I could not agree more time after time after time on the biggest international stages Donavon lays egg after egg. He is definitely not a leader and will only excel as a striker who plays off of a mid with the leadership skills to handle the teams emotions. He doesn't have the juice to run ship.

8. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is secondary. A good thing to have, but we don't know how much he knew about what AEG's intentions for San Jose were, but compared to what they were/are for LA there is no other word, to describe how AEG was dealing with San Jose, unemotionally, than dysfunctional.

You got what I was referring to here:

I agree with all of this...

My point was on what was available to him at the time he was coming back.

This is all hindsight proving that even though things looked better in LA (his agent and AEG and maybe even MLS people telling him this is the way to go) it really didn't help him improve, soccer wise.

9. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which post?

We're all so damn good at this you could be referring to any one of dozens of masterpieces. ;)

10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He meant MINE of course! :D

QUAKES FOREVER!!
    GO WOLFF!!
    GO SSV!!
    fuaeg!

- Mark

11. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think he knows BabyTiger that well? :p

12. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry I should have been more clear but yes I did mean yours:p

13. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't be narcissistic.

14. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to coach Bob Bradley.

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About time Sunil got off his duff!

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His who? :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that good, G. It's an old term for "his ass." :)

19. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody going to the US/ Sweden game @ HDC this Jan19 ?