No headers for kids

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by tudobem62014, Nov 13, 2015.

1. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Is this a good thing? Are we visionaries or are we just being overprotective? If our soccer players don't learn to head until they are 14 is there any chance to win a World Cup?

2. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Then again we can get really good at chesting. Why don't we just give the kids peter cech helmets like amateur boxers ;D

3. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understand why they are doing it, need to get ahead of any potential law suits. Probably overall a negative for development, but if there is an iron clad link between headers and concussions it's probably only a matter of time before it comes to other developed nations.

Also there is a chance this ends up as a net positive. An issue in youth sports in general is picking players who are physically more developed rather than ones who are technically skilled. This would help address that issue.

A final thing is there is precedent in little leagues that ban the curve ball. Would be interesting to see if those leagues see a drop in pitcher development.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  4. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another classic example of too many lawyers in America. Far, far too many of them.

Maybe lawyers should find more important things to do than interfere in youth soccer.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    regardless of health issues, it's probably a fine thing. Aside from Jozy Altidore (kidding, sort of), most American players are very decent Headers of the Ball tm. Playing until they are 14 without the tall kid just nodding the thing out of the way all the time cannot hurt too much. Kids might actually have to control the acorn with their, you know, feet.

6. portlanded

portlanded Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Club:
    Portland MLS
    http://thefirsteleven.com/concussions/

That article says it all imo. I don't think the ruling will do anything really, but I also don't think it'll hinder player development (may help in a weird way). I think people are just getting nervous and while the ruling won't really do anything it'll convince parents that soccer is safe and have them put their kids into the sport at a young age. Not mad about that.

7. SeminoleTom

SeminoleTom Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone that is highly interested in the safety of sports I think this is a good ruling. I know most of the concussions in soccer occur from collisions when going up for a header--- this will keep kids from even trying to do it. Let their necks muscles develop and have them work on dribbling and leg strength.

At least this shows that the USSF is interested in keeping the game safe and are in tune with the CTE crisis that football, in particular, and other sports has (including soccer).

8. Olo2317

Olo2317 Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #9 Olo2317, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
    Correct and wise decision. Let american football take the all the blame.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  9. RedGK

RedGK Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Tennessee
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because none of our kids will make it big except for a few....save them from concussions.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. david usaka

david usaka New Member

Apr 11, 2016
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have played professional soccer in Spain and soccer for 45 years and never heard of any child being hurt as a result of playing soccer...

12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You played professional soccer with kids? I'm confused.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God we had to head a casey, with thick laces. When it was soaked with water from rain or wet grass it was like heading a brick. Modern balls feel like balloons by comparison.
    upload_2017-3-15_0-57-34.jpeg

SUDano repped this.