Not the one we wanted: the Nemanja Matić thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Jul 31, 2017.

1. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Answer the question johno

Given his age, he needs to perform now. This is no Rooney/Ronaldo situation where we are investing for rewards 2-3 years down the line.

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The way I see it, putting forward your frustration and criticism while being linked (or in negotiations) with players is completely fair and expected. However, once a player signs with us...we should get behind him, stop the bickering...and see how he works out in the first few games. If he looks awful after a handful of games (he gets less time than others as he is experienced with the PL and Mourinho), then we can go back to questioning his fit and Mourinho's choices.

4. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    O K .

[emoji21]

5. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    All the fans backing Fellaini and Young turned out great right, a bad player is a bad player no backing will change that.

reddevilmike repped this.
  6. b0sk1

b0sk1 Member+

Jan 28, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you're done with Carrick?

7. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    But no amount of bitching will remove him or the manager from this club.

I ********ing hate it, but he's here now. Nothing we can do. Unless you want to go clip him.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  8. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This sounds like BS to justify the ho hum signing. Of course, various sources all know this as fact when the same sources I am sure were the ones linking the club to Matic from the start. Oh well.

Gilma1990 and benni... repped this.
  9. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    He's not a bad player, though. I'm disappointed given who was out there and that our midfield could have been set for 5+ years, but i agree with Johno that this is not a Fellaini level signing.

Karloski repped this.
  10. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Its not a very encouraging signing either.

Red Jeph repped this.
  11. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least Matic doesn't get in the way of TFMs development. If all goes well Timmy can slot right in once Matic leaves. Ideally we loan out TFM to a lower level prem team to get consistent playing time.

12. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The difference is....Matic has shown a level of competence in his position. As I said, I would have been much happier with him a couple of years ago...but though he isn't an inspiring buy for me...he may still prove that he can help us improve for a couple of years. Fellaini can't even be classed as a footballer..never has been. He's a clumsy brute...who is only good for fumbling the odd goal in through his spaghetti physique.

cachundo repped this.
  13. b0sk1

b0sk1 Member+

Jan 28, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TFM should be learning from Carrick now and slotting in with the team this year.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carrick is already going to be Matic's replacement. How many games will that realistically leave for Timmy as a 6?
    What I would like to see for him is the following: if we don't bring in another RB (Aurier for instance), let Timmy start the season as Valencia's backup. In January when Rojo returns hopefully, that role can go to Tuanzebe, with Timmy going out on loan, with the hopes he gets some regular football somewhere.
    If it were possible, I'd send him on loan from the start of the season, but we need the bodies for now, if nothing changes. But it's important that Timmy be in a position to play, as to continue his development.

15. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest he should have been learning from Carrick last year so he can slot in this year. He was mismanaged last year so we had to sign Matic as a result. He needs constant playing time right now and 2 years on the bench will hinder his development. If he can get a run wth the cup games and a token appearance in the league that may be fine otherwise he should be loaned out.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Reject the premise. Stupid question. This isn't tennis or even basketball, can't predict what the results will be off one acquisition.

I expect us to get between 80-90 pts. I would take that as a reasonable total in our second season with JM. I think that if our finishing is where it should be, we get 85+ points. If it isn't, we struggle to 80.

I wouldn't bet against JM in the FA Cup this year though.

18. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Based on what fact?

Our finishing wasnt where it should have veen last season, and we finished we didnt ecen get 70 points.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We don't have Zlatan slowing down the attack, killing counters AND missing chances.

A quick forward willing to run beyond defenders leading the line opens up opportunities for the best long passer in the league.

An improved defense and better depth across the board is also crucial.

20. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    made my day :ROFLMAO:

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  22. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Only Jose can call Matic a genius.

reddevilmike repped this.
  23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Genius is a little strong for me, but I get where Jose is coming from.

#6s are very rarely appreciated by the uk media, good #6s like Carrick, Biscuits etc. get a lot more respect in countries like Spain where they are coveted. Vital area of the pitch and is a lot harder role in modern football too given the press.

24. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is nothing like Carrick Busquets, that is like calling Cattermole like Keane.

cr7torossi and reddevilmike repped this.
  25. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Jose's managerial career in a nutshell.. absolutely no care for the long term success of a club or actually having to build something.

I think he'll be OK for you guys. His inconsistency was very frustrating but your midfield will be a decent bit better imo.