No IFK signal, goal scored

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 6, 2017.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This topic seems to come up with relative frequency here, but it's rare we have good video of it happening in a high-profile match. From the UEFA U19s:

https://streamable.com/rv63t

My guess is that AR1 is the guy who saves the day, since he's the one who called the offside in the first place. It's all a reminder to keep focus, particularly after allowing a substitution on a free kick. There is the additional question of the restart: IFK do-over or goal kick--referee went with goal kick.

greek ref repped this.
  2. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal kick is not an option and was the incorrect restart - I understand it's probably easier but the LOTG are very clear, no signal, ball directly in goal, the kick MUST be retaken. Also referee signaled kick off indicating to him the goal was good so as you said someone intervened and got part of it right but they should have intervened further as a goal kick changes possession when it should have been a re-kick.

Thezzaruz, fairplayforlife and akindc repped this.
  3. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    It is very unusual for a goal to be scored directly from an IFK that came from an offside decision. Many referees do not bother to use the IFK signal for restarts from offside decision for this very reason, i.e. a shot on goal would be unlikely anyway since the ball is usually so far away from the opposing goal so why bother. The LOTG require the referee to signal for all IFKs. It is a good idea to get used to doing it for every IFK, including offside restarts.

PH

4. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    First he signals the wrong direction for the FK, then forgets to raise his arm, then indicates goal is good, then restarts with the GK. Bad day at the office.

As @camconcay notes, law 13 is clear: "An indirect free kick must be retaken if the referee fails to signal that the kick is indirect and the ball is kicked directly into the goal."

dadman, fairplayforlife and IASocFan repped this.
  5. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What a strike from that kid. 60+ yards away and he puts it right into the top corner. Too bad for him that it was disallowed.

7. Boots_McCoy

Boots_McCoy Member

Oct 14, 2015
    The LOGs are very clear about this. Retake.

All a referee can do is try shaking it off and learn from the mistake.

8. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Law 13.1 ..."Indirect free kick signal.....An indirect free kick must be retaken if the referee fails to signal that the kick is indirect and the ball is kicked directly into the goal."

9. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Anyone else care to post the quote from Law 13?
    Maybe some people didn't get it the first two times!:rolleyes:

PH

BTFOOM repped this.
  10. Boots_McCoy

Boots_McCoy Member

Oct 14, 2015
    The majority of the Referees I know do it religiously.

tomek75 repped this.
  11. Boots_McCoy

Boots_McCoy Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Also, did the Referee who failed to signal correctly do so after a substitution had been completed?

When it comes to subbing on an IFK, I try my best to avoid it under most conditions but keep in mind I do so to prevent this scenario from happening. And there are times when you can't avoid it.

12. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    what if it is direct, and he signals IFK, and a goal is scored, because the keeper moved out of the way seeing there was no other touch but the kicker's- what is the restart then

13. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Meaning that there are some, perhaps up to 49%, who do not, which was exactly my point!

PH

14. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I'll bite. Kick must still be retaken. If it is direct and an indirect signal is given, the keeper may intentionally not stop the ball. It isn't fair to either team the referee gave the wrong signal.

15. wh1s+1eR

wh1s+1eR Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Referee is Ali Palabiyik from Turkey; he Uefa Group 2.
    He give goal kick after not proper signal, he think okay, indirect kick direct into goal = goal kick. This I understand. He forget, proper help again need from same assistant who help him. For me team fail, easy say from home, someday I also have many thing happen same time as Referee Ali, I remember BigSoccer not happy, I must do proper signal.

Ismitje and greek ref repped this.
  16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I've always believed offside restarts are one of the best times to allow substitutions since they are rarely opportunities for quick restarts.

Kit, rh89 and frankieboylampard repped this.
  17. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    :) this is the wonderful thing about this board... I've learned so much from this sort of thread that I would not have come across in hundreds of games.

dadman and roby repped this.
  18. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Unfortunately for the referee it's a clear mistake. I think that his tournament is over.

19. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Two clear mistakes. Failing to raise in the first place and wrong remedy of the first mistake.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but I think @greek ref's point would be that a one-time failure to indicate an IFK isn't usually the type of thing that gets someone sent home. It's the incorrect restart (and the bad luck of having the ball go in the net in the first place) that sinks him. If the goalkeeper just catches this ball, we're never talking about the play and the failure to raise the arm is a minor point that the referee gets reminded of in his debrief.

21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best part, as (almost) always, is players complaining in one language (Czech) to a referee who speaks another language (Turkish) and them appearing to reply to one another. That you all speak virtually all languages is what impresses me most about referees. :)

22. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    International referees are given tests on their knowledge of English. Whether the professional players speak English, I can not say.

23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I kinda think he'd be packing his bags even if he had the FK re-taken -- a referee error created an apparent goal and a big mess. He just made it worse with adding on the wrong restart.

But I completely agree that if the ball had not landed in the goal it would have been a non-event that, if anything, would have bee a minor remark in post-game briefing.

(Tough to be sure just from the video, but he seems to be telling the players that the arm had been up -- which is a bit odd as he initially gives the goal. I wonder if what he was saying is that his arm went up to signal IFK before the sub took place -- we never see that in the video, but I don't think the video makes it impossible it happened when we didn't have him in the frame. If so, that would be, I surmise, his reason for a GK: that there had been a signal. I think we debated on here a few months ago (I think as a hypothetical) if dropping the arm, as opposed to never putting it up in the first place, would warrant a retake.)

Was a protest filed for the incorrect application of law in awarding a GK?

24. greek ref

greek ref Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Panathinaikos Athens
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I don't think so. UEFA hasn't announced anything. Since it's a clear TECHNICAL mistake, it could lead the match to be replayed.

25. Boots_McCoy

Boots_McCoy Member

Oct 14, 2015
    I concur.