[No-R] Setanta technical problems CL Dec. 5-6

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by danielmak, Dec 4, 2006.

1. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Keeping with the helpful comments shared during previous rounds of CL matches I figured I'd start this thread. If you watch a game that's missing the beginning of a match or jumps from one match to another because of technical problems, please share this information with other members of this board so folks can re-record during a later showing (Setanta is pretty good about airing each match at least twice.)

Hopefully there won't be any other posts in this thread, but just in case...Take care.

2. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I have only had a chance to watch the Roma-Valencia match but did skim the beginning of each of my Setanta recordings and can say that the following problems exist: (1) Olympiacos-Shaktar started before the scheduled start time. If you recorded all three Setanta games then you probably have the beginning of this match at the end of the Chelsea-Levski match, but I can't say for sure since I don't want to ffwd to the end of that match at this point. (2) The replay of the Galatasaray-Liverpool match started about 10 minutes before the start time, so if you planned to record the 10:30 EST showing, you're screwed. There is one more broadcast of this match. I would set it to start early and end late. (3) There are spoilers throughout the Roma-Valencia match. I figured this would occur today so I chose to start with the game that interested me most. Perhaps you did the same. But I figured I'd share this info.

I can't understand why Setanta can't follow a schedule. Of course folks with a DVR can easily compensate for this but folks using a VCR or DVD-R are screwed. It's ridiculous. Take care.

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Don't know if this helps but...

In the USA games start at 705pm for 700 TV starts.

In Europe, a 245 kickoff is a 245 kickoff. The coverage usually starts before. There's no hangup about a program starting on the telly at 240 or whatever. For instance, the Setanta live games for the EPL that kick off at 10am EST actually kick off live. Lineups, prematch walkout and other coverage starts 5 minutes before.

Don't know if that was the case, but since Setanta Live is actually live while FSC Live is sort of TiVo-Live for at least the first half it might help if you start recording that 5 minutes earlier.

Thx,

Jay!

4. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line

Actually I should note that the problem on my end is DirecTV rather than Setanta. I looked back at Setanta's Web site after I posted my comments and realized that they listed some games starting at 45 after rather than on the hour. So they had CL game1 live at 1:00 CST, game2 at 4:00 CST, and game3 at 5:45. DirecTV lists the games at 1:00, 4:00, and 6:00. The 1:00 games almost always have pre-game, half-time, and post-game commentary. But the 4:00 and 6:00 usually just air the match itself with 5 minutes pre-game, no half-time, and no post-game. Take care.