Alert: Not so liquid...the Arsenal tactics thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by thebigman, Sep 28, 2011.

1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wilshere needs to play deeper and learn the role though because he can't score or really operate high up the pitch imo

2. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not sure what Wilshere needs, but I agree that he is a better player when he is operating from deep. I think he lets himself feel pressured to pull of something amazing in the final third and ends up giving it away or fouling.

3. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's not like Ozil or Santi since whilst he can pass well, he likes to beat people and shoot. Ozil and Santi are players who can pass and pick apart a defence in doing so. It's just that people label Jack a playmaker, when he's not. I think in our system, we need two strong box to box players anyhow, since they support moves, win back the ball, and contribute to scoring goals.

4. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Two strong box-to-box mids gets your defense shredded. Barca have Biscuits. Bayern have Piggy, Javi, and now Lahm being deployed as a DM. Dortmund have Bender. United deploy Carrick. Basically all of the top clubs utilize it - there can be variations in how you utilize them; i.e. Javi is much more of a destoyer (though an all around skilled player) than Carrick is for instance. But you need a player to cover the back four, and having both pivots in our system be runners is a recipe for defensive collapse.

5. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Uh, that's (#10, high on the pitch) where Woy has him positioned for Enger-lund. Unfortunately.

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He plays deeper as England use a middle 3 and gerrard gets forward too. He is not a proper number ten. Most England fans prefer barkley atm and now sturridge is back rooney will probably play behind sturridge.....but who knows with woy? No doubt he starts Lambert, Young and Milner

I wod rather see

...............sturridge
    Rooney......barkley......townsend
    ..............carrick...gerrard

7. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it doesn't matter that much once the game starts, but what formation is Arsenal playing at the moment? To me it looks like when both Arteta and Flamini play they are in a 4-2-3-1 but when only one of them is out there, like yesterday, it looks like an attacking 4-5-1.

8. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It is a 4-2-3-1, we play double pivots; Ramsey tends to get forward more than Arteta/Flamini though so when he is one of the pivots you may not notice as much the two deeper players.

9. lamb

lamb Member+

Sep 3, 2004
    Larne, N.Ireland
    the formation completely changes during the game.
    during attacking build ups you could easily say we play a 2-2-3-3 a lot, with 1 fb pushing to wide midfield, 1 cm pushing alongside the middle of the 3 (in 4231), joined by the other fb, and the wide am's supporting the striker.
    in regards to ramsey, i have a feeling he has been given a fairly free role between supporting flamini/arteta and supporting ozil, as need appears.

10. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mesut alluded to the "freedom" to change formation and positions during the game in an interview this week (recommended by Arsene as he said). Between him, Santi, Jack, Aaron or Tomas, they pop up at different positions / roles during the game and it must a tactical nightmare for an opposite coach to adjust and adapt to that.

At some point yesterday, Santi was playing the double pivot next to the Flamster while Ramsey was marauding in the Hull box. The current crop of players, particularly the midfielders have the technical ability and the intelligence to adjust and adapt during the games. It is really fun to watch, particularly when one is watching the replays or better yet while viewing the game a second time w/out any pressure.

11. mwojt21

mwojt21 Member

May 22, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    charlie15 and blueguitar322 repped this.
  12. blueguitar322

blueguitar322 Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    mwojt21 repped this.
  13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A high pressure narrow 4231 with cms and fullbacks pushing really high and cbs on halfway line in possession

Cms help provide width with cazorla or Rosicky also dropping deep when needed and giroud

We pressure the corners and sides if the pitch in 3s usually

14. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's both a blog and not a blog at the same time.

yossarian repped this.
  15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    More evidence that Arsenal are no flash in the pan.

The underlying data supports the idea that Arsenal are one of the strongest teams in the league and perhaps better defensively than offensively.

Defensively Arsenal have been superb; at least in terms of where the shots are struck from. The paltry 27% of shots they allow from Prime locations is comfortably the lowest in the league and explains why the average chance that Arsenal gives up has the lowest probability of being scored in the league.
    Their concession of just 61 shots from Prime locations is almost a shot per game better than any of the other teams in the Premier League – Liverpool fare next best on this measure with 77 shots allowed.

Arsenal’s ratio of Prime Shots for compared to conceded is greater than 2 (123:61) and is an elite number.

Defensively Arsenal are sound, and they certainly have a platform from which they could build a title winning charge.
    I expect Arsenal's shooting volume will increase with Theo & Poldi back.

I think the article misses that it is Theo that is Arsenal's key goal scorer - not Giroud

http://www.statsbomb.com/wp-content...474xArsenal21.png.pagespeed.ic.gOebb10ycW.png

thebigman repped this.
  16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, if anything we look for that diagonal run more than giroud with the diagonal ball a la cardiff

............giroud.......walcott

........caz............ozil

17. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ramsey more or less does what Song did, as does Jack. I wouldn't even say we play with a classic anchor man, since Arteta is more of a link player than an enforcer. The classic example IMO of an anchor man in Premier League history is David Batty and he played LONG ago now.

18. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I feel the idea of an "tackler" man is somewhat dated. The ball and players move so quickly now a "tackler" is going to win possession less often than a player who simply slowes down the opposition's attack. One of the defensive traits I love about Arteta is that he gets in the way of the best pass more often than not. Forcing the opposition wide or back letting the good guys get back into formation. Watch our game against Man City again if you have time, Fernandhino did an excelent job of redirect our attacks. Which is what I hated about Song he always gave up the best pass because his positioning was so poor.

That isn't to say that MF shouldn't be able to tackle, its as important a skill as any other.

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bringing this back up

818836228644605954 is not a valid tweet id

20. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yuuuuuuup.

DutchCane repped this.
  21. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you're going to comment on Arsenal's tactical flaws, wouldn't you want to pick a game where Arsenal didn't start 20 and 21 year old CBs and Elneny?

DutchCane repped this.
  22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    thats fair, but we have seen it often this season regardless who is back there.

There are big spaces in between the lines and teams exploit it with ease.

daedalus, thebigman and DutchCane repped this.
  23. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    @mebeSajid @DaPrince84 that guy if it's the same guy on Twitter, posts those cutouts/screencaps about Arsenal all the time it's a pretty common issue. I'm not sure if there's a personnel issue or not to be fair.

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When was the last time we defended at a high level consistently? Maybe when he inherited that old school back four??

The team cannot press and has no defensive identity

I have been saying this for years

Amateur level stuff from a delluded old clown at the helm

I teally fcuking hope he doesnt sign da ting

25. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's possible that's true, but most of the analysis I've seen this season has been based on the Liverpool game, and that's a bad example.

DutchCane repped this.