NQR: SuperLiga Match at Buck Shaw, 7/19

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by ThreeApples, Jun 5, 2008.

1. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    My guess is that it won't be. It'd be a bad move by the FO because 1) the game would sell out w/o Quakes STH in a heartbeat and 2) interest level in Mexican futbol is not that high among Quakes fans - in general, though I know there are many exceptions.

3. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No, please no. I'd rather they say I can use my bonus game ticket to a Ringling Bros show. At least that's something I personally enjoy. I don't care about a game played by 2 teams I don't care. To me it is the same as LA playing LA reserve. Who cares?

4. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I'm not even gonna be here, so whateva.

5. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Muy Cerca

Muy Cerca Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Downtown San Jose,CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Thats a representative sample size. Lets close the books and say there is no interest in Mexican soccer in the South Bay.

7. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When we've had mexican games in Spartan (either sponsored by the Quakes or not) that have mattered (as this one will) they've been terribly entertaining matches. It's only when teams come up here for "Barnstorming" type games and they play their second/third tier players that it's boring. I'm all for having SuperLiga, Pre-Libertadores, and other meaningful competitions here. It brings a different brand of soccer and is a lot of fun.

8. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds Mui Bueno to me.
    Quakes play at TFC at noon on 7/19. Nice full day of soccer. :D

9. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They're bringing the real Chivas in a semi-meaningful to a stadium that can't maximize the dollars? What is this, a respectable tournament?

10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Zzzzzzzz.....

11. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN
    can you please make that a SUPER SIZE DOUBLE ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :D

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This SuperLiga is IMHO a less than meaningful tournament. It is basically a ploy by Don Garber to fill up stadiums with Mexican fans who root against the home team giving the home club no home field advantage. The grand prize is only $1 million to be divided among the winning club (big deal :rolleyes:) It has no meaning to most MLS fans and its not really worth anything! What exactly do the winners get? Do they get to play in the Copa Libertadores or even the World Club Cup? I'm almost sure most Mexican fans don't come to root on the MLS clubs therefore, what is the real point of playing these games in the middle of the season? What a joke! I hope the league does away with this Cup soon!

13. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN
    I would rather see them create some kind of a tournament cup built with European & South american teams but I know that's never going to be possible :(

14. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If that was entirely the case, it wouldn't be two Mexican teams playing at a 10K seat stadium. It's why I'm questioning the decision.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I seriously doubt very many SJ MLS fans will go watch and cheer on Chivas USA. I suppose if someone is really a fan of the game and wants to watch a good match, I can understand. Either way, I'm sure Chivas USA will not bring in local the fans...they did in their first year of 2005 but many of those fans have somehow forgotten about Chivas USA...

16. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Borrriiinnnggg!

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It is said that this Superliga is modeled after the UEFA or Champions League but if this is the case, what do the clubs receive for qualifying? Most teams in Europe anyway, receive millions upon millions of dollars in television money just for qualifying for the tournaments and all the victor of these games get is $1 million????? Is it really worth it to the clubs and the league to play this?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_North_American_SuperLiga

18. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You misread. This is the real Chivas de Guadalajara. They drew 20,000 to Spartan against a Korean team. Now they're playing a more competitive game against a Mexican opponent, but only to 10,000 people.

19. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    The $1 million grand prize is okay for Mexican teams, even though it's not really much money compared to their entire budget, it's still an okay prize, but let's say an American team wins it??? $1 million???? What is that good for in this league of parity? Nothing! Lew Wolff is rich as fuk! He's just not able to spend his money because of a stupid salary cap and roster restrictions and yadayada.

20. RD84

RD84 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Tacoma
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's a lot of stupidity in this thread. $1 million is a LOT to MLS teams/players as well. The only people in MLS who would probably scoff at their share of the million dollars are Beckham and Donovan. $1 million could help a stadium fund. $1 million could ease the pain of acquiring a designated player.

What do the lower-paid MLS players get per year? Reserves? Last year's superliga was VERY exciting, and the Galaxy-Pachuca final was RIDICULOUSLY entertaining. The superliga isn't solely about making money. Its about MLS making a statement.

Its about saying "******** you, FMF (Federacion Mexicana de Futbol), you're not better than us now"

Its about proving to the ignorant Mexican League fans here (i can pretty much guarantee that a game between Tecos and Cruz Azul on Azteca America would out-rate ANY MLS matchup on Telefutura) that our MLS teams are REALLY with the Mexican teams. The first excuse the Mexican fan comes up with for say, Houston beating Pachuca or Monterrey is "oh Pachuca/Monterrey didn't bring their A squad". THATS why there's a million dollar prize. Pachuca or Atlante or Chivas de Guadalajara would love to have another 10 million Pesos to spend, so they bring their A team.

Funny how Quakes fans can get snobby so quickly about Mexican teams after having their own team taken away and barely replaced. Nobody cares about Mexican League teams? Explain to me how Mexican League games on tv out-rate and friendlies between mexican teams outdraw MLS regular season and playoff games.

If you don't want to go to the game, then sell your ticket to fans that do. Believe me, you won't have trouble finding people that want to see Chivas de Guadalajara. Good luck selling that end-of-the-year ticket for the long-time rivalry between Toronto and San Jose for anything close to face value.

21. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The million dollar prize merely a starting prize. As the tournament reaches longetvity it will become popular and the prize will grow. The only thing about this tournament I don't like is that the tournament is held in the US and MLS teams really can't test themselves by playing away from home.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully this isn't part of our ticket package. I paid season ticket money to see the Quakes, not Chivas even if it's the real Chivas.

23. Since1974

Since1974 New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Downtown San Jose
    This game is NOT one of the mystery games for season ticket holders. This game is pretty inexpensive as I just bought great seats in Sect C for $40 each. I like the SuperLiga though I don't think it will succeed. I went to games last year and there wasn't much of a crowd, just for the finals at HDC.

24. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's the first year what do you expect?

25. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I think all people were concerned about was whether or not this was the Buck Shaw "bonus game." We love our Quakes and most of us would be really happy with an international friendly at Oakland and a friendly between the Quakes and and a foreign team for our two bonus games. Very few of us want to see two Mexican League teams play each other. Even if we did, it would have been a poor decision by the team as they could have easily sold out that match without the season ticket holders.

Now personally, I think Superliga is stupid because they just reformatted the CONCACAF Champions' League and that should be the real test of the best clubs in CONCACAF. The Superliga seems pointless, unless it was a sort of preseason tournament that was acknowledged to mean very little, like the "Peace Cup" or the "Emirates Cup". But this wouldn't work because our seasons are different.