NorthJersey.com: Mathis on a Mission to Redeem Himself

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dark knight, Oct 8, 2002.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?level_3_id=137&page=5234643

2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Encouraging words from Mathis. If he means even some of it, that's very good news.

3. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    This is good news. Hope to see Clint working hard this off season and tearing it up for the US.

4. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Clint's candor.

Nice to see BA's faith in him, too.

5. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    No, this cannot be right. Bruce hates Clint.

I really hope this puts an end to the endless threads of Arena v Mathis. When, not if, Clint gets himself back into top form, he will be a key player for the MNT over the next 4 years.

6. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    Do you think Clint would actually air any breivances w. Arena when he's still coach. Im not trying to rehash the argument but I don't really think the whole truth of what went on will be out until Arena isn't the coach or Clint isn't getting called up any more.

But it is good to see Clint's working and has a good attitude.

7. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    no I would choose to like at the bright side and assume that BA really gave him a positive word of encouragement. I think the coach fully knows his potential ... nobody wants to see Clintinho fail.

8. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Why not? He's said he's ironed out his differences with his club coach and GM. Why would Arena be any different?

9. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    For Clint, unlike other players of lesser talent, all it takes is dedication to excellence, and everything fabulous will fall into place.

Meanwhile, a national team coach would be a fool to diss a player, four years before a world cup, who could be an incredible difference maker in 2006 -- if or when he dedicates himself to excellence.

Of course, Bruce Arena, despite some folks who believe the contrary, is no fool.

10. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    That ironing out w. the club coach probably never happened since OZ got fired. GM, on the other hand, I guess Clint received an apology from. As for Clint and Bruce, do you really think Bruce wouldn't try to bury the hatchet w. Clint, especially when he knows what Clint's capable of. It was interesting to see Clint say he was 100% fit at the WC in contrast to what Bruce had to say.

11. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    It is great.

I will watch the Nov. 17 game with a 4-4-2 as

Mathis Twellman

Beasley Donovan Matronei Buddle

Barret Bocanegra Suarez Klein

Howard

12. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about the rest but the duo of (a hardworking) Mathis and Twellman sounds sweet.

13. LoveFifa

LoveFifa New Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Detroit, Michigan
    With Donovan (even though I can't stand the whiney diver) behind them. Whew! That is one formidable attack.

14. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    It's completely up to Clint. I think everyone here knows that he could start in 2006 and be a star, but, with better options presenting thmselves all of the time, he could be sitting at home. Hopefully, this shows that he understands that he needs to work to earn his keep. Good to see.

15. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

i don't know if this would happen or not, but i gotta say this would be an exciting line-up to say the least... barret and suarez are a bit questionable in my book... what about pope and califf?

16. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i also think that his agent did a great job of redirecting a lot of that criticism that had been out there... it needed to be done and was done very well, i'm not about to say clint won't be working his butt off, but i will say there was some coaching for that interview

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    good for Clint- now get to work!

18. metroquakesfan

metroquakesfan New Member

Sep 29, 2002
    New York
    What about Cobi Jones? he is great in the playoff matches, he shows us what a great talent he is.

19. metroquakesfan

Sep 29, 2002
    New York

I am sure his agent had a lot to do with coaching him for the interviews, etc....

This is exactly what Bruce had said recently - Clint needs to surround himself with people who gives him the right direction - glad to see it is working.

20. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    what's the point in calling him up if he won't be involved in qualifying and the next world cup?

21. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    someone needs to talk to LD then, he just comes off as a whiny lil' brat

22. metroquakesfan

Sep 29, 2002
    New York
    He looked so young and plays with such a energy, and skill, I forgot about how young he will be in 2006.

23. Viva Cobi!

Viva Cobi! New Member

Oct 27, 2001
    Marina Del Rey, CA
    Cobi deserves to be called up for his recent play for the LA Galaxy. Unlike most of those that will be called up he will actually be playing competitive soccer up until 10/27. If you haven't seen him play lately you've missed some dominating play. Before you run to the fridge to get your haterade, look up the stats since the World Cup. You can't deny Mr. Jones!

24. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention the probability of DMB and Buddle on the flanks, as forecast.

I know Bruce is going to tinker with his lineup in this game, but my goodness.... that kind of speed on the flanks, and the dribbling abilities of both of those players.

The kind of stuff that gives opposing defenders nightmares, really. :eek:

Cheers,
    William

25. BackOtheNet!

BackOtheNet! New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    So Cal
    If Mathis trained half as hard as Mcbride he would still be mentioned with the same breath as god here at the BS headquarters. But he doesn't. That doesn't mean he can't turn it around.