Not the one we wanted: the Nemanja Matić thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jul 31, 2017.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You could blame Herrera all you want for those bad games from Matic, but you cant blame Herrera for the garbage he's been showing us lately. He's had Pogba to hold his hand. He's still doing too much.

That escape dribble? Its ********ing useless against good teams or teams that press. Of course he could walk through Huddersfield [he didnt] or Newcastle's midifeld. Funny thing about the Newcastle game was when they pressed us high, he showed his ass. They scored and dropped off, and he finally was able to distribute the ball again.

2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hopefully Fabinho's price tag has gone down and we can move for him this summer. Actually I'd prefer to let Herrera and Matic split time as the CDM and invest in a proper 8 to partner Pogba ahead of Matic/Herrera.

3. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  4. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    A great reminder by Liam as to how important the "water carrier" role really is. Carrick at his peak was ridiculously underappreciated, although there's no doubt that Keane was fully appreciated and is rightly considered one of the greatest footballers of the last 25 years or so. If one had to build an all 1990-2017 XI Keane just might make the squad. Matic is on his way to making the 17/18 EPL XI, but it remains to be seen whether he can continue playing nearly every minute of prem action. Methinks Nemanja may be run into the ground by April or even March unless he gets more rest.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awaiting confirmation tomorrow from Jose, but there are reports going around suggesting that Matic will miss the game at the Emirates.

6. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
  7. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    When I started to play football, my dream was to play as an attacking midfielder and to score goals," Matic told Inside United.

"When I grew up slowly [motions to being tall with his hand], I started to move back and, when I came to Benfica, the coach Jorge Jesus told me I won’t have the chance to play attacking midfield.

"We had many players better than me in that position, such as Pablo Aimar and Javier Saviola. So it was difficult for me and he said, if I want to play, then the No.6 position in defensive midfield was for me and I can become one of the best in the world.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/8/main/...nd-saviola-made-him-a-40m-holding?share=other

Now we know who to blame for him always over doing it.

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The loss vs Tottenham highlights how overworked Matic has been.

www.espn.co.uk/football/club/manchester-united/360/blog/post/3369337/man-uniteds-loss-to-tottenham-shines-light-on-overworked-nemanja-matic

Been very apparent for some time and hopefully Jose will have finally taken notice. There's no excuses really for not rotating Matic and giving him the more frequent rest he needs.
    If he persists on playing almost very single game, then it should come as no surprise if his level continues to remain mediocre or even drops further..

9. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Personally, I just thinks he's reverted to his normal level.

benni... and SyedZada repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps, even it can be argued that his form this season really has been a microcosm of the past 3 and a half with Chelsea.
    2014/15 - He was superb and a big factor in Chelsea winning the title. A legit shout for PotY, if it weren't for Hazard and Sanchez's incredible form.
    2015/16 - Was bad for him, as was Chelsea as a whole. Simple as.
    2016/17 - Was middle of the road (was not as good as he'd been before, nor was he as bad as he was in the previous season). His role was different as well and he was overshadowed by Kante, who was himself superb, as he was with Leicester the year before.

This season has been up and down but overlooking the fact hat he's been the most used outfield player this season and that it must have a direct impact on his form, is simply not objective. He has shown, as a matter of fact early in the season, that he can be useful to us (just as he showed it at Chelsea).
    I'm all for bringing a younger 6 this summer and have Matic progressively phased out as a squaddie for us, but he's needed this season. Unless Carrick can experience another Indian summer or that Herrera can be the player he was last season.
    Hence the need for Jose to start sparring him more, if there's any hope to see the best (close to it at least) of him the rest of the way (which United will need).

11. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    ******** you

J'can repped this.
  12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    jeff070, United 16, johno and 2 others repped this.
  14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Pereira playing as our 6 had better numbers than Matic in the following categories per 90 minutes...

Tackles, Interceptions, Fouls (less), Blocks, Giveaways (less), Dribbles, and Pass Completion %.

So basically all the things you want a DLP/6 to do well.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that AP has been completely ostracized, especially after how superbly he performed while Matic was away is regrettable. But that's Mourinho in a nutshell unfortunately, and one of the many reasons he needs to be let go.
    Matic however, as one of Mourinho favorites, a player he will pick no matter what and simply being one of the most experienced, has to be one of the first to step up right now.
    For my part, he should not be an automatic selection: wouldn't completely cast him aside (until we get an upgrade at leadt) but he'd be sharing the position with AP 50/50 at a minimum. Matic is needed when we need a genuine defensive presence in midfield. The ret of the time, AP is the far better fit.
    Regardless, he needs to step up for the reasons explained previously.

16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was just posting that because before the season started I argued AP was better in every facet as a 6 over Matic. For whatever reason people seem to think that Matic is this great defensive player when his actual defensive stats aren’t good. That combined with him being a complete zero in the offense and passing categories makes me wonder why people think he’s a better fit for the position than AP, even against bad teams.

If you watch both its clear as day that AP is miles better on the ball and distributing. He moves the ball quicker and his decision making is a good 3-4 seconds quicker than Matics’ which is a lifetime in footballing terms. He is better at clogging up passing lanes and reading the opposition. He tackling and physicality isnt up to par with Matics but if he’s blocking passing lanes correctly that’s not as important. But the biggest thing to take into consideration is that he’s in his early 20s and has only been playing that position for one preseason.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #167 Ashur, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    AP simply is not as good as protecting the back 4 the way Matic can, at this time, especially against better quality teams who would be able to apply more consistent pressure.
    Matic from that point of view, because he's bigger and stronger, is better than Herrera as well. It is what it is. AP and Herrera are better overall footballers. No one is arguing that point, but guys like AP or Herrera against a certain type of oppo are still too lightweight in my opinion in a defensive role for a 6 (on their own at least). Matic (or the Fellaini of late) are better solutions for me at this time when it comes to their defensive role.
    Even more so with the backline not being the most secure or self reliant at the moment. It would be a compltely different matter if we had a 2007-08 type defense.

Edit: That being said, I don't see the need to play Fellaini and Matic in the same midfield the vast majority of the time. Would rather have AP on for one of them as the deepest CMs in a sort of 4-2-2-2 (like we used vs Burnley and Watford) as to have a balance of brawn and finesse/forward thinking play.
    Narrow formation with the width coming from the FBs (namely Shaw and Dalot). Pogba, partnered with Lingard (or even Fred or Mata even) would play further forward right behind the front 2.
    Setup that way, I believe we would make the most of our personnel and be strong going forward, while keeping a strong shape defensively at the same time.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I disagree 1000%. So Matic is better at protecting the back line? Why? Because he's physically bigger? That's a pretty poor argument except for that he's better in the air than AP. By that logic, Fellaini would be a better 6 than Matic.

So how does he protect the back line? By getting dispossessed 4x as much as AP? And most of those time are when he's sitting in front of the back 4 so he's basically starting 4 counterattacks for the opponent each game.

Is it with his lower tackling and interception numbers? Matic may be physically stronger but if he's slower to read the game and too slow to get to the man then it's going to be hard to make a tackle.

Is it with his slow decision making which invites pressure on all his outlets so that when he finally does pass them the ball they have less time to make a decision?

I'm not arguing AP is an excellent 6, although with time I think he could be an excellent DLP. I'm arguing that Matic is awful at almost every facet of the position and this belief that he's a good defensive shield is nonsense...which all the stats backup.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Matic is good at one thing. Being named Nemanja. He's trash at everything else.

girrdib and United 16 repped this.
  20. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is also good at getting selected by Jose. First name on the team sheet, form be damned.

johno repped this.
  21. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    The best defensive midfielders manage to snuff out attacking moves before they even begin. In that sense Nemanja is a fantastic DM. Except it’s supposed to be the other side’s attacking moves.

Once we get a manager who actually likes us having the ball, AP will shine. We suffer more for having Matic regardless of whether his defensive abilities are better or not, because we spend more time being attacked or not threatening to attack ourselves.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As I said, I'm not disagreeing at all that AP is the better footballer overall and in time could even become an excellent DLP. However I simply believe that, with the team as currently constituted, there are times we need a holding mid with more physical presence and better pure defensive capabilities than the likes of AP or even Herrera.
    It has nothing to do with Matic or Fellaini's height, they simply are the more rugged types, with more of a defensive mindset, when required. Which is prevalent especially, as stated with a defense that is not lockdown, watertight at the moment.
    We've clearly seen how the presence of Fellaini for instance in games recently did provide the extra security blanket the defense needed (WH game aside which was a complete debacle on so many points of view). That kind of presence is why I've mentioned the type of formation where AP and Matic/Fellaini should be deployed together, to provide both the creativity, plus forward and quick distribution from deep, in conjunction with more defensive security.
    Matic or Fellaini are not the ideal answers, but until they can be replaced/upgraded (or that the defense becomes more self reliant as it used to be), they definitely have a place in the team from my point of view (in particular when facing top quality teams, especially offensively).

23. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If you are good enough, you are physical enough.

Scholes and Carrick would run rings around most teams they face despite being relatively slow and unathletic.

Johnny Evans bossed everyone when he was a skinny kid in the reserves including the likes of Agbonglahor and City's behemoths.

The best destroyer in the game is Kante who is a munchkin. The best holding midfielder plays next to or behind him and he's not even paper weight material.
    The best DM of all time was barely boy sized. If you are good enough, you are good enough. End of. Furthermore, being big or fast doesn't mean you can use your size or pace. Silvestre was lightening quick and very strong and always out of position. Matic is so slow, so eager to join the CBs that he's useless against half of the stacks we face. Then there's the stacks he creates for the other team.

benni... repped this.
  24. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Out of interest, who is the best DM of all time?

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #175 Ashur, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Size has naught to do with anything. I've mentioned it previously very clearly. One of the very best DCMs ever in the game was a 5'6 guy in Claude Makelele. He was an excellent DLP, yes but more than that, the guy was as physical as they come and had that rugged defensive solidity and mentality as well.
    AP does not possess that (yet at least) and that's where a guy like Matic can prove useful from my point of view. Especially as mentioned, with the defense being nowhere near solid enough.
    With our 2006-2010 backline, Carrick was the perfect 6 for it because those guys did not require any defensive help from midfield. The same argument could be made for AP at this juncture, if we had the same kind of defense. We don't and therefore as limited as they may be, we still need guys like Matic or Fellaini for the time being, having no one else available for that more defensive role.
    That's also another reason I have called for Timmy to be tried and groomed for that position. Always believed his place was always in midfield anyhow and that he can be moulded into a very effective and top 6, one who woud combine good ability on the ball, with a rugged and physical approach.