November 15 & 19, 2019 Friendlies (Peru and Ecuador)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Furnaccio, Oct 16, 2019.

1. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Maybe in other times it could be another case. But when Quintero barely returned from the injury and Borre won't be the main guy of the NT at least in the next year, I don't think we should call them anyway. Today Queiroz will announce the final squad. Would like to see Morelos gets much more opportunities.

2. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Disagree. MLS is bad, but Scotland has players so limited that all they can do is hoof ball their way. Celtic who is their best side have been embarrassed time and time again in Europe. At least teams in the MLS actually try to play properly as well as having more talent in there.

Azucarero repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #53 HomietheClown, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    When it comes to Quintero I can fully understand not calling him up. But it would be kind of awkward to try to fit him into tactics and formations during important matches without ever having him a part of the squad so I am concerned he could be lost in the shuffle.

It appears CQ sees Santos Borre as a #9. With the injury to Duvan and the lack of playing time or good form by Falcao it makes Morelos really the only guy who can play #9 in these friendlies and he is not really a pure one in my eyes either.

Maybe Muriel or Sinisterra can play there too as they do for their clubs at times but it is a bit concerning. If I were the manager I would say Santos Borre has to be on this roster but we shall see what Queiroz does soon.

4. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    HomietheClown and Furnaccio repped this.
  5. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What a joke Murillo he have been sub in one of the worst teams in serie A this season.

Honestly why dont give a shot to Cuesta, Aguilar or Bernardo.

Good that river players were called up.....the final will be more important.

I imagine that muriel will be used as 9 with roger and james...

crzdcolombian repped this.
  6. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ospina - no surprise, but i would like to see the other two guys play instead
    Quintana - hope he plays
    Chaux - hope he plays

Medina - no surprise, but i prefer Arias. If Medina is going to be the go-to guy in WCQ and CA, I want him to prove me wrong and convert me into a believer - i really don't care how he does in Friendlies - it's the official games that matter
    Arias - no surprise - hope he plays more than Medina
    Davinson - no surprise
    Mina - no surprise
    Lucumi - hope he plays more than last month
    Jeison - mehhhhh, i'm over him
    Tesillo - no surprise
    Mojica - playing against 2nd division players weekly annoys me

Barrios - no surprise
    Lerma - no surprise
    Cuadrado - no surprise - probably wishful thinking, but wouldn't mind seeing him as RB instead of Medina
    Yairo - i like the kid, hope to see what he can do again this month.
    Uribe - i would like to see him and Luis Diaz on the pitch at the same time - maybe some of their Porto chemistry can help the NT
    Alzate - welcome to the party!

James - welcome back, time to play with a chip on the shoulder
    Stiven - welcome to the party
    Roger - no surprise
    Luis Diaz - no surprise, play him at the same time as Uribe
    Muriel - no surprise
    Morelos - these two games couldn't have come at a better time, these games are his big opportunity to shine. No Duvan, no Borre, no Falcao...

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I guess he just doe not like Aguilar or Bernardo. Maybe Reyes is trying to get Cuesta for the Olympics squad?
    CQ also mentioned a few months back that certain CBs get called up because they are naturally left footed and Jeison seems to fit into that side of the field better.

Good call on Roger being an option at #9 too but he is another guy who I think is not great at that position. Maybe this will force Queiroz to start a 4-4-2 or play around with the formation a bit.

Azucarero and Furnaccio repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #58 HomietheClown, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    It will be very interesting to see if either of those new Keepers get a chance. Ecuador would probably be the match to see that happen because they are horrible but still. Would not be shocked to see Ospina start both matches again though.

Alzate seems like a guy who can add something different so that is exciting but he is new so he may look out of place not knowing what to do too. Hope he is a spark of younger energy though.

James will be ready and has killed both Peru and Ecuador in his career so I expect him to keep that up.

I feel happy for Mendoza. I have been following his career since the Sub 17 back in Nigeria when he looked like a future star at LB. After 10 years of grinding, bouncing from league to league and transforming his game into more of a second striker I am glad he is finally being given a chance.
    It may not be for more than a cup of coffee this November but I am happy he is playing well in France and is being rewarded for it.

Furnaccio repped this.
  9. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I don't see him as someone who can add something different. I think he's a solid MF but personally I think he's average in that position. He's a very disciplined player tactically so you won't see him taking much risk. I don't think he would ever have a shot of making the English squad and hence why he took up the call. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

10. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I'm both very happy and kinda angry about Alzate's callup.

It's great Quieroz is bringing up the kid, despite how young he is. F that age thing. If the guy is ready, call him.

On the other hand, this guy has been playing first division futbol for a whole two months and gets a nod before guys like Cantillo who've been making a case for YEARS.

Note: aside from the goalies, not a single player from FPC was called...

villus, pibe10 and pepinointer repped this.
  11. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah i agree.

I feel relief that Alzate will play a FIFA match with us...so if in the future he becomes a crack, Engalnd wont take him from us. But that is it......How this guy thinks that our player should leave colombia to prove they are good...is so eurocentric and view of 1970 the world.....

He should think that argentinians are super rich and disciplined because they are white.....

Azucarero and crzdcolombian repped this.
  12. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    23 players only

called up Murillo

fk this coach!!

James might potentially be injured... so 19 field players

does he get a bonus for not taking more then 23 players?

13. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm missing Camilo Vargas here. Fabra also. Cantillo def has a place in this squad. Daniel Muñoz should be here. Would also love to try Andres Ricaurte. Stiven Medoza for me is a waste of time. I saw him enough before, don't think he's a NT material. Yimmy Chara is a much better player, for example. In general the call ups are good, hopefully we'll play much better than in October.

pepinointer and Furnaccio repped this.
  14. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah I don't think Stiven is at a high enough level but it sounds like CQ wants to have a look for himself, Duvan and Falcao are healthy and there's no way he's there imo.

Alzate I think in a vacuum he's probably not ready and there are others like Cantillo who have shown more, but Alzate is eligible for England so if he ends up blowing up as a player we could lose him, so with those guys its always best to get them in early and in the program for insurance, you can always drop him later. He does fit the profile of a Uribe backup which we don't exactly have, Lerma is more defensive and the others are more deep playmakers holding mids, Alzate fits the profile of a guy an 8 that could backup Cuadrado/Uribe and for this system we need those guys so he makes sense.

Furnaccio repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, Chara may be a better player but Queiroz has already given him a chance and he obviously did not like what he saw.
    Mendoza has improved his game a lot over the last couple of years and is looking relatively dangerous in France. It could be like a Berrio situation where he is called up and does not impress but it can also be a situation he balls out because this is his first time being called up and he wants to make a good impression.
    I never count out a guy who is hungry.

Furnaccio repped this.
  16. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Is Alzate > Aguelo of Genoa? Who is with the u23s.

think this is more to cup tie him. Which it doesn’t unless he plays Copa America or a qualifier.

hope he does well tho but seems more of a player for the Olympics not Copa America. Who did Cantillo piss off not to get called

the coach calls way to few players because he wants everyone to play. Which is nice but at the same time don’t use you didn’t have enough time to test people as an excuse if the team does bad when it counts

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Alzate is a different player than Agudelo from what I have seen.
    So it is a different position/roster spot they are fighting for.

Azucarero and pepinointer repped this.
  18. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Alzate needs more time to see how good he is but in the limited amount I've seen he's got a lot of really good qualities and has played in the middle and wing already, attacks as well as shows discipline defensively. He plays the role we are super short in, if Uribe and Cuadrado aren't available we don't have a lot of guys who can operate all over the field, wide, central defend and attack but Alzate is directly in that mold. I can see why he's being fast tracked, is position specific and he's tailor made for our biggest hole and he fits the pressing system that CQ wants to play perfectly, so he probably gets a boost because all of that which makes getting him in the system even more important.

He has a future, he may not be a super star but as we're seeing with Uribe those versatile guys are very valuable, and if we want to utilize guys like James and Quintero we need guys like that in midfield who can cover for them defensively as well as break lines and profit off that creativity as well.

Azucarero repped this.
  19. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i agree with all, but Vargas.

Yeah Vargas is decent goalie......but he isnt young.......and he keeps making mistakes and in these matches that were important for the qualification of atlas in finals.........he started to make mistakes and recive a lot of goals.........

If he isnt going to be starter, i prefer that his sport is taken by a younger goalie that will be trained.

pibe10 repped this.
  20. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    A friendly in fifa date...actually tie players.

Daniel bilos for example.

Costa match wasnt a fifa date

21. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I do agree regarding him not being younger , the problem is that the others are inexperienced nor better than him. (Referring to Chaux and Quitana). However, beside Montero who will be available in December, I really think that Jefferson Martinez should be taken in consider. The second best of the local goalkeepers in my opinion.

22. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Are Quintana and Jefferson Martinez starters?

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Only Official matches cap tie players. Friendlies do not.

24. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    and youth tournaments??

25. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not absolutely starters. One rotate spot with Fariñez and the other with Cuadrado.