Nov. 19 - USA v. Brazil in NJ?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by retnicf, Aug 13, 2002.

1. retnicf

retnicf Member

May 7, 2001
    Mount Vernon, NY
    Soccer notebook: Zoffinger says no game on 9/11 - Star Ledger

"The NJSEA also is looking to land the United States-Brazil match, which may be played Nov. 19, the next open date on the FIFA calendar."

I thought we were playing Australia in Nov?

2. sachinag

sachinag New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO
    Even after 70K, there's no way Chicago's going to support NJSEA by scheduling a friendly with an organization that many perceive to be screwing over its own tenant with horrible rent terms in a stadium with football lines in a cold weather area in November.

Move along now, nothing to see here. Come back again for seven, I mean five, I mean three, international club friendlies next summer at lovely Giants Stadium.

3. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    What are you talking about? Chicago, then you start talkign about tenants, and then friendlies???

4. sachinag

sachinag New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO
    Chicago is the HQ for the USSF.

The Metrostars are tenants of NJSEA's Giants Stadium, where they pay 80K a game in rent and receive no share of concessions or parking. And security there sucks.

The first soccer event held at Giants Stadium w/o assistance from the Metrostars was last week, where NJSEA promoted a match between Real Madrid and AS Roma. It had 70K spectators and was roundly considered a huge success. NJSEA is talking about hosting five international club friendlies next summer. One is already scheduled for August, with Manchester United playing an as-yet-undetermined team.

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Do us all a favor and not refer to USSF as "Chicago." It will help keep the peace around here. Sweeper is well aware of the rest of that stuff.

6. sachinag

sachinag New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO
    sorry-o

It's easier to type than USSF with my broken CapsLock.

I'm not around enough to recognize people, so sorry, Sweeper.

7. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Is the Australia game still on?

8. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Has anyone ever seen Giants Stadium in November? That isn't actual grass on the field, it is mud painted green. No international soccer team in their right mind would play on that field, especially Brazil.

The only good thing that comes out of all this is that maybe, just maybe the field for the Metrostars next year is going to be in tip top shape. This as a result of the international friendlies that will be hosted.

9. Scrandal

Scrandal Member

Nov 5, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    US vs. Brazil When? This Year!

It looks as though the promoter is just begging/trying to make this happen. The USSF surely sees the antagonisms at the Metrolands and will stay away.

My best guess of what will likely occur is a west coast venue for Australia on this date. The match is allready agreed upon, likely a double header with the USWMNT. Then in December for the other open FIFA date it would likely appeal to Bruce and the rest of the players to get together somewhere like Miami and have a good week there. There your assured of just as big a crowd as anywhere in the USA.

We'll see.

RGR

10. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a conspiricy against Ronaldo!

11. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    What about USA /POLAND

Everybody really want to see USA/ POLAND, for the USA the same lineup we use against PORTUGAL.....

12. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    I think we've seen enough of Poland for the time being.

13. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    I hate this guy. Everyone, please do your part in writing to New Jersey senators to vote for the MetroStars' future stadium. Then, we can avoid jack@$$es like George Zoffinger who charge far too much rent and screw us over.

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone provide me with pertinent names and addresses and I will start cranking letters/emails out.

15. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    You want to send hate mail to George Zoffinger or do you want to send e-mails to the NJ Senators persuading them to vote for the stadium?

Here is the link for the senators:
    http://www.metrostars.com/stadium/harrison/talkback.html

I'll work on finding George Zoffinger's email.

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pretty much looking for the senators, but I will send a blast to Zoffinger as well. Many thanks.

17. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    I'm having a hard time finding Zoffinger's email. I found the NJSEA website by typing in his name at Yahoo!, but they didn't have an email link to him.

18. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United