Not the one we wanted: the Nemanja Matić thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jul 31, 2017.

1. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jesus Christ. Is that really the standards for our 6 now?

Is tall, can shield a back four and is...tall.

Did we give up on moving the ball from the low block to the middle block at anything more than a snails pace?

I can hardly wait until teams press us hard in that part of the field.

2. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is poor at shielding the back 4 because he has poor reaction time and average anticipation. We have never bought classic DMs until now, the reason has been simple, easy to bottleneck, does not matter how is infront of them.

3. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't buy this free up pogba argument. For That, we need to get him the ball. Otherwise, he will just drop deeper and deeper to get it.

Who is going to get him the ball? Especially under pressure.

4. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not really a classic 6 though.

He's more box-to-box but he can play a 6 because (breaking news) he's tall. And strong.

I think it will be more of a fluid 3 man midfield.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the disappointment and that you straight don't care for the guy at all, but there's no need to get completely carried away and get loose with what he is or what he can do either: Matic has not been brought in for his long range passing or creativity. His role at his simplest will be to break up opposition play, protect the defense and get the ball back and get it as quickly as he can to either Herrera or Pogba. That's it really.
    I am disappointed as well, as mentioned, given the players that were out there, but especially for someone who clearly backs Jose the way you do, a little trust and faith appears to be warranted. And if he believes that Matic is worth paying Chelsea £40mil and is precisely what he feels is needed, there has to be some reason behind it.
    Personally, I'm willing to see where it goes but as I've said, if we could get the player he was in 14/15, I would be more than satisfied. Let's see how he does, kicks a ball at least before completely writing him off/crucifying him...

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Much better.

7. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Your doing a shitty job of trying to convince people, this isnt all that bad.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is one of those odd deals where I actually think it's a bad move for both clubs.

10. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    I assume Chelsea has someone else lined up already. They just don't have enough bodies for their midfield, especially since Bakayoko is injured.

11. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    While I've been clear that I don't rate Matic, I don't understand this move from Chelsea. They are already terribly understaffed at CM. By my count they have two fit CMs to start the season. They've just directly strengthened a rival, even though not as much as we'd like, Matic still improves our midfield. And it's not like they completely fleeced us. 35 mil for Matic is a little steep but in this market it's not crazy. You'd think they would rather sell him to Juve for 5-8 mil less just to not help us out.

I happen to think Chelsea struggle this season. That 343 formation of theirs was unexpected last year similar to LCs 442 the year before. They now how Europe to contend with and Conte didn't rotate that squad for shit last season. He'll be forced to this year. And finally, if they don't bring in more squad guys, they are screwed. They currently have two CMs and no real backups for their wingbacks who are suspect to begin with.

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    All this hate on Matic. How many midfielders on our books had more assists than him last year? He's notFabinho, he isn't even excellent, but he's a good player. People are talking like he is a Fellaini level signing. My god, get a fcuken grip.

thenamestsam, Sofabloke, Pulp and 2 others repped this.
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    He is not a Fellaini level player in talent but he is going to be yet another average player that will be an impediment to getting back to tier-1.

At what point tally will you consider him a success?

15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Again, he's not a bad player and he will improve us. But given the other options out there, he's as underwhelming a signing as it gets. Still, he's here so I hope he does well.

topnoevili, sdotsom and JC7rox repped this.
  16. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    For me, I genuinely don't think he's a better overall 6 than Herrera. So, what's the point really?

If we're brining in someone new, at least make it a sizeable upgrade.

benni... repped this.
  17. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    not judging by the last two preseasons. not that that was my point anyway.

if Herrera and Pogba are his trusted generals then this is another hurdle for him. unless we bought a £40m bench player or he magically decides to play AP on the wing all of a sudden. you'd imagine most games those 3 would play leaving a few games for the rest.

outside of cup games i'd rather Pereira get some proper league or CL games in his preferred position. even if there are plenty of games to go around.

regardless of which i won't be excited by this signing

18. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How dare you

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No single purchase is responsible for our point total obv, but I think this buy allows us to play the 433 more frequently and allows us to keep Fellaini away from our back four. It means Ander can play as an 8 and Pogba can play as an 8/10. Those two things make me happier about our chance creation and ability to control games on the front foot.

If we end up playing TFM or Tuanzebein midfield, we will be grateful not to have a long term impediment to their progress.

20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ouch, that hurts. He would've made our midfield best in the PL by some ways.

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    That's what happens when you procrastinate and allow rivals to asset strip Monaco. Fabinho should have been a priority and wrapped up months ago. Now we are stuck with shitty back-up Matic. Basically the Fellaini situation all over again.

cr7torossi and Gilma1990 repped this.
  23. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just seems like a very average signing in terms of age and quality. Not a terrible move in and of itself, but in the context of a squad which is sorely lacking in quality and overstocked in average its not a great move. Particularly as there were other options to look at.

Given his age and the general pressures on Jose this year, he will need to perform immediately at his highest level. Neither Matic or Jose can afford a growing pains season.

24. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC