Now the tournament gets good

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by monster, Jun 24, 2004.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it's my attitude that's single-handedly keeping the USOC down.

Americans don't care about the US Open Cup. American soccer fans don't care about the US Open Cup. That'll change over time, but it'll take time, and it'll take "interesting" things like lower-division sides making runs, not just San Francisco Bay Seals to the semis and Rochester winning it, but lots of great stories and lots of time.

But, no, you just want the government to step in and force it to happen.

Well, we don't do that here.

Next.

2. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    And sometimes the herd is right...

3. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    like i've been said,with an attitude like that(that keeps insulting me) you'll get NOWHERE

4. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC

won't the papers should COVER those "great stories"?? otherwize nobody will know them right? well,it won't happen until the media will start to cover more soccer and you know that it won't happen unless....

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop posting stupid stuff, and we won't have to.

Amazing how many strides US soccer has made despite our insults of people who live in other countries. Just amazing.

6. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Funny-- I (and MLS, to be honest) have done pretty well.

Start talking sense and you'll stop getting insulted.

7. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    i've just suggested you should do stuff like they do it in a well-traditioned soccer countries and you snapped at me like i was the nation's greatest enemy

this is no way to promote soccer i'm affraid :(

8. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    Insulting you has something to do with promoting soccer??? Ok we'll insult you until MLS is bigger than the NFL....
    How many Y & B Powers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

9. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None Y&B gets the government to do it.

10. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    well,they should

i pay taxes don't i? :D

11. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the media wouldn't cover the single largest sporting event to ever take place in Japan of its own choosing? You mean the media wouldn't cover Japans second most popular team sport on its own?

Remember this sport, this league and this national cup competition are really just starting to build tradition. How can you respect the tradition of something that has traditionally been mired in obscurity? This is another hole in your swiss cheese logic. You are trying to come up with an overnight solution to an issue that will take time to resolve. (as has already been stated by numerous others)

If you really think that the state of soccer is so bad in this country, then please by all means give up on it. Go away and leave us up to our folly. Then once you have taken Israel to prominance on the world football scene, we'll invite you back as the messiah of US Soccer.

By the way, Israeli football would really advance to the world soccer forefront if the Israeli government simply handed over control of Jerusalem and Tel Aviv to the Palestinians and to their Arab neighbors.

12. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Drew. Let's not go there o.k. You got a football issue with Y&B Power then it's a football issue. I would like no politics being used in a football discussion. Including this strugle between Israel and the terrorists. So please no politics in a football discussion. Thank You.

13. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    one, because he's screwing himself- and I can't figure out how he got in there. :eek:

14. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry GIO17. I'm simply trying to relate to Y&B the impossible nature of getting a constitutional amendment passed so that the US government could force the press to cover something and much less to cover a sport. Why don't you also give Y&B the same warning and let him know that this is not a discussion about changing the US Constitution in order to advance his football goals.

15. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    soccer wasn't so popular in Japan before the WC mania and they haven't had a pro league until the J-league established 15 or 16 years ago

the USOC exists for 90 years now this is enough time to create a tradition the trouble is that even most of the hardcore MLS soccer fans in your country don't give it the respect it deserves

we have our own troubles with soccer in israel at the moment but at least we have had recent success in basketball with Israeli teams have won 2 of the 3 major european tournaments including the european championship by the Yellow&Blue Power Maccabi Tel-Aviv off course :)

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of the problem is that we don't have all that many hardcore MLS fans. Every city seems to have some, and they do turn out for the USOC. But it's the bulk of the people who you could convince to come to a game who prefer not to go to a Wednesday night game that's not on their schedule months in advance and is in a tournament they don't know about or understand fully.

It'll take time. That's it. Time.

17. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    and how much time do you think it'll take? 50 years? 100??

sorry but i won't think it'll happen with the current poor media coverage

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. Fewer than 50.

But you cannot mandate coverage of anything by the media in this country. We don't do that. As soccer becomes more popular (I daresay it's much more popular today as a spectator sport - at all levels - than it was just 14 years ago), the tournament will garner more coverage on its own. But blaming the media for not covering something that people don't care about is just dumb, and suggesting the government step in as if soccer is a charity is worse.

19. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Kenn,i hope it's obvious i didn't mean the government should put a gun to the media's directors heads' but that they'll pay the media to cover more soccer as it is the world's game and we all want to see more of it

BTW,in covering more soccer i don't mean only american soccer but i also have in mind covering a lot of european soccer for the public to see the packed stadias with the passion and the intesity of the game

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, so they'll pay the media off.

Oh, well that's a totally different kettle of fish.

Of course, that's a sound and reasonable strategy.

[​IMG]

21. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Comedy gold!
    But top flight Japanese soccer didn't start with the J-League. You're ignoring the fact that JSL, a relatively popular semi-pro league existed for about 40 years prior to the founding of the J-League.

(Not to get off on a tangent, but most Japanese sports are semi-pro, with teams and athletes that are nominally employees of major corporations - that goes for rugby, volleyball, marathon runners etc. IINM, baseball, soccer and sumo are the only sports that are truly professional in Japan).

In fact, every J-League club is a reincarnation of a JSL club that already had fans, corporate backing and management structure, and most importantly, media coverage before the league began. Plus, there was the Emperor's Cup (Japanese equivalent of USOC) which has been around for over 80 years. Then there is the high school tournament, which isn't nearly as big as the baseball high school tournament, but the later rounds manage to get on national TV nonetheless.

The fact is, Japanese media had covered soccer for decades (popularity of the sport really started with the 1968 Olympic Games, in which Japan won the Bronze), and soccer has always had a strong following among the public, especially in smaller communities like Shimizu. I'll say it as politely as I can - you're talking out of your ass.

22. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    OK wize guy,i'll have to accept that Japan has had a passion for soccer long before the WC it's not what i've been reading but i'll have to take your word for it since ur a japanese yourself

now US soccer officially doesn't need the government to promote it i hope your all happy now

23. uhclem

uhclem Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Spring Lake Park, MN
    Hello.

To get us back to the subject...:rolleyes:

A slightly altered July 12th repost of mine from USLDiscussions.com

I'd like to talk up the Minnesota Thunder's chances against the LA. Galaxy.

I'm gonna skip over the Galaxy's advantages, as we all know what they are.

Let's look at some factors that favor the Thunder.

With us being the underdog, L.A. could take us lightly. A significant number of their players will probably remember the 4-0 pasting they gave to the 2002 Thunder. Thing is, they won't be playing the 2002 Thunder. They'll be playing the current Thunder squad, a much improved team, no disrespect to Thunder alumni.

L.A. strikes me as one of the better match-ups we could ask for, as far as an MLS team is concerned. True, they're leading the league in goals, but that's playing into our strength. Statistically, we have one of the two best defenses in our league. In my objective :rolleyes: opinion, I think we have the best. Incidently, L.A. is only a .500 team on the road, with a goal plus/minus differential of only +1.

As for our offense, it appears that we are beginning to pick it up a little in that department, with the addition of David Castellanos and significantly improved offensive midfield play.

And how are the Galaxy doing, defensively? Only the MetroStars have given up more goals this season. It's very possible that we could take advantage of that.

Referring back to that 4-0 defeat in 2002, while checking the Thunder archives for the specifics of the match, I noticed that it was the third game in five days for our guys. This year, it'll be our FIRST game in five days. We should be relatively fresh. And, the Galaxy's schedule...?

On July 10th they played at home, defeating the Colorado Rapids, 2-0. Four rest days with TRAVEL thrown in before their next game on the 14th in Colorado, which they drew nil-nil. After that game, they fly to Washington D.C. to play United on the 17th with slightly less than three days rest with TRAVEL thrown in. Then they fly here to face us with only three days rest with TRAVEL thrown in. To top it all off, after our game, they have to be in Kansas City on the 24th to face the team that currently sits a scant 2 points behind them in the standings, playing on four days rest with TRAVEL thrown in.

Upon completion of the above stretch, they will have played five matches in fifteen days, the last four of them on the road. They will have flown from L.A. to Denver to Washington D.C. to Minneapolis to Kansas City in a two week period, with all the jet lag that will entail, having never seen home in the interim. We will have been their fourth opponent in eleven days, their third in six.

Think they'll be a bit tired? Think they might try to slip by us with the bottom half of their roster? Think they might have K.C. on their minds while facing us?

It would be a bit foolish to think that the Thunder should be favored. However, if an upset is going to take place in the 4th round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, it's gonna take place on July 20th, 2004, in the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome.

Wondering what the fan giveaway version of the 2004 Minnesota Thunder U.S. Open Cup Championship Ring is gonna look like, I remain

That little old jersey collector

Me

24. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    don't cut the Battery off yet,i feel like they can take advantage of the missing out Metros squad :(

25. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I am still disapointed that the general public are not excited about a cup competition like the FA cup. :(