(No More ) New Fekir's in a New Town: Summer Transfers II

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by EruditeHobo, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Can't vouch for the veracity but I'm reading that talented 21 yr old Brazilian mf'r Lucas Paqueta's agent is in Liverpool .
    I know nothing about him other than he's an attacking mf'r .

I wonder if we're after him or perhaps Everton.

2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's us if anyone. Maybe Liverpool Reserves.

3. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Or instead of Fekir?

4. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Fekir isn't going to ever be revisited - though its intriguing that he still hasn't signed a new contract with Lyon.

5. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think there’s a Fekir-type hole in our squad— Lallana can’t be relied upon anymore and Oxlade-chamberlain isn’t going to feature this season; I’d be surprised if we didn’t go back for Fekir or someone similar.

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    me too.

7. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Or Naby Keita could hit form and fill that role.

8. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Klopp was looking at Fekir or somebody similar for a reason. Keita is eventually going to shunt Henderson to the bench, I’d say.

9. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree. We do have players in the squad who could fill the role, however. Shaquiri did it really well for a half before being taken off.

10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, Shaqiri did but the side was unbalanced so some work still needs doing. I can see why Klopp went for Fekir as his first choice, though.

I feel sorry for, and at the same time, frustrated with Henderson who can’t just seem to have stepped up even with all the competition around him. Milner and Wijnaldum, to an extent, seem to have but Henderson always seems to play with his head down and either breaks down a move by taking many touches, far too easily gets pressured into losing possession or momentum. Yet, he seems to have all the attributes to be a dominating midfielder— we saw that in that famous run in 2013/14, and then only in glimpses since that season.

11. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure the reserves are signing any one with a 40M price tag.

12. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    hendo isn't perfect but your description ignores the many good things he does. his focus / role is to protect the back 4, break up oppo moves, maintain possession, and keep the ball moving. imo he is very very good at that, and often delivers excellent pases to the forwards (usually out wide). I sometimes think ppl expect him to do all, that plus be Steven Gerrard going forward.

on a wider note, that role description also applies to Millie and Gini (and likely Fab as well I imagine). we have an abundance of grinder-type MF players, now we need a true lock-picking player to round things out.

13. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect we'll see much more of the 13/14 Hendo once Klopp finally trusts Fabinho. He played further forward so his pressing had a more direct impact on the attack. Now when he wins/gets the ball he has 6 or 7 defenders in front of him and he's in a position where he can't really afford to take risks. Further forward his energy alone can create chances and a single ball can break the line.

I've been a Hendo skeptic, in that I think he's technically limited and his positional play defensively isn't always great when he is the 6. Further forward, his finishing is an issue, so he has limitations no matter where he plays. If he's considered our best midfielder, I don't expect we'll achieve what we want. However, as another cog in the midfield, I'm more than happy to have him doing what he is good at.

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who is even available in January that can fit the creative midfielder role?

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Jones.

maybe .... ?

16. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones? As in Curtis Jones from our reserve team? I can't see a 17 year old coming in and solving our midfield creativity issues.

17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yep, I know it won't happen .... the kid has huge potential but it is too soon/ too risky. I'd love to see him come in and get a chance to show what he can do, and have another success from the youth ranks. it's a shame we're out of the Carabao - would be great to see him get minutes

18. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If we do sign someone, will it take months before Klopp feels they are ready to contribute?

I still think Keita and Shaquiri filling that role is a better option. With some weaker opposition coming up it will be interesting to see if Klopp changes the formation to be more of a 4-2-3-1 instead of 4-3-3. We did it first half against Southampton, but Klopp thought it needed more work.

Fabinho eventually coming into the team may free up others to have more attacking freedom to support the front 3.

19. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fekir?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wingtips1 repped this.
  20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    probably, yes.

21. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the guy that tore ankle ligaments this past weekend? Fekir off.

22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah crap, I missed that little fact didn't I? Haven't been paying too much attention to Ligue 1, or the "24/7 PSG blow job", as I like to call it.

23. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not wishing to turn this into a player-bashing thread but I have heard this quite often. Of all our central midfielders, the most prone to losing a runner is Henderson.

24. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paqueta going to AC Milan apparently.

Paper talk that we are interested in signing Ramsey next summer. Depending on the money, wouldn't be opposed to that. He's a better fit than Lallana, yonger quicker, more direct.

He'd also bring the added benefit of filling Lallana's spot in the physio room after he invariably leaves us in the summer. ;)

25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I've never rated Ramsey (despite his pretty goal the other day) but then again I never rate Ox till Jurgen and his team got their hands on him .... so if he comes - fine. if he doesn't - no biggie imo.

delaynomo repped this.