Noah Leeds in Spain

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 16, 2014.

1. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    It seems that he did not make the squad for Extremadura UD Juvenil A as they lost their first match of the season to Rayo Vallecano 2-3.

2. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    He has deleted everything on his Twitter page related to UD Extremadura. His bio now says that he is with "Ceuta Division de Honor." I'm guessing that this club is probably AD Ceuta. Their first team is in the Tercera Division, but I couldn't quickly find much current information about their youth squads. I guess we can take his word for it that their Juvenil squad is in the Division de Honor.

Also, Ceuta is about as close to Morocco as you can get. It's just off the Moroccan coast. Along with nearby UD Melilla, these two clubs have been called "the Spanish clubs from Africa." The linked article is an interesting read, just like this thread...

3. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff. Yeah, Ceuta in the news a lot these days as desperate migrants from sub-Saharan African try to scale the meters-high fencing and walling that surrounds this citadel of Spanish territory. Interesting location to continue his stellar career..

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  4. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    Leeds is with the the Juvenil (U19) club of Gimnastica de Ceuta, if that's different from AD Ceuta. AD Ceuta's first team is in the third divison, while Gimnastica de Ceuta may be just a youth club - not sure. Maybe they could be affiliated?

Anyway, Gimnastica de Ceuta sits 13th in the Division de Honor Grupo 4. This is the highest level of youth soccer in Spain for what it's worth. Also in Grupo 4 are some giants like Sevilla and minnows like C.F. Rusadir, so there's probably a big difference across the league.

Standings here: https://www.lapreferente.com/index.php?comp=9145

@bungadiri @TheFalseNine Noah Leeds in Spain? Noah Leeds at Gimnástica de Ceuta?

(Dad says AD Ceuta, standings and badge on the uniforms say Gimnastica de Ceuta :cautious:)

Lastly, he has a 15 year old brother who also plays. It is unclear where, though.

Eighteen Alpha and Winoman repped this.
  5. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    Found this article which indicates that he played against Sevilla in a 1-0 loss on Oct 1.

Mentioned as "Noah" twice in the article (once in the game recap, once in the lineups). Here's a Google Translate of that mention:

But the visitors were going to continue demonstrating that they had not come for a walk to the Sports City and Noah in a magnificent double chance, was about to beat an Alfonso who became big and cut both occasions.

Good to see that he's at least playing and getting a cool opportunity abroad.

wixson7, Eighteen Alpha and Winoman repped this.
  6. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @UniversalAdvice, thanks for the heads up! I think for now we’ll just go with “Noah Leeds in Spain” until we can get some more definitive info.

7. petsnyc

petsnyc Member

Jul 18, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    This guys dad reminds me of my dad mailing VHS tapes to colleges of my high school soccer highlights.

PhillyFury and Winoman repped this.
  9. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Can someone point me to the discussion of why he hasn’t been given a chance yet. Credentials (video, club, eligibility and desire) seem present.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I don't think anyone here has an open window into U.S. Soccer's decision-making on YNT callups, though if they do I'd certainly love to read it.

TheFalseNine and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  11. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Yeah sorry should have said “point me to where BS posters wildly speculate” about why?

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, I don't have much of that to offer, but here's what I will say -- and maybe @petsnyc can fill in some blanks for us...

A typical situation like this, for a non-YNT player moving abroad, would probably be that the player/his family/representative would reach out to U.S. Soccer and share some information about the player, his background, his interest, etc. They might also send some media along.

At some point U.S. Soccer might then request more info, "make some calls," send a scout, etc. A callup would theoreticaly follow. (There are other ways this might happen, certainly.)

In any case it might be nice to know how much, if any, of this has already happened.

13. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
    Winoman and Gacm32 repped this.
  14. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The kid looks composed and good on the ball in that video. Didn't see many passes, though.

15. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any news? Need my Noah fix.

16. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    What kind of Ark is Noah on in his expected player growth?

Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  17. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    He seems to have recently joined the first team of AD San Jose, which plays at ... some level in Spain.

Noah, nuevo refuerzo cañamero

http://adsanjose.es/

19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I bet he is the youngest American ever to play on that team.

UniversalAdvice and Thundering165 repped this.
  20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Divisíon de Honor Andaluza. Just below third division so fifth tier

21. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Maybe Noah will have a game with 2 goals by 2 assists.

22. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
  23. UniversalAdvice

Apr 18, 2018
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    UniversalAdvice and Winoman repped this.
  25. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    Recreativo plays in Segunda B, but it is a historically strong team from Andalucia. Spent three straight seasons in La Liga not too long ago (around 2005 maybe?).

UniversalAdvice, BostonRed and Winoman repped this.