[No-R] Setanta technical problems CL Nov. 22-23

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by danielmak, Nov 20, 2006.

1. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Keeping with the helpful comments shared during the last round of CL matches I figured I'd start this thread. If you watch a game that's missing the beginning of a match or jumps from one match to another because of technical problems, please share this information with other members of this board so folks can re-record it during a later showing. (Setanta is pretty good about airing each match at least twice.)

Hopefully there won't be any other posts in this thread, but just in case...Take care.

2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Re: [No-R] Setanta technical problems CL Nov. 21-22

Here's one problem, the CL matches are on Setanta Nov. 21-22.

The 23rd is for UEFA Cup.

Thx,

Jay!

3. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hahaha, finding faults in those who're finding faults in others!!! That's a good one! :D

4. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line

I wish I could say that I meant to include the UEFA Cup in the thread, but....

5. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Is it just my TV or did the aspect ratio look screwy on the Setanta broadcast of Real v. Lyon? I have found that everytime Setanta shows the same game as ESPN Classic, the Setanta game looks squished. And the picture looks so much brigher on ESPN Classic. But I can't stand all the crap on the screen (including the ridicuous Earlier Today graphic in the upper right corner--if the screen doesn't say Live, which is now common for almost every live sporting event, then we know it's delayed). Take care.

6. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that "Earlier Today'' graphic does suck but think about it, the casual American youth soccer player won't really know if it is live or not.

I loved the ESPN coverage of the other game. Great comentating, the least graphics I have ever seen.

7. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    If you recorded the first showing of the Liverpool-PSV match and want to watch the Barca-Levski match, make sure you don't watch the post-game of the Liverpool-PSV match because they show highlights from the other match. I wasn't too worried about the spoilers because I only have so much time to watch CL games this week but I figured I'd share this info. Take care.

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But don't most people know that ESPN Classic sticks to X% (whatever percent) delayed or many-years-old games and events? If you have ESPN Classic, you have basic cable (in a few markets), digital cable, or satellite. The last two come with an on-screen guide which should indicate the game is not live.

With all the promotions they do about ESPN Deportes "Team ABC vs. Team DEF is now currently airing on ESPN Deportes and will air at 5 PM ET on ESPN Classic" it's a very safe bet that they're using this game as a promotional tool for ESPN Deportes. "Why should I have to wait and have the score ruined when I can watch it live on Deportes?"

I can live with the "Earlier Today" graphic though. It's a lot better than the huge ESPN Classic logo they put up in the top right sometimes. I think an earlier CL game this season had the bottom ticker, the top score bar going all the way across the screen AND a huge "ESPN Classic" logo on the top right.