{NQR}--Have you seen Frank Yallop as a player?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by nivla, Jan 28, 2008.

1. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Last Sat afternoon I was channel surfing and FSC was showing an archived game from 1995 between Man U and Ipswich Town. It was the 9-0 game which Andy Cole scored 5. Yallop was number 19 playing right back. It was rather horrible to watch our Frank got involved in most of the goals. The young Ryan Giggs burned down his side and Andy Cole got away every time. Frank just had a bad day. He did have very good long throw to launch the ball into the box.

I have never seen Frank as a player except that 20 min highlights so I can't really tell how he was.

This is the link to a video clip of that game I found online.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x46ktz_manchester-utd-90-ipswich-town_sport

2. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ugh...

[vomit]

3. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that game also and noticed Yallop playing. Man U really spanked the Tractor Boys on that day.

4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    That was the first and only footage I've seen of Frank as well, and Giggs definately made him look bad...

...nice that he's played at that level though and I have to believe he was a better defender than he looked that day...we are talking Manchester United afterall :D

5. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
  6. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Doesn't anyone remember him from MLS? He played for Tampa...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Yallop

I remember him vaguely as the type of fullback I wish I was-strong in the tackle, clever with the ball, good marker.

7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I agree with your assessment above, except for the part about being clever on the ball. Of course, you compared him to some of the "US talent" in the league at the time and maybe he was clever on the ball...

Since they didn't televise as many games back then and he was in the other division from the Quakes, I didn't get to see him play much...

8. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My god but Yallop got brutalized.

And I do have to say that when you take an uncontested freekick while the goalie is getting a card when you're 7-0 up you are a serious dick.

9. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG-my Tractor Boys got wholloped that day, but they are still fighting. I like the fact that there is a link between both my favorite clubs.

10. angra

angra New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    myfootongarbers'ass

Good call. Something the LA scum would do, if they were ever up 7-0. I recall when they were up 4-0, and we all know what happen.;)

11. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That was easily the most bothersome part of the video.

12. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think someone should suggest to the FO that they think about playing on FY's ties to Ipswich Town, as a brother club like some of the other US teams have done (i.e. FCD & Atl Paranaese/Leon; Atlanta & Inter/Independiente). Since I like both teams (Quakes & Ipswich) I think it would be a natural.

It would give the Quakes a link into English football and maybe they could pick another team in another part of the world. It could help and give the Quakes a leg up on the learning curve of keeping a team on top of its game.

13. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if you remember, Billy Beane is chummy with the brass at Tottenham. Nothing against Ipswich, but, I would much rather see the Quakes have a relationship with Spurs.

14. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd still support the link to the Tractor Boys, but any link would do. If it would help the Quakes in the long run, I am all for it.

15. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    I've thought about this too, but in a somewhat different light. Ipswich Town is the natural place for FY to enter English football. I can see his next stop in East Anglia.