Norway OLY News & Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Group G' started by Bonnie Lass, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    After much screaming, cursing and kicking myself, yes, I got my drage shirt.

They won't follow that template. I was afraid they might for the Drage shirt, but they didn't. I think that's a template unique all to England. He he. And you look at Sweden's and their shirts are different as well.

Given the outcry, I figure the last thing they'll do is slap together something half assed. So, they'll take their time and make sure it's something good. I wouldn't be surprised if the dragon is still around, just maybe in a different location and/or form.

2. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Solveig Gulbrandsen's son, Theodor, is in China with the women's team until Sunday, when he leaves with his dad, Espen, to go back home to Norway.

According to the article, he's been a souce of inspiration and happiness for the team, and the Chinese people are once again enamored with him. =-) He's also learning all the players names and Berntsen says the team misses him when he's not around.

http://www.vg.no/sport/ol/2008/artikkel.php?artid=198871

Photos from the article:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    And Lene Mykjåland seems to have a cold and did not train today with the team, but hopes to be better in time for the New Zealand match.

4. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Norway - New Zealand, 1-0.

Goal from Wiik off a header in the 8th minute.

5. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Various articles:

-- Kan kopiere Sydney-triumfen (Can copy Sydney triumph)

-- Gråtkvalt Herlovsen (Sobbing/crying Herlovsen)

Despite the win, Isabel Herlovsen was so upset by her performance against New Zealand, she had to be consoled by her teammates and training staff after the match.

[​IMG]

Side note: Isa's father, Kai Erik Herlovsen, was also an Olympian, having played on Norway's football team for the 1984 Olympics. So, I'm sure she's putting herself under a tremendous amount of pressure to do well. Unfortunately.

6. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    [​IMG]

Yeah, apparently, the dragon shirt and this shirt are exactly same, but they just put on the flag patch on the chest instead of the dragon. Which is borderline retarded, if only because the Norwegian flag is still on the back of the neck. (And I now wonder if the NFF didn't abandon the plan to redesign their shield completely, or they just went ahead and sent this one out for the sake of getting out a new shirt.)

7. woman_soccer

woman_soccer New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    This link is empty :/

8. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Here's a version just a big bigger than the one you posted elsewhere, redcard.

9. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Wow. They must have took it down because it was definitely up last night. I went through the women's football page at Aftenposten and I didn't see it anymore. :confused:

Speaking of, here's a full page with LOTS of articles about the Norwegian women in Beijing.

http://fotball.aftenposten.no/ol/kvinner/

10. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Mykjåland starts, Wiik doesn't. Is he sensible enough to be resting players??

11. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  12. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    That's bad.
    From almost playing Canada to facing Brazil in one half.
    Hopefully a wakeup call for Norway. I still believe they can beat Brazil on a good day, probably with Wiik from the start.

13. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Yeah, I was confused about BB not starting Wiik. Considering how early she scored in both matches. I also hope BB considers Herlovsen as a sub in the next match. She came off the bench to score Norway's only goal against China in the WWC. I think she could repeat that again.

But while attacking was a problem here, our defense was the real problem.

14. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    You're right, the defense looked really lost and Stensland probably thought so, too
    [​IMG]

but I'm already mad that I can't watch the Brazil-Norway live, I believe in an upset

Picture from nrk.no

15. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they're still not wearing these, even with the flag instead of the federation patch, at the Olympics. Mystifying...

16. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nah. I suspect they didn't have time. That's the only one I've found online for sale, not even the Oslo shop I usually order from have them listed.

17. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I'm assuming they'll show this one here in the U.S. But then again, I could be mistaken. They only have three matches being listed as being broadcast on TV. So, that leaves one they won't.

18. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  19. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor redcard...

[​IMG]

20. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    Unfortunately it will also be shown here, only I will be working while it's on.
    Well, good to have work ;)

21. amerinorsk59

amerinorsk59 Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Chicago area
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    ok........:eek:...........when I (never wishing them to lose) think Norway may lose, they win! Maybe good going into the Brazil game. When I expect them to win, they often lose! I don't know if my middle aged ticker can handle watching the Brazil game - either Norway will win comfortably or they will lose big! They did lose 5-0 in the 1999 WWC semis to China. Knock on Wood! Even then they could be inconsistent! Note that Horpestad was running up so far (as though she was a striker :eek:) in the Japan game - she helped create the Norway goal in fact which turned out good - BUT - the problem is this opens up the counter attack for quick teams like Japan and Brazil. If Norway can keep the defenders back and organized, like in the USA game, they should be alright...I hope... maybe......oh, S#$%, I don't know anymore! It used to be the same when watching Evonne Goolagong play tennis - the most beautiful and talented tennis player ever (for me) but her inconsistency drove me to the brink! Sorry for going off on a tangent (beautiful one)!

22. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Unlike some other teams, it seems Norway took all their reserves to China with them. They trained and worked out with the team, but sat in the stands during the actual matches.

Kristin Lie, Trondheim-Ørn player, interview:
    http://www.adressa.no/sport/ol/article1129715.ece

Marie Knutsen has been examined and she did break her nose, but there were no other injuries. They have made a special mask for her to wear and will be trying it out the next few days.

http://fotball.adressa.no/ol/article115547.ece

[​IMG]

23. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Hi, my name's Bonnie. Have we met before?

:D :eek:

Can they pull off another upset? Maybe. Maybe's always an option. But I'm more worried with how they came off such a hard loss to Japan. They have the skills, they have the talent, but I don't think they have the mental toughness needed to defeat Brazil after coming off such a horrible loss.

So, I think we're good and ********ed. And that may be too pessimistic of an outlook, but ... Y'know?

24. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    There seem to be a surprising amount of changes in the team. Thorsnes is starting up front, as is Wiik. Gulbrandsen moves back to midfield.

Marie Knutsen will be playing with a mask, and Marita Skammelsrud Lund will be on instead of Trine Rönning.

25. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais