[non-soccer] Need a good translation website

Discussion in 'Poland' started by quarterUltra, Sep 14, 2002.

1. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    English > Polska slang

I would flip through a book that I have -- and could very well get me in trouble one day -- but it's still in storage in Chicago. :(

Basically, what I'm looking for right now is what a Polish girl might call a woman -- along the lines of "whore". I know there are variations among the countryside, but let's stick to the Warsaw area. On the other hand, if there is something more obscure from another area that isn't used as often but is considered very vulgar I will consider that also.

This is for a book. I have not decided where the girl is from in Poland, but she has been living in Chicago for the past 6 months and recently moved to NYC. She is 19 in 1998, if time is an issue -- as slang does change form year to year . . .

If you do not wish to post the words here and fear the rath of the the mods, please email me offlist at hori_too@yahoo.com. This is better actually since then you can email the proper letter spelling. Or at least be able to tell me where the little marks go on the letters if necessary.

Please be honest. This word will not be translated in writing but one other character in the scene will know what it means and the girl will be slapped for her utterance.

Thanks. Dzienkuje.

Kirsten

2. tredowski

tredowski New Member

Dec 2, 2001
    "whore" in Polish is "kurwa".

but the problem is that "kurwa" is used all the time in Poland even when not actually talking about a whore because its used as a regular vulgar word whenever someone is mad. It is probably the most popular one. It is like the Polish equivalent of the English word "f---k".

So if that character in your book or whatever is calling some woman a whore, she would probably have to say "ty brudna kurwa" (you dirty whore) in order to make it more clear that she is actually calling that woman a whore instead of just exclaiming a typical insult.

3. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dzienkuje.

I'll plug that in for now.

Kirsten

4. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    another way to go would be to say 'dupa' it means 'ass' and is generally used to refer to a loose woman (does not have to be a whore)

its a lot less ofensive then 'kurwa'

5. quarterUltra

quarterUltra Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Stillwater, OK
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dzienkuje, Marek.
    I will file that one away for future use. :)

Kirsten

6. DCsub5for16

DCsub5for16 New Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Brooklyn, N.Y.
    Try this

Start here, and have a ball! I used this when we played against Poland in the World Cup, and while it wasn't perfect, how many ways can you say "you guys got your a**es kicked, 3-1."? Best of luck.

http://www.langenberg.com/

7. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+