Now, does this make sense?

Discussion in 'England' started by counterattack, Sep 26, 2002.

1. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/2283634.stm

I am quite sure the English public will come to see the new Wembley as a positive.
    I just do not understand why all of England has to trek to Wembley to watch the National team.
    Is there any other country in the World that forces its Nats to play in one stadium, exclusively?
    Plus, is this just another example of English myopia? Afterall, every report I read says the National team visits to the many outstanding stadiums around England have been roaring successes.

2. robbief

robbief Member

Aug 7, 1999
    Boca Raton, FL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    many countries play virtually all of their national team games in one stadium. most countries (including england) are much smaller than the u.s., so it isn't a huge problem to travel to the same place for national team games. although it might not be ideal for people from say newcastle to travel down to london it is still only about a 5 hour train ride, not the worst thing in the world for the occasional national team match.

3. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Only a FIVE HOUR TRAIN RIDE!!
    Let's see, I want to take Mum and the kiddies to see the National Team of England, and the first thing I have to do is put them on a train from Newcastle, for a total of TEN HOURS, find a place to stay in London (tain't cheap), and pay mass poundage for the pleasure.

But, afterall, I live in Newcastle, which makes me slightly less English than the more English English who live in and around London. They can damn near walk over to the new Wembley and catch a National game if they so wish.

No wonder we kicked your royal asses out this country a couple a hundred years ago or so. Here is a little clue, and you don't have to pay me for it. . .
    LONDON IS NOT THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE.

4. Chairboy

Chairboy New Member

Sep 6, 2002
    London, England
    As a Londoner, obviously having the national stadium in Wembley is great. But on a non-selfish point of view I would rather us to 'do the tour' as we've been doing for the last couple of years. It's proven and it works. I think that when it's London's turn to host a national game it should be played at Twickenham but those t*ats at the RFU would never allow it.

5. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Waste of money, waste of time and a complete farce. I've already stated in another thread that this is two fingers up to fans outside the southeast and it is! Polls continually show that around 70% of fans want the stadium in Birmingham. All this white elephant does is prove that London looks after Londons interests first and couldn't give a flying ************ the rest of the country.

Now if they were to continue the England roadshow with perhaps 1 in 3 games going to the new Wembley I wouldn't be complaining but that's not going to happen. The cost of this pile of ************ in the middle of an industrial estate in a non-footballing area means that they need to host every England international there for the next 30 years at least. It just goes to show that the FA considers the England team to be London's little play thing.

************ing wankers.

6. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    I would like to know where this thread you speak of is located. I may not post, but it would heart warming to read how true English are rightfully pissed royal over this London Only up-yours.

I was losing faith in the ancient rule of English Common Sense. It seems that I was wrong. But it should be more than just indignation and harsh words. English fans should organize, and tell the powers-that-be that they will not pay, nationally, for London Wembley if the end result is giving up seeing the Nats play in one of the many storied stadiums that your fair island is blessed with.

Other than that, this is my last post on the subject. Good luck, lads.

7. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We did have a long thread on it but that was before The Big Crash, so it's gone now. However if you want a fairly humorous look at this farce go here.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,4284,800704,00.html

There's a part right near the end which, while it's meant to be humorous, isn't actually too far off the truth.