News: NPSL Expansion 2014

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by MNkicks, Aug 20, 2013.

1. MNkicks

MNkicks New Member

May 26, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Two new clubs have been announced as 2014 NPSL expansion teams:
    Who else will be added?

COMMISH Q & A (June 2013 interview) - http://www.nationalpremiersoccerleague.com/home/732736.html

NPSL Commissioner Michael Hitchcock answers questions related to the NPSL’s future, the playoffs, and innovation in one of America’s fastest growing leagues.

3. What should we expect to see in terms of growth and expansion for 2014?

We’re very proactive with our expansion efforts and we’ve seen significant interest all over the country. We want to be strategic in our expansion by adding new members who are the right owners in the right markets. We’re working on parallel paths of expanding into new areas of the country where we do not have a strong presence while also growing the existing conferences. When I visit markets on the NPSL Tour, I’m meeting with prospective expansion owners. In Detroit, I entertained two prospective members who would join the Great Lakes Conference in the Mid-West Region. Target areas to try to start a new conference would be the Northwest, Rocky Mountain area and Heartland/Middle America while we need to strengthen South Central (Texas) and Florida. As I mentioned, I’m very excited by the response and interest in the NPSL, which is a credit to the attractive sustainable business model that the NPSL provides its members.

mbsc repped this.
  2. SteadfastSoccer

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I am hoping I can add a team to that list before christmas!

3. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess we can place this here... Scranton's Electric City Shock say they're coming in for 2014. Nothing official from the league as far as I know.

4. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone heard anything about Oklahoma City FC joining NPSL for 2014? Ive seen reports that USL has dropped their lawsuit against them, including the No-Compete. It's been speculated that this means that will play in NPSL for 2014. Any thoughts?

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm also having some very early discussions with some folks to try and maybe place an expansion team on the Delmarva Coast...

6. elpolloloco

elpolloloco New Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Wouldn't this be in regards to their NASL team? They were accepted into NASL for 2015 along side Jacksonville, though they are still not appearing on the NASL site. I know USL awarded a USL-Pro Franchise to a different group in Oklahoma City a some time before Oklahoma City FC was accepted into NASL. Since OKC FC had a PDL team, they were barred from having a pro team in a competing league if there was a USL-Pro team in the same city (No-compete). Last I heard OKC FC was filing a lawsuit.

This news hopefully opens the door for them to join NASL, but does pose the problem that exists in Tampa Bay. If pulling their PDL team solved the lawsuits, then it would seem logical for them to move to NPSL, though I haven't heard anything of the sort.

7. SteadfastSoccer

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--

I am trying in College Station, Texas. Hoping to build up the South Central! Someone told me the NPSL isn't going to exist in Texas anymore two days ago, that all the NPSL teams are pulling out to the TPSL except Liverpool Warriors.

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't Flower Mound come out fairly recently and say that they will be a NPSL expansion franchise???

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. SteadfastSoccer

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Yea they were talking about it in the other thread. I hope they follow through with it. Flower Mound, College Station, and Liver pool would make a nice triangle in Texas with the extension of Tulsa.

11. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If by ALL the Texas teams do you mean the 2 in Houston? Because other than Liverpool Warriors, there's only Tulsa in that conference. But with the addition of Flower Mound FC, and possibly OKC FC there shouldn't be a dramatic dropoff?

12. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the TPSL different? I just saw that the Houston Dutch Lions will be playing in the TPSL.

13. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dutch Lions are going to play in it? Wow, they were in PDL last year. Apparently USL isn't going to send them any cease and desist letters...

14. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    TPSL season doesn't conflict with NPSL season... technically nobody is talking publicly about "leaving" the NPSL (or PDL for that matter) to "join" TPSL but it wouldn't be a surprise to see either Houston NPSL team go "dark" for a season depending on their budgets...

15. SteadfastSoccer

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I've only heard it by word of mouth but like Rufnex stated, there is nothing publicly announced about it. And yes, I meant the two houston teams. Liverpool is staying in the NPSL from what I can tell and now flower mound has been updated on the wiki page as an official expansion. So Texas NPSL lives with/without Houston!

The Dutch lions have created a TPSL team but judging from their website they intend to have a PDL team. Personally, I think it'd be a terrible move to leave the PDL for the TPSL. Maybe it is a smart move for them though to join the TPSL for the winter season since I think they have enough players who are from the area/live in the area that do not attend NCAA Division soccer programs. In a way, a TPSL team for them could serve as Reserve team to pull from after they've recruited what collegiate players they can when the PDL season comes around.

16. Cleveland Soccer 2013

Sep 14, 2013
    Born in Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Leones
    The TPSL doesn't conflict with the NPSL. No one said that the Hurricanes and Regals are leaving. They just want to play year-round.

Excited to hear about a team in Flower Mound. Great market and sounds like an ownership group with some serious $$$$$$.

17. Cleveland Soccer 2013

Sep 14, 2013
    Born in Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Leones
    Any news about another team in New Jersey?

18. SteadfastSoccer

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Are the Leones going to join NPSL? Its nice to see them in the spotlight again with the TPSL.

19. SteadfastSoccer

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
  20. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Any news on teams NOT :( coming back for the 2014 season ?

21. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Nashville indicates that they are an approved non-profit, they don't have the 501C3 status from the IRS. Any donations made are not considered tax-deductible.

24. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish them the best. I think it will be interesting to watch what happens with them. It's a wonderful idea, a fan-owned team.