Not the one we wanted: the Nemanja Matić thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, it has to be Frank Rijkaard.

The best one in the game today is Casemiro.

2. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Makelele, Rijkaard, Matthuas, Viera, Keane, Davids, Dunga were all brilliant DM but Rijkaard Matthuas edges them all.

3. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    While I agree that it is generally true that you don't need size to be an effective 6, that requires to some extent that you have a manager willing to tailor the team's style to the abilities of the players. But Mou only knows how to play one way and to play his style, where we cede a lot of the ball and play a pretty low block most of the time I do think you need size from the 6 because you are always providing your opponent many opportunities to just lump the ball into the box if they want to and you need to neutralize that option.

However for a guy whose one real advantage is size I don't even think Matic is particularly good in the air at this point. Consequently we've ended up playing with Fellaini dropping deep to provide physicality and aerial presence in those zones which is exactly the one thing more than anything else that Matic is supposed to bring.

He just isn't very good anymore and he will only be more exposed if we ever switch to a more progressive system where we're pressing more and the 6 is required to both cover more ground and distribute the fall forward quicker when we win it back.

benni... repped this.
  4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Claude Makelele is the goat. Rijkaard wasn't a very very good defensive mid but he was even better box to box because if his technical acumen and his pace and power.

Another thing about Matic. He chooses insane moments to commit. Instead of pressing when opponents near our box (a thing he could do if he were in position) he just joins the back line. Then other moments, miles from danger he dives in late AF gets done and leaves us exposed when he could have chased back or shadowed.

Matic isn't even a useful player. I've played with guys (at the highest levels!!!) who would tear him apart.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I simply don't agree with this at all. Just because he's one of the most versatile midfielders there is, doesn't mean he was not a great defender. On the contrary, Rijkaard was an excellent defensive player and the fact that he could and has played at CB alone proves it (a position he transitioned to effortlessly and very effectively, I might add).
    I'm a huge Makelele fan and he's definitely way up there in the best ever DCM list, but as far as I'm concerned Rijkaard is my #1. And that's ahead of Matthaus, who many have at the top of their list.

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Typo. Wasn't is supposed to be was. He was a very very good DM, I just happen to think he was best used box to box.

7. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Matic says he didn't wear a poppy (despite having done so previously) because Nato bombed his village when he was 12.

Personally, think this misunderstands what we over here generally see the poppy symbol as - which is thanks to those individuals willing to fight and put their lives, limbs and sanity on the line (often in wars we don't think we should be involved in).

It is not a symbol or pride as he puts it, but more a symbol of thanks and remembrance for the individuals who risk themselves for us, certainly is not for the politicians or causes.

Having said that am all for freedom of expression.

However given the Manchester derby is on armistice day centenary, he should play no part in the game on Sunday - as this would only create a furore which would benefit nobody.

Plus tbh should not be playing anyway in his current form, so not a hard decision to take him out the limelight.

benni... and girrdib repped this.
  8. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Free speech and all that, he shouldn't be questioned why he doesn't wear the poppy. Plus back in the day it was a one day thing, is it now a whole month?

9. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm confused as to why the poppy is involved in sport at all. Sure, if the clubs want to organize it on their own accord for commemorative purposes, that's great. It's a nice gesture that should not be forced on players. I'm a bit disconnected from what the symbol may fully represent, but it reeks of British nationalism to me.

Historically the British don't have a great track record with the countries they have occupied. I can't imagine being a player from Kenya or India and being forced to wear one of those.

United 16 repped this.
  10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wear whatever you want Matic. Just wear it on the bench.

johno, benni..., Gilma1990 and 2 others repped this.
  11. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1061994938752061440 is not a valid tweet id

12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The problem isn't just that he's deadwood. The problem is he's deadwood that Jose insists on starting over better, more capable players. That's all on Jose.

The only reason to ever sign 30+ players is if you are close to being a title winning team and they have the ability to improve the starting 11, even if its only for a year or two. Otherwise, they should be cheap and used for depth only.

#ageist

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It appears that some players and staff members inside the club are wondering the same thing, according to The Times. They are claiming that Mourinho's reluctance to drop Matic is a source of consternation with certain elements of the dressing room.
    The report adds that Mourinho's continued of Matic, regardless of form, has surprised players and staff, who feel he is untouchable.

Whether it's true or not (and there's no reason to believe it is not true), the discontent for Matic is reaching nuclear level. He easily has to be the player with the most minutes and games, since last season. The only time he hasn't played was when he was injured at the start of the season.
    Is it any surprise then that his game (just like Lukaku's also) has completely gone down the dumps after a decent start when he first arrived. It wasn't anything Earth shattering, but he was useful enough then. As opposed to now, he's a huge albatross hanging off the neck of our midfield.

16. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    johno and girrdib repped this.
  17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Matic has never been in form throughout his career .. shit player ..

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #193 Ashur, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    That is simply not true: he was one of the best players in the league when Chelsea won the title under Mourinho in 2014-15. He never came close to reproducing that form and fluctuated from the decent to mediocre and now just plain bad.

19. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    He wasnt that good even in title winning for me despite starting 90% of games..over all set of players were excellent though. ..

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, that is not true. That one season, he was in excellent form and him being named to the Prem team of the year that season, is proof of that.
    I get that he is much maligned now, deservedly so by the fans, yet it does not change the facts.

21. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    He had excellent players around him that made him look better .. Im not saying he was poor but he was steady and had Terry Cahill Ivanovic Azpilicueta Courtouis behind him and ball playing MF of fabregas Oscar..

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You did say he was shit/poor throughout.... And I'm simply stating that in 14-15, it was factually not the case.
    The fact remains that he performed excellently that season. Besides, it was argued that his work in the holding role was key and provided the offensive players on that team the platform to do their thing.

23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  24. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
  25. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can we call him Static instead of Matic?