Rumor: Nov 14 - Slovakia vs USA?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Canadian_Supporter, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Pl@ymaker and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst timing ever. Who the hell cares. Probably was supposed to be a prep match. Now? Insult to injury except for forcing a coaching decision.

3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These matches are indeed usually shcedueled ahead of time. Gulati probably thought we would qualify, of course.

4. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We dont qualify for the WC, that means we should just cancel all of our future games??????????

Lol no, bring the youth and let them play and grow.

Dolemite, adam tash, Amaru523 and 15 others repped this.
  5. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Only care if Arena is gone by then. BTW, why isn't he gone now? How much does he have to screw up to be sent packing?

6. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    #6 largegarlic, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Yeah, I'd imagine they had some friendlies in Europe lined up to make it easier to look at some Euro guys who haven't gotten shots and get used to playing over there.

It will be hard to watch these games, though.

7. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Best to take advantage of those to try new players or new tactics because...Friendlies with European nations will soon be a thing of the past

Soon, we'll have our CONCACAF League of nation to replace all our friendlies

juveeer and SteelyTom repped this.
  8. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as the rest of the crap lately, this one is just piling on. Really a sad time for soccer in the USA.

adam tash repped this.
  9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What do you mean?

10. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friendlies are all being taken away by these stupid federation money-grabs. UEFA teams will be no longer available for friendlies. Soon we will be obligated to play Gernada and Bermuda and Canada on all our friendly dates. That's really going to help us get better.

majspike and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I posted this in another thread:

3:50 mark
    -Most arrogant US team I've seen in 20 years

1.The USSF must start respecting the region and opponents. The point of this format is to improve the entire region so another "Iceland" can emerge. A stronger CONCACAF benefits everyone including the USA. Not everything is about the USSF

2.It's a sure thing that the US would be in the top tier. So the bulk of their matches or all matches would be against Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Honduras, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Jamaica, Salvador, Haiti and Canada. I hope you're not telling me that playing these nations is beneath the USMNT, especially after the way the HEX went down.

3.So no, the US would not be playing Grenada, St.Vincent or Cuba if CONCACAF imitates UEFA

Hope that clears things

12. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Hard to respect other teams when your manager and captain are condescending, dismissive jerks.

juveeer repped this.
  13. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Will this League of Nations still play under friendly sub rules? Seems kind of weird to market "competitive" friendlies. Although I rarely watch friendlies these days, so replicating something closer to a real game could be a good thing, although that depends on teams respecting the "league" format. Kind of feels like that Guinness Champions Cup or whatever it was called.

14. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #14 Robert Borden, Oct 12, 2017
    Hard to answer. I know UEFA intend to use the league of nation as qualifiers for the Euro. In turn, I expect CONCACAF to use it to qualify for Gold Cup and/or Copa America.

Example:
    41 members
    Ranking : http://en.fifaranking.net/concacaf/ranking.php

League A (all qualify for Gold Cup - 10 teams) & (top 6 goes to Copa America)
    Mexico, Costa Rica, United States, Haiti, Panama, Jamaica, Honduras, Curacao, Canada, Trinidad & Tobago

League B (top 2 qualify to Gold Cup)
    El Salvador, Nicaragua, Suriname, St.Kitts and Nevis, Antigua and Barbuda, Guatemala, Guyana, Grenada, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico

League C (top 2 qualify to Gold Cup)
    Belize, Barbados, Dominica, St.Vincent and the Grenadines, St.Lucia, Aruba, Cuba, Bermuda, U.S Virgin Islands, Montserrat

League D (top 2 qualify to Gold Cup)
    Turks and Caicos Islands, Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Anguilla, Martinique, French Guyana, Guadeloupe, St.Martin, Sint.Maarten

Montagliani wouldn't commit to a Gold Cup past 2019 questioning it's relevance.

There's also going to be pro/rel among the different groups. I doubt friendly subs will be allowed. The whole point of this format is to make these games truly matter

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #15 ussoccer97531, Oct 12, 2017
    The region is not good. Whether we qualified or not, it doesn't change that. We are not beneath playing teams in this region, but that was not why we didn't qualify. Those who are fans of lesser teams within CONCACAF will say what you are claiming, but we didn't qualify because we (ourselves) were a disaster. Don't give undue credit to the rest of the region for that. Mexico didn't finish fourth last cycle due to the region, it was due to them. Look how they did this cycle, these teams couldn't even give them a game, for the most part. Same way it was for us in previous cycles, and thats the same way it'll likely be for us next cycle.

Most of the region has key players who are bench players in MLS. Our MLS players are supposed to be among the better MLS players. Its disingenuous to try to act like we didn't qualify because the CONCACAF nations are any more than marginally better than previous cycles.

So while we wouldn't be playing minnows to face Mexico and Costa Rica, it doesn't mean we want to regularly be playing games against Trinidad & Tobago, Panama, Honduras. That would be the equivalent of facing the Ireland's, Israel's, Slovenia's, Scotland's of Europe, which are games we would not want to take all too often. Its not that they are bad teams, its that we want to be facing the top countries like Spain, Brazil, Germany in friendlies. Getting rid of all of those for the cycle will not help us, it'll only help each region make some more money. Thats all they care about, money in their pockets, not the teams. And then facing teams like Curacao, Canada, Haiti is of no use to us. You know that, whether you admit it or not.

adi21, majspike, RalleeMonkey and 6 others repped this.
  16. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #16 Robert Borden, Oct 12, 2017
    There's a lot of denial in your post and that's why I post videos of analyst saying what happened instead of myself who's opinion could be easily dismissed. That kind of mentality within the USSF is in part what caused it's demised in the hex. Those teams do deserve their due credit and the US is out because they couldn't win on the road and were too busy taking shots at their opponents and European nations than focusing on the task at hand.

Not me saying it, but most American Analysts seems to agree and denounce the USSF arrogance.

So why aren't you going to at least the Inter-Continental playoffs? Sorry but the CONCACAF players in MLS has out-performed the US MLS players in the HEX. Why can't you see the facts? Some observers are starting to joke/observe that MLS has helped CONCACAF national teams more than they helped the USMNT.

Wake up man, those nation don't care nor want to face the USA. There's a huge disconnect between what you think the world truly thinks of the USMNT and how the world really does views the US and that trend seems to transcend sports.

Europe don't deem CONCACAF worth their time outside of Mexico. Before again (arrogance) calling the rest of the region "minnows", recognized that it wouldn't hurt to do well/dominate the league of nation before making the argument that the US should still have friendlies with the rest of the world.

2in10 repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Y'all are minnows. You are trying to take advantage of our poor result, you think you can trot on over here and disrespect us because of the worst result in our nation's history. You know what you are doing.

And whether we qualified for the WC or not, it doesn't change our standing in world football, at all. Our place doesn't change, better or worse, without a significant sampling of much better or much worse play. That happens over multiple years and cycles not 10 games. If those teams don't want to face us, why have they always faced us? We've faced more of them than Mexico as well, but you are just here to put us down, so you'll say we are equivalent to the minnows of the region due to one qualifying campaign.

You also shouldn't try to deceive everyone by claiming American pundits are claiming that. Have you ever watched that show? The guy you are claiming is proof for that is from one of those minnow countries, another is from one of CONMEBOL's minnow countries. The minnows should stop worrying about us, and worry about themselves. We worry about ourselves plenty and why we failed.

18. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Wow! Arrogance. The USMNT isn't the only team who had disastrous results. Ask Chile and the Netherlands.

Well, missing the World Cup kind of does...

Ok, but you live in the past. If you focus on today/recently, those teams aren't interested anymore...hence, the league of nations.

So Chile and the Netherlands are minnows now for missing Russia? Why do you keep on using that word? Can you stop being arrogant?

adi21 and juveeer repped this.
  19. chrisdon72

chrisdon72 Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Sorry, I can assure you the vast majority of US Soccer supporters don't give two bits about Canadian soccer. It isn't USSF's job to grow soccer in Canada and the rest of CONCACAF.

I'd much rather play Asian friendlies or say an African nation in London. Maybe Syria in Germany. Etc. More international matches involving heavy travel for our best players and against low quality CONCACAF nations that couldn't even make the Hex is the last thing US Soccer needs right now.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  20. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's not the USSF job, but it's CONCACAF job and that why were getting a League of Nation of our own. The USSF isn't bigger than CONCACAF

But CONCACAF has decided otherwise and it's hard to disagree from a regional point of view. We're the worst region for a reason and you're demanding more of the same

May I remind you the US finished 5th in the Hex? Again, you seem very uninformed on how the league of nation would work. The US would most likely only play in a group composed of the top 10 teams only, just like Spain wouldn't be facing Gibraltar anymore unless they promote.

CONCACAF is weak because the rest of the region don't play enough games. Our qualifiers is a broken system that eliminates such nation sometimes within the 1st year, thus leaving them with over 3 years with nothing to do. You don't see that in other confederation. That's why we're getting a league of nation.

Bottom teams play more games among themselves while top teams do the same so they don't waste their time.

By the way, CONMEBOL only have 10 teams constantly playing one another. By doing so, we're witnessing the rise of Peru and Venezuela. Why am I bothering...you clearly can't see past your team

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great. Now we get to be lectured by a Canadian on how bad we are. I guess all the rest of Concacaf is ready to make the next seven World Cups because they are as good as the US and it's not that the US just had a bad generation after 28 years.

majspike and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #22 Robert Borden, Oct 12, 2017
    Why so sensitive???

Strange post... ESPN did the lecturing, send them a complaint letter if you disagree

I'm explaining why a league of Nation matters and that the other teams deserves credit.

Seriously, starting to think that posts such as these come from people who haven't watched a single game who don't involve the USMNT. Honduras took it to Mexico, same for Panama against Costa Rica, beating those two is no easy task. They deserve full credit for qualifying.

23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, maybe we just didn't make the WC after seven cycles? Why so dense. We are in mourning and you come in with this crap now? Go away.

adi21 repped this.
  24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How can you do better if you don't identify what went wrong and look for solutions?

But I guess you're still in the 1st stage of grief. I'll let you be

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You better bet we better play. Worst thing we could possibly do is coward down and say we're going to take a break until we sort things out. No, USSF can deal with the fallout that they need to make amends. Schedule it.

Who coaches?

Hire Tab as interim head coach. He's already filling at the u20 level. He's on staff. He knows the young players. Let him hold the reigns until we hire the right coach.

Who to call in? Young players. Send a message that the old players had their send off in Trinidad and Tobago. Michael Bradley has played his last game.

My group:

GK Horvath, J.Gonzalez, Hamid, Steffen

DF Glad, Miazga, Carter-Vickers, Palmer-Brown, Parker, Zimmerman

MF Yedlin, Arriola, Adams, J.Gonzalez, Roldan, Acosta, McKennie, Pulisic, Scott, Rowe, Gooch, Saief

FW Wood, Wright, Sargent, Weah, Dwyer, Siebatcheu

---------Wood---Dwyer-------
    Gooch------Pulisic--------Yedlin
    ------McKennie---Gonzalez----
    ----CCV---Miazga---Glad------
    --------------Horvath-------------

Subs:
    J.Gonzalez (Horvath)
    Wright (Dwyer)
    Roldan (McKennie)
    Adams (Gonzalez)
    Saief (Gooch)
    EPB (Glad)

juveeer, Namdynamo, TOAzer and 5 others repped this.