Nottingham Forest

Discussion in 'League Championship' started by martin0482002, Mar 30, 2003.

1. martin0482002

martin0482002 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Nottingham, England
    Come on all you Forest fans - do you think we're going up or not?
    I'm going to Ipswich away and then there's some killer games coming up.
    But if Huckerby keeps playing great I think we'll do it - so who's going to Cardiff then?

Martin

2. forest.clough

forest.clough New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    mansfield . G.B.
    I am now begining to get worried that we wont even make the play-offs Ipswich are bang on form and norwich are also there we need 2 wins and a draw from our last 3 games to be safe in the play-offs.

3. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forest fans, don't get greedy!

Forest almost disappeared not so long ago due to the financial problems. For the Reds to avoid another relegation, much less have a shot at a promotion, is a tremendous accomplishment. Relish it, as I do every time Dallas manages a draw.

I doubt Forest will make it to the top flight this year, but they will make it. Sooner, rather than later.

4. martin0482002

martin0482002 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Nottingham, England
    We're not talking American Football here or soccer mate - we're talking association football, you know the beautiful game.
    How does a guy from Dallas know if Forest are going up or not - how many games you been to this season lol.

Martin

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    You do realize that soccer is an abbreviation of association, don't you?

Two threads on that topic ...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44679

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44537

It's a shame you couldn't hold onto Ben Olsen. (And it's also a shame he got injured while playing for Nottingham. Hasn't been the same player for DC United since.) Good luck though.

6. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martin, when I see pictures of City Ground, I do not even recognize it.

As a Forest supporter deep in the heart of Texas, 100 degrees at night, I have to get all my information off the web. Judging from that, Forest will not be promoted this year. Though there is no reason not to beat Sheffield United so badly tomorrow that the return leg is meaningless.

7. martin0482002

martin0482002 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Nottingham, England
    I hope you're right mate - we'll find out at 12.15pm Sat 10th May - tomorrow in fact!

Martin

8. frightwig

frightwig New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    I live in the US and so don't get to see much Division One action, so these playoff games were the first I've seen of Forest this season. I must say that I went in to the games as an interested 'neutral,' but came out a Forest fan.

The team plays with skill & style, they move the ball around the field beautifully, and I really enjoyed watching them. Shame that Harewood had to go off after getting knocked on the back of the head; that might have been a crucial turning point in the game.

It's just too bad the team got nicked by a side that I thought was an inferior band of thugs. It would be fun to watch Forest play in the Premiership; I think they could hold their own. Better luck next year, perhaps.

9. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think they were really ready? I know there would be an influx of cash with a move to the EPL but wouldn't it have probably been one year in the top flight and then back down? I think they're probably better off building on what they accomplished this year.

What do they need? frightwig's right about not getting to see D1 soccer enough here to be able to follow the club closely.

10. forest.clough

forest.clough New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    mansfield . G.B.
    yes we quite liked Ben Olsen.....he was a good player but the financial plight of the club was so that we wouldnt have been able to sign him anyway :(
    he is at dc united is he ? at least he has the consolation of wearing one of the coolest looking kits in club football then :)

11. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vicar is right.

Looking from where Forest finsihed, getting to the playoffs was an astonishing performance. I would think Forest needs another couple of players. Not so much because they need the talent (though you can't have too much of that), but they do need the attitude and the swagger that comes with being promotion favorites (there is no "u" in that word). Come on, lads, when you've got the other fellow by the balls, you don't let him go. You rip them off.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU REEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDS!

12. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    quite right :D

13. msenger

msenger New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    How do you know that this bloke from Dallas is not originally from F****t? Give him some credit.

Notts Forest going errrr.... up? Hmmm looks as though Division 2 is in the future from where I sit.

UP THE RAMS!
    Cinci Mike

14. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    No surprises here:

Er Pichi

Troubled Forest part company with Megson

Managerless Nottingham Forest should consider placing former boss Paul Hart in caretaker charge at the City Ground, according to Reds goalscoring great Garry Birtles.

Former England and Forest frontman Birtles believes Hart is the ideal candidate to fill the manager's chair vacated after the club and Gary Megson parted company this afternoon.

Appointed as replacement for Joe Kinnear in January of 2005, Megson failed to save the Reds from relegation from the Championship at the end of last season.

And the City Ground club have since failed to mount the sustained challenge for promotion out of League One demanded by supporters.

Last night's 3-0 defeat at Oldham left the former back-to-back European Cup winners a mid-table 13th, 11 points adrift of the top six and four points above the relegation zone.

Forest have won just one league match on the road so far this season and have drawn three and lost four of their last seven fixtures.

And a club statement read: 'Nottingham Forest can confirm manager Gary Megson has left the club by mutual consent.

'The board will be meeting this evening to discuss the matter of an interim managerial appointment.

'The club will make no further statement until chairman Nigel Doughty has spoken to the football staff and the players tomorrow.'

Birtles said: 'The board meet this evening to decide on their next step.

'We've seen Leicester and Derby recently lose their managers and make interim appointments.

'That could be the way forward for Forest and I think they could do a lot worse than get Paul Hart back in until the end of the season.

'Harty knows the academy there and he knows the club.'

Birtles admits promotion is now only 'an outside possibility'.

'Gary Megson would be the first to tell you football is a results-based business and the run the club has been on has been very bad.

'You look at the table and Forest are just four points clear of the relegation zone and even though I don't think the club will get relegated, expectations reach a lot higher than that in Nottingham.

'Promotion is still a possibility, but I think it's an outside possibility.

'There are only 13 games left in the season and I think it would need other teams above Forest to start losing games were it to happen.'

Hart had himself been dismissed as Reds boss back in December 2004 with Kinnear his replacement and Megson's predecessor.

He is currently available after losing his job as Barnsley boss in March last year and was strongly linked with Notts County before the appointment of Gudjon Thordarson.

But Birtles suspects plenty of problems await whoever assumes control of the troubled club.

'We've all heard the rumours about Gary having lost the dressing room,' said Birtles.

'But we also heard stories about players' ill discipline and lack of fitness when Gary arrived.

'The players certainly have to take their share of responsibility for the situation the club find themselves in.'

15. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think this is a very astute and honest post. Unfortunately our finances are a disaster. I think the only way forward to being a top flight team again is to merge

(ok here comes the backlash, shelts, be ready)

but to merge with County, sell one ground and try and make it as a top flight team again. Otherwise we are stuck in the Sheffield Wednesday mode of doing nothing in a mid sized mid-lands town and going nowhere.

Remember this- no Champions League (European Cup) winner has ever, ok thats EVER fallen to the countries 3rd division. We are in grave danger of dying. We need to change.

if someone has another answer I'm all ears...........

16. msenger

msenger New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have to agree with you mate. I, being a Derby supporter think it would be best. With wages being what they are today I see that as the only way for a fix. I would also venture as far as to adding Leciester to the puzzle. What do you think?
    Cheers!
    Cinci Mike

17. ranny fash

ranny fash Member

May 18, 2005
    notts
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    ^funny. nuke pride park.

18. msenger

msenger New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I cant believe I am even replying to you but surely you can be of more words than that. What are your feelings about a merger? Would it be better for the midlands if there was one or do you feel it would not?

Thanks,
    Cinci Mike

19. Plymouth Red

Plymouth Red New Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Plymouth UK & NG2
    Being a Derby County fan I can see where you are coming from because Forest are now one of the top 10 most financially sound football clubs in all four divisions whereas Derby County are being investigated for financial irregularities! So I bet you would love that merger!

We nearly went under a few seasons ago but only through the astute management of Nigel Doughty we have got ourselves back on an 'even keel'. It hasn't been pretty but I have a team to support.

Derby and Leicester are not and will never be part of a plan for a merger with Nottingham Forest Football Club. It would be like merging DC United with the Scum from NJ :D

However Derby and Burton Albion might be a good bet :eek:

20. msenger

msenger New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, with what transpired yesterday with the new board coming in at Derby, what can you say now?
    :)
    Cinci Mike

21. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    To be honest I was actually thinking of Notts County and Forest. But if Derby are in as bad a predictament as we (Forest) are then they are welcome to the party.

We need to change. We just can't go on stumbling from one line of credit to the next. Either Roman wants to move from Chelsea to Beeston (highly unlikely) or we have to take matters into our own hands.

I can see how die-hard communists feel when they remember the Soviet Union, once proud and on top of the world, now the jokes on us.

22. TLam

TLam New Member

Mar 8, 2006
    whats this? Forest starts dominating and the thread is abandoned?:confused:

23. msenger

msenger New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Fickle Notts F*r*st supporters. What more can be expected?

UP THE RAMS!!

24. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    We've had a dream start guys, an absolute dream start. Frankly I don't give a monkeys if we send out the youth team to the first FA Cup qualifier and lose to like Canvey Island or something. We need to focus on winning promotion, automatic promotion at that. Now I know we' won't be throwing any games and a good run in the cup is healthy (especially at the gate) but we need to move UP.

25. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    can anyone tell me something about the young German Felix Bastians? Is he a regular starter and how do you rate him?