Norn Ireland!!!

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by colonialvet, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    North Ireland is doing then Luxembourg in the group and hopefully finish ahead of Azerbaijan. I was wondering if the North Ireland team is mostly non-sectarian that means is it still mostly a Protestant/Orange team and their supporters drawn from the Protestant community or is it accepted by Catholics and have support of Catholics. How is the relations with the ROI and are Catholic players still feel the need to play for ROI instead of their native North Ireland...

2. Setanta

Setanta New Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Belfast
    With no offence meant, the team is "Northern Ireland" and not "North Ireland" or "North of Ireland".

It has always been a non-sectarian team, though the fanbase has had its extremists and sectarianism. It doesn't help that some Roman Catholics support the Republic of Ireland instead of their own country, for religious/political reasons - it creates a vacuum in Northern Ireland's support base, which is sad.

A good many Roman Catholics in Northern Ireland do support the team though.

3. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks for the info. I remember hearing some fans who come from Northern Ireland and they said they hate the Northern Ireland team, cringe when they hear the "wee country" line and only root for the ROI and the tricolor hence why I asked the question about sectarianism.

We are not Brazil we are Northern Ireland is a GREAT song btw love it.

4. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  5. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Northern Ireland will play EURO Qualify game vs Finland this weekend….

currently NI at the second position at the table . Finland stay at the 4.position… its a big game for both team no doubt.

Romania currently at the top of the table in the group.