Nordby quits Norway NT

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Bauser, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    --------------------------------------------------
    Translated article: "Nordby sa takk for seg i dag" from toppserien.com
    --------------------------------------------------

NORDBY SAID GOOD BYE TODAY

by Wegard Bakkehaug

National team goalkeeper Bente Nordby gave coach Åge Steen the message that she is unavailable for further games for Norway.

Nordby has won more or less everything for the Norwegian NT and hasn't got the motivation to continue playing for Norway.

- This is something I have thought about for a long time. For years I have been thinking about quitting, but recently the will has grown stronger, says Bente Nordby to Toppserien.com

The national team takes quite a lot of time and it will be nice to avoid all the travelling.

- I have won the things I wanted to win with Norway. It feels good to have gone public with this, says Nordby who mentions that she will miss the friends in the NT squad.

Nordby will continue playing for Kolbotn. There is no shortage of ambitions and motivation for further success there.

- I want to win more with Kolbotn. I'm gonna mobilize fully for that. It will be good to have time to do other things now, says Nordby to Toppserien.com.

The former Athene Moss goalkeeper is not very keen on a possible comeback in the future.

- No, as of today I don't want to, says Nordby.

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    So who are Nordby's replacements on the NT?

3. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Well this is a really sad day for fans of Bente Nordby and fans of the Norwegian National Team. :( A little over a year ago I thought that I was going to have a chance to watch my all-time favorite goalkeeper play for the Spirit during the 2002 season. Then out of the blue on November 13th, I got an e-mail from a Norwegian friend informing me that he had read in one of the Oslo papers that Bente would not be returning to play for the Spirit. I was stunned then and I am deeply disappointed now almost exactly one year later since I may never get another chance to watch Bente play for Norway again.
    It is important to remember that Bente played for the Norwegian National Team for over 10 years and is fourth all-time for Norway in caps behind only Hege Riise, Linda Medalen, and Heidi Støre. She was the starting goalkeeper for the Norwegian team that won both the 1995 WWC and the gold medal at the 2000 Olympics.
    Well there is at least the good news that Bente will back next season to help Kolbotn in their quest of becoming the first Norwegian club team to win the "treble."

4. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Astrid Johannessen and Ingeborg Hovland most likely.

5. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    saw her play in toronto this summer...liked her game! and she was pretty nice too!

elaine

6. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Norwegian Goalkeepers

There was an article posted today at "toppserien.com" that mentioned the names of goalkeepers Ingrid Hjelmseth and Silje Vesterbekkmo as two other possible challengers for a spot on the Norwegian National Team. Perhaps Bauser can correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that Silje Vesterbekkmo was going to be the starting goalkeeper for Kolbotn this season before Nordby became available after having been released by the Spirit. Hjelmseth is a 22 year old keeper who played this past season for Trondheims-Ørn, while Ingeborg Hovland is 23 years old and played for Klepp.

7. donzerly

donzerly New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Toronto
    Actually, she didn't play in the Canada-Norway game. Hovland did. Did you see Johannessen play somewhere else?

8. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    no johannessen played that game vs. canada this past summer...the lineups for the game was:
    so i saw her then. i also caught some norge practice during the days leading up the camp, and she looked really good in a few of the drills too.

elaine

9. MichelobLightSoccer

MichelobLightSoccer New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    DAMN! :(
    I never got to see her play anywhere live....

10. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Kolbotn's 2003 May Schedule

Unfortunately most of this thread was wiped out when BigSoccer "restored the boards" three weeks ago. For the benefit of MichelobLightSoccer and anyone else who wants to see Bente play in Norway during the month of May 2003, here is the schedule for Bente's club team Kolbotn:

May 1st

Kolbotn at Trondheims-Ørn

May 4th

Asker at Kolbotn

May 24th

Kolbotn at Team Strømmen

May 31st

Arna-Bjørnar at Kolbotn

11. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Godt Nyttår redcard816!

Here's the link to a "toppserien.com" article that has a very nice picture of Bente with her puppy Diaz:

Kolbotn endret minst

12. MichelobLightSoccer

MichelobLightSoccer New Member

Jan 24, 2002
    sweet! :)