"No props" Vanney's Bastia vs. Auxerre (R)- today/Sunday

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Sep 12, 2004.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    The man many love to dismiss (le Vanney) DNP, but Bastia nail down their oh-so-typical 1-0 score. Bastia now tied with 3 other teams for first, and looks like they may have found a formula to avoid relegation zone this year (dare we say UEFA shot?)

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lineup change, or WCQ fatigue?

3. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I think its the fatigue thing....Bastia was doing fine w/Greg in the lineup..

4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 weeks into a 10 month season? I daren't, but I will cross my fingers.

5. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    5! :) And 9 pts above relegation "zone" at the moment...

Teams that play tight defense have a better shot of avoiding relegation IMO...Bastia is actually surfing off of last half of last year..in which they started 'clicking' on defense..

We'll see...

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I will go way out on a limb and suggest that Bastia will not be occupying a Euro spot at the end of the season (ok, maybe intertoto playoff for best away clubhouse cuisine.)

That said, it is a very lovely start to the season. They actually owned first place by themselves for about 24 hours last week.

Will PSG get a win this year is the real question.

7. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Although 5 games it is really early returns, I bet if one goes back and runs the stats...it is extemely low odds that a team tied for a lead in a major league winds up relegated. Majority of time, the teams with massive problems are already at mid/lower table even after 5 games...

8. FlamingTroll

FlamingTroll Member

Nov 13, 2002
    The goal was scored off a corner by Vanney's replacement Anther Yahia who later also hit the crossbar. Yahia is mentioned in an article in L'Equipe as one of the "young wolves" that new manager Ciccolini has shown confidence in. Not a good sign for M. Vanney's chances of getting back on the pitch.