News: Not So Fast, Miami Overtown Site? Yet Another Stadium Delay?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by flippin269, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely and demonstrably false, whether you like his curmudgeonly attitude or not.

2. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Well he needs to cut the useless one liners out while asking others to provide proof. he is a grade A jackass, and from what I have read in another thread ruining America ;)

3. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sigh. Relax, Francis. Andy has been called out numerous - dozens - maybe hundreds of times. You're the one that's throwing the tantrum.

EDIT: and no one is "revered" around here, least of all Andy. Except maybe Ismitje. All hail Ismitje.

And if you think Andy's style is rough, just count yourself lucky that you've never been on the receiving end of a Mr. Warmth rant.

deejay, GHjelm, El Naranja and 8 others repped this.
  4. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Alright...he has added nothing to this thread but conjecture and insults.

5. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I have in another life.
    He's the roof guy.

6. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my greatest privileges was to meet Mr. Ismitje and his family at a DCU game when he was in town for some reason or another. All hail Ismitje, indeed!

Ismitje and Sachsen repped this.
  7. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    you are far from the truth. He is an old timer, has a lot of experience on near the business side of soccer in America for a lot of years and he do add a lot of insight in a lot of threads. I have not followed this thread closely enough to say anything about his posts, but i say the former from my experience reading him in other places.

I'm not saying he can't be wrong, but to say that he adds nothing is blatantly false.

JasonMa repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Salt Lake/Coug fan?
    [​IMG]
    :D

9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now hit The King's music!

Len repped this.
  10. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Anyways, we gotta get this thread movin down the higway.

Movin down the highway
    movin ahead so life don't

pass us by.

RafaLarios and JasonMa repped this.
  11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's super easy. Just get in your car and drive 15 miles west on I-70.

12. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Wow! You're quick. I deleted it almost as soon as I posted it. Per your request:

Bluecat82, jayd8888 and flippin269 repped this.
  13. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.
    I don't see how the stadium in Seattle could be any more in downtown.It's as downtown as any stadium I've ever seen anywhere.

Vancouver is also downtown, in answer to the ? in the list above.

JasonMa repped this.
  14. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh?

It's less than two blocks from Century Link Field to Smith Tower, Seattle's most historic high rise.
    [​IMG]

Justin O and JasonMa repped this.
  15. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Considering D.C. has the height restriction on buildings (width of street plus 20 feet) it wont ever have high rises unless the law changes.
    Before I'm asked here's a link and I know its Wikipedia
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height_of_Buildings_Act_of_1910?wprov=sfla1

I am sure most people know of this but some may not. Most people however think the height restriction is based off the height of the capital or Washington monument.

The Franchise repped this.
  16. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Unsure if srs.

Like, is traffic a disaster? Is there any way other than driving?

I am unfamiliar with KC.

17. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I don't know that the location of Bridgeview is in the top 5 reasons for the Bridgeview Hauptmans' underperformance over the past decade, so much as the existence of the turd named Hauptman.

That aside, when proposed, Daley wasn't giving anything to help Wilt get a venue in the city; as I recall, it was either going to be Bridgeview or Hoffman Estates.

While it sucks to have to drive an hour one way to get to Bridgeview, it sucks MORE to see a shitty product when you arrive. At the same time, NO city is bulldozing prime real estate for a stadium, so these things tend to be built on the baddest side of town. Id expect no less for the Miami Beckhams.

18. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #193 harrylee773, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    I know that I’ve been a fan since day one and have no problem watching crappy soccer, but have a problem with a two hour one way transit commute. In a city with so many careless residents and so many other entertainment options, it’s an issue and will be an issue regardless who the owner is- of course, attendance would be better if we had a team full of Ronaldo’s dominating, or even a competitive team, but convenience is king and that stadium is inconvenient to many more people than it’s convenient to.

The fact that it was Bridgeview or Hoffman Estates (I recall the team flirting with Arlington Heights and the south side at some point) isn’t going to make a casual fan want to go to Bridgeview any more than they already don’t. Hopefully Miami isn’t as hamstrung by their location as we have been- not sure how big of a car culture there is down there but it never hurts to be transit accisble. I doubt Miami is as transit-dependent as Chicago, so there’s probably more room for error in that regard for them, but either way the league is better off in locations that make sense for the individual markets, so hopefully they get it right. When it comes to why you’re not getting fans to go to your stadium, I don’t see how the location isn’t one of the top five reasons, but obvious MLS and Miami think it’s important so they have that in their favor.

19. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's "revered" because he's been here forever and has a lot of first hand knowledge and experience about the sport in this country.

You've been here for a few months (as far as I know) and you have a chip on your shoulder. As someone who does typically enjoy your posts allow me to just ask you to lighten the F up.

SierraSpartan and JasonMa repped this.
  20. Ryan Springer

Ryan Springer New Member

Tampa Bay Rowdies
    United States
    Aug 15, 2017
    Meanwhile the Rowdies didn't come up with minimum capacity of 20k (18.2k) and that was dismissal reason. I feel the Beckham's group is just announced to crush Miami FC ran by Silva. I think the Orlando City SC staff is the worst and I would never support that club.

21. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    KC is VERY car friendly.

Fighting Illini repped this.
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As is free stadium parking. :)

Fighting Illini and PTFC in KCMO repped this.
  23. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Shit. I just park in the Target lot and walk a couple blocks.

I get out a lot faster.

24. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While the capacity may not have helped I don't think that was as nearly as big a reason to dismiss the bid as the fact that Bill Edwards isn't a billionaire and wasn't able to get more investors in on it.

25. zhe fulano

zhe fulano Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 31, 2010
    Florida Keys, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The proposed Miami Overtown location is a mess. It is a dangerous neighborhood. There is essentially no parking. Traffic congestion is a nightmare.
    If that location is going to work, there has to be some serious infrastructure improvement - probably of the "urban removal" type. It is hard to blame residents for being opposed to that. To top it off, the locals have no stomach for helping out after getting raped in the Marlins' stadium deal. I applaud Beckham's effort, but I think he's going to have a hell of a time closing the deal with all of these negatives hanging around.

On the other hand,the current proposed location would probably make for an ideal annual Halloween crack house tour!

Sal Paradise repped this.